Van Halen ended with 1984

lincoln40

• Members

you have excellent taste in music and I agree with everything you said 100%.

I got in to VH when I was 11, in 1984, so I caught them in their prime. Hearing 5150 for the first time, it was like they had turned into a lame soft-rock band; as if all of their attitude vanished along with David lee Roth.

I got to see Van Halen on the Women and Children First tour. Talas opened for them. that was a great era for VH.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow!! The young generation favoring the music of my generation, late 70s and 80s rock. Yea, I agree totally agree with you. I was a die hard VH fan until Hagar joined the band. VH was no longer VH and eddies guitar playing went to the back seat in favor of keyboards. I was fortunate enough to see VH with Roth during their diver down and fair warning tour. Man those were great times growing up in the 80s with great music. I agree with you about today's rock music being garbage.....

Dude you are so lucky you saw them in their prime. I;m so happy Roth is back with them. When they go on tour again I'm gonna go see them

• Members

I first went to LA in 1980, and everyone had a Van Halen cred - they played here, went to school there, used to hang out right here, etc. I spent a few months there again in the summer of 1985 right at the height of the hair metal scene. Van Halen (the band) was definitely the main influence in just about every band I saw - same soloing style, same framed drum kit, same hair, same everything. Their influence on the southern California music scene was enormous.

• Members

Early Van Halen is great...... except for the whole David Lee Roth thing.

I swear to god, every song has a 'I'm going to talk about some random {censored} and then squeek like a Prince dog chew-toy' moment where DLR blows it.

'Hey baby... we're gonna go to the supermarket, and then I want to watch Good Times..... owwww owww eeeeeee'

{censored}ing HATE that guy.

• Members

I definitely like the Dave-era Van Halen best - every album is amazing - but 5150 is a great album, too. In general though I like Sammy's solo stuff and Chickenfoot better than his post-5150 Van Halen. They lost a lot of the edge after that and went more... keyboardy. 5150 is just a good time, beer drinking, summer time, rock and roll party album. Not the greatest sounding album, but I dig the songs.

1984 is in my Top 10 albums of all time. Fair Warning is great.

• Members

So I discovered Van Halen about a year and a half ago. That's all I've been listening to pretty much since then. I really cant stand bands from my generation (Shinedown, Avenged Sevenfold etc etc). Van Halen was one of the greatest bands of all time. But I do not like them with Sammy Hagar. In my opinion Van Halen ended with the album 1984. Everything after that was a different band. Van Halen with Roth is an American tradition, like a 1960's Corvette and a slice of apple pie. Van Hagar is like having a diet soda or eating a Tofu turkey. That is all.

I don't get what's wrong with Shinedown? I'm 42 and remember when Guns n Roses were no more than an Aerosmith cover band. Van Halen and other "old" bands have their place but you can't just dismiss new music.

I've seen original VH and every other relevant band of that era and Shinedown are as good as any of them!!

• Members

I don't get what's wrong with Shinedown? I'm 42 and remember when Guns n Roses were no more than an Aerosmith cover band. Van Halen and other "old" bands have their place but you can't just dismiss new music.

I've seen original VH and every other relevant band of that era and Shinedown are as good as any of them!!

As far as newer popular bands go, Shinedown is actually one of the better ones, IMO.

• Members

Cookie monster singers are wanna be devil children pretending to be something they are not. Probably scared pussies under it all.

Really? Or maybe it's just another way of singing? I happened to enjoy my stint screaming in a band, and will gladly match my lyrics, ability, and musical education/background against anyone else for you. Maybe you should just think that whole statement through again.

What about Joe Cocker, or Bon Scott, or in your own example Rob Halford whose falsetto screeching probably didn't appeal much to the previous generation of 'proper' musicians.

Your whole post there just really irked the {censored} outta me.

• Members

Electric guitar rock was changed forever when the first VH album came out. Absolutely, one of my favorite bands. Early VH is definately the best, but I like Sammy too. I just wish EVH hadn't of changed his tone over the years.

• Members

So I discovered Van Halen about a year and a half ago. That's all I've been listening to pretty much since then. I really cant stand bands from my generation (Shinedown, Avenged Sevenfold etc etc). Van Halen was one of the greatest bands of all time. But I do not like them with Sammy Hagar. In my opinion Van Halen ended with the album 1984. Everything after that was a different band. Van Halen with Roth is an American tradition, like a 1960's Corvette and a slice of apple pie. Van Hagar is like having a diet soda or eating a Tofu turkey. That is all.

YOU SIR...............

ARE CORRECT:)

• Members
Just my two cents, but when Eddie's playing stopped sounding "angry" I stopped liking them as much. That pissed-off, snarly sound has always been my favorite part of VH.
:idk:

I don't actively hate the later stuff, just not my cup of tea.

In his early 20s, EVH's playing was supremely aggressive and confident, and most guys who emulate him really miss that part. It's as important as the gear side of the brown sound, if not more so. Few guitar players attacked the strings like Ed. He had a killer right hand.

After 1983-84, Ed backed way off on the gas and relaxed his playing a lot.

• Members

lincoln40 you are entitled to your opinion, and since you just now discovered one of the greatest guitarist who ever lived it shows your age. Now you can take this like a youngster and spitout something stupid or like someone mature, but I would advise you to listen very carefully to both versions of the band and make up your own mind, as the words you are saying have been told to you by someone else.

I really cant understand the joy guys get out of that {censored}ed up picture of Ed, for me it is a real sorry site. Thank God the guy at least had people around him who gave a {censored} and got him the help he needed or he would be dead.But it is good to see him these days looking close to his old self. But I could always remember him saying his father gave him his first drink and cigarette at 10 years old which sounded cool and funny at the time, but not now.

As far as the band I am partial to the Roth years but not by that wide of a gap, sure the Roth era was darker and a bit more raw but they made a lot of great music in the Hagar era also.

Some of the things I see written on forums is just mind boggling as there is not one prominent player that I have not seen someone write at one time or another that he sucks, you name them they suck.lol

• Members

How old are you by the way?

• Members

I've never been much of a VH fan...I saw them in 1978 and about a dozen times since, but not intentionally...they just happened to be on the bill.

I have a few tickets to see a VH tribute band this Saturday (The Atomic Punks) from LA at Durty Nellies in Palatine, just northwest of the city...I may or may not go...if I do it's because I have reached a point where I like like to check out tribute bands more than the real deal...or something:confused:

Archived