So, would this bug Ya?

Marshack

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Checked the plate. It may be off a little but not near enough. The pic is deceiving in this regard. I put a straight edge on the wood, and compared to the neck. It's slanted no doubt. Sucks.

This is the second strat that has had issues. I tried to buy one 5 years ago, and gave up.

• Members
Over the last couple of weeks, I wasn't able to find a single issue with my new AM ST strat. Then I saw it!

At first glance it appears the Neck plate was drilled, and installed crooked!

But it's not! Further examination shows the the neck plate is attached correctly. The real problem is that the end of the heel was cut or sanded at a angle, but it sure does make the neck plate look crooked. Holding the guitar straight up, and looking at the back, the distance between the top of the plate, and END of the heal varies from one side to the other by 1/16". There no real issue other than cosmetic. Just looked at 30 start backs on sweetwater, and thought many are not absolutely perfect, I didn't see one with this much slant. Hmmm,

Otherwise the guitar was just wahat I wanted, and had just the right wood grain pattern I was looking for on the 3 Tone finish.

Am I being OCD again?............................

If it's recently new, No. Fender is so backed up on production they're shipping American guitars that reeeeeeeeeeeeeeek of paint/clear etc. They can't box them up fast enough. I was looking at one a few weeks back and the truss rod skunk stripe was pushing its way back out of the neck. :facepalm:

• Members

The RW stripe should be straight. Tape some string to the center of the stripe where it starts and pull it tight over the plate and it should tell you what's square.

You can't assume that the edge is straight. Looks to me like maybe they sanded the edge a little too much and had to shift the plate over a little.

Maybe you can loosen the bolts and shift it a little to make it less noticeable.

Post a pic with the string centered and pulled taught across the plate.

• Members

OK then, I think it's going back tomorrow!

This was not to be my main guitar, (I'm converted a strat to Hss for that duty). but was to be my special purpose "Traditional" strat. I have had other second thoughts to go MORE 50's vintage. Perhaps I can use this as an opportunity?

I see my choices as/

1, An American Vintage. This is even more $$, and I'm very leary of spending that much on Fender now. F4ender, see what happens when you FU>

2, MIM Classic 50's Strat. I'd be worried about hardware quality, but I could upgrade the PU's to custom shop vintage models, and get the true strat sound? Also those tiny frets!, and the 7.5 radius! I just don't know????Hmmm

3, Vintage vibe Squier. Well this one looks awesome, but I don't think I could do it!

1 American

• Members

OK then, I think it's going back tomorrow!

This was not to be my main guitar, (I'm converted a strat to Hss for that duty). but was to be my special purpose "Traditional" strat. I have had other second thoughts to go MORE 50's vintage. Perhaps I can use this as an opportunity?

I see my choices as/

1, An American Vintage. This is even more $$, and I'm very leary of spending that much on Fender now. F4ender, see what happens when you FU>

2, MIM Classic 50's Strat. I'd be worried about hardware quality, but I could upgrade the PU's to custom shop vintage models, and get the true strat sound? Also those tiny frets!, and the 7.5 radius! I just don't know????Hmmm

3, Vintage vibe Squier. Well this one looks awesome, but I don't think I could do it!

1 American

Good cause if it bothers you now, it will always bother you.

• Members

Over the last couple of weeks, I wasn't able to find a single issue with my new AM ST strat. Then I saw it!

At first glance it appears the Neck plate was drilled, and installed crooked!

But it's not! Further examination shows the the neck plate is attached correctly. The real problem is that the end of the heel was cut or sanded at a angle, but it sure does make the neck plate look crooked. Holding the guitar straight up, and looking at the back, the distance between the top of the plate, and END of the heal varies from one side to the other by 1/16". There no real issue other than cosmetic. Just looked at 30 start backs on sweetwater, and thought many are not absolutely perfect, I didn't see one with this much slant. Hmmm,

Otherwise the guitar was just wahat I wanted, and had just the right wood grain pattern I was looking for on the 3 Tone finish.

Am I being OCD again?............................

{censored}ing Gibson and their quality control!!! :mad:

;) Just kidding. It doesn't hurt anything but if you don't like it send it back. It's you who should be satisfied.

• Members

well thinking about this for a few hours, I reached the only possible conclusion....

Take that bitch back, and purchase a Eric Johnson model! :idea::love:

It's the only reasonable thing to do!

Honestly, Its just exactly what i want. Full vintage specs, and Mojo, but with Jumbo frets. Hell Ya!

BUT, where in the hell am I going to find one? And the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$:facepalm:

• Members

No offense, but but if I were the store owner I wouldn't take it back...not after 3 weeks...not for that.

Or if I did take it back I'd tell you to shop somewhere else in the future.

You know I kinda agree. It's fender that should make good. It may be a small issue, but this was a $1000 guitar, their flagship. I would have expected that V.V. would have done a better inspection. But, I think we know Fender won't do anything. The store is their representative. They took on that obligation when they signed on as a dealer.

• Members

You know I kinda agree. It's fender that should make good. It may be a small issue, but this was a $1000 guitar, their flagship. I would have expected that V.V. would have done a better inspection. But, I think we know Fender won't do anything. The store is their representative. They took on that obligation when they signed on as a dealer.

You are right, that's pretty much how it works. I had a neck issue with my new MIA Standard a while back. Brought it back to shop. The shop sent it back and fender sent a fresh neck. The shop wasn't out anything. Fender compensated them for the additional setup.

The shop does the initial inspection to see if you have a warranty claim. If they decide yes, then they package it up and send it back to fender for inspection, repair and/or replacement. It's worth the time if you aren't happy with it and don't worry about offending the shop. They make out in the end too. I wouldn't be happy either ( can see the pics now btw).

• Members

No offense, but but if I were the store owner I wouldn't take it back...not after 3 weeks...not for that.

Or if I did take it back I'd tell you to shop somewhere else in the future.

That is exactly why I buy from Sweetwater and Guitar Center. That way it does not seem personal. If i wanna send something back...I don't feel like it's going to ruin someone's day.

Archived