So, would this bug Ya?

Marshack

• Members

Over the last couple of weeks, I wasn't able to find a single issue with my new AM ST strat. Then I saw it!

At first glance it appears the Neck plate was drilled, and installed crooked!

But it's not! Further examination shows the the neck plate is attached correctly. The real problem is that the end of the heel was cut or sanded at a angle, but it sure does make the neck plate look crooked. Holding the guitar straight up, and looking at the back, the distance between the top of the plate, and END of the heal varies from one side to the other by 1/16". There no real issue other than cosmetic. Just looked at 30 start backs on sweetwater, and thought many are not absolutely perfect, I didn't see one with this much slant. Hmmm,

Otherwise the guitar was just wahat I wanted, and had just the right wood grain pattern I was looking for on the 3 Tone finish.

Am I being OCD again?............................

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK, the pic is misleading because of a bad angle.

The neck plate, and neck are in perfect alignment, even though it doesn't appear that way. The issue is you can see the slant that the heel end was cut too.

BTW the slant is condusive to better upper fret access!

Guy's I paid alot, and never sell guitars, so I just want to be sure I want ot look at it for 30 years.

crook.jpg

• Members

do the strings center on the pickups?

...if so it's a minor issue...play the hell out of it and stop worrying ove the little things...

Yes, everything's in perfect alignment.

You guy's see what I mean about the illusion that the plate is crooked. I assure you it's not!

• Members

If it's not something that affects the function of the guitar then I wouldn't really care as long as I was totally happy with the guitar.

Having said that I would think that fender allowing that out of the shop is a bit suspect, and reflects poorly on their standards. Other companies would not let that happen.

• Members

If I was otherwise 100% happy with the guitar I'd try hard for a discount and if not try and write it off as 'character', if not 100% happy I'd return it. Its not like Strats are rare and if your keeping if for the long term it will end up bugging you.

PS when did Gibson start making Strats?!

• Members

1st question: Nope, it took a couple weeks of scrutiny to even find it and not much in this world is perfect.

2nd question: Yep, but if the pain of knowing it's there out weighs all of it's positive qualities, get rid of it.

Personally, I'd take my imperfect self, my imperfect guitar and make imperfect music for an imperfect world.

• Members
Dam, More negative comments than expected!

Just to be sure, here is a better pic.

cr2.jpg

It's not the body, it's the plate. Look at the amount of metal around each screw? Looks normal on the left, but too thin on the right. Get a better pic and post again, but I think that's your problem.

• Members

I just looked at my Strat, on mine the lines across the top are parallel but down the left side it's off slightly. If I squared up my left side my top would be off like yours is but by a slightly smaller margin. My guess is the screw holes in the plate are off but if the guitar sounds and feels good I wouldn't dare change a thing especially the whole guitar!

Archived