December Great Deals Thread - *READTHIS>>>NoSpamAllowed!!<<READTHIS*

Mazi Bee

• Members

I'm not going to continue with the debate, but driving people to your site only to screw them over after purchasing is beyond counter productive. To paraphrase an old saying, "Give someone a good deal and 10 people hear about; give someone a bad deal and 100 people hear about it.

The logistics of making this work and payoff are not worth it in the long run. But, hey, what do i know?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What is the mark-up on typical guitar stuff??? 100% + I bet.

Depends on the item but one example I know is the gibson LP studio faded. Sells for 799.00. Their cost is right around 500 or even less. They can take 20% off the top, sell it for what most people would think is a great price of 640.00 and still make a decent profit. Other items have less margin, some items have MUCH more than 100% margin. Cables and other accessories for example. Look at a store like best buy selling a printer cable or usb cable or hdmi cable or something like that for 30 or 40 bucks. Their cost on those is probably less than 10 bucks, maybe even closer to 5 bucks.

I can only imagine the markup on things like instrument cables and speaker cables and mic stands and {censored} like that. I'm willing to bet that it's more than 100% on most of them.

• Members

MXR Carbon Copy at Amazon $121.36.

http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Dunlop-M169-Carbon-Analog/dp/B0016ZZKJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1291929985&sr=1-1

I was going to try to price match, but Music 123 is out of stock. What's up with them, Are they going out of business? They are out of stock on a lot of things. Peavy PV14, Yamaha MG166CX, and pretty much anything else I've tried to order lately.

• Members

Well all things being equal and if the MF free shipping does not get in the way I lean toward purchasing from M123 thanks to some of the price match deals they gave me.

And that right there is why they do it, and why they know it's a good idea. Even if they lose some profit, I guarantee you they are not losing money. Even if they make less on the sale, they are still making more than if you ordered somewhere else.

• Members
Ibanez FL9 Flanger Reissue - $49.99 sale

238907.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-FL9-Flanger-Reissue?sku=150342

Music 123 will not price match -23% due to this item being a backorder item - although still a good bargain at Musicians Friend for the sale price

And don't forget Discover cash back is currently at 10% at MF, so you could get another $5 off if you use your Discover card and access MF through the portal at discovercard.com

• Members

What is the mark-up on typical guitar stuff??? 100% + I bet.

For most items, the actual cost to the dealer is 50% of MSRP. So a guitar that is $1000 full retail, cost the reseller $500. This is known as an "A markup." Some items, like effects and keyboards, are actually "B markup" which means they cost the resell 60% of full retail. Once in a while, a reseller will score a deeper discount if the buy A LOT of an item but lately these deeper discounts are pretty rare.

Oh, and for items like strings and cables it is whole different story. Usually a $10 cable cost the resell $1-2. That is where the real money is for a reseller.

• Members

And don't forget Discover cash back is currently at 10% at MF, so you could get another $5 off if you use your Discover card and access MF through the portal at discovercard.com

I was going to post this again. I think I mentioned it last month. My only concern with posting it for the flanger is that it's on backorder and if they don't charge the credit card during the promotion period you may not get the 10%.

All that said the promotion from Discover Card has always been at least 5%. Either way the Ibanez FL9 at $49.99 is good deal no matter how you slice it. I just hope they ship them eventually.

• Members

I got the Epi Valve Junior, too. No tax or shipping. Just the deal I've been waiting for. I'm stoked. I'll be using it with my Squier CV 50s Tele, that I got from them last Dec. for $100 off using a coupon code. Sometimes, I lurves me some Music123!

• Members

How are you all having success with the Valve JR? I used the price match form on the website and Amber J. said they could offer me the amp for $144. Why the hell would I do that when Guitar Center is 3 minutes away? Not a very good way to earn business...

• Members

How are you all having success with the Valve JR? I used the price match form on the website and Amber J. said they could offer me the amp for $144. Why the hell would I do that when Guitar Center is 3 minutes away? Not a very good way to earn business...

I got my approval through email. On the M123 site there is a button at the top of each item to submit a price match.

• Members

I rolled the dice with M123 today and received an email from Tiffany; valve junior for $60.37 plus shipping. Including the shipping, it was still less than GC's price of $79. So, I made my first ever purchase from M123. Thanks to all of you for making me aware of these price match plus a percentage deals.

• Members

I got my approval through email. On the M123 site there is a button at the top of each item to submit a price match.

Hmm, that's exactly what I did. I guess it must depend on how generous the individual who gets your request feels...

• Members

Oh Snap!

I'm in for one with free shipping for $60.37!

I replied to the email that one of my friends had the price beaten by Tiffany and about 2 minutes later I got an email from Andrew Pa stating they would honor the price and throw in free shipping!

Awesome! Thank you all for posting about this going through, I would never have emailed them back if I didn't know so many of you had success.

• Members

Oh Snap!

I'm in for one with free shipping for $60.37!

I replied to the email that one of my friends had the price beaten by Tiffany and about 2 minutes later I got an email from Andrew Pa stating they would honor the price and throw in free shipping!

Awesome! Thank you all for posting about this going through, I would never have emailed them back if I didn't know so many of you had success.

isn't andrew Pa the one that told someone earlier that he wouldn't do any lower than 149? This is what I was talking about earlier when I said that the way they've handled the 123% price matching policy is a joke. They make you go through all kinds of hassle to get them to honor it. I managed to get them to honor it for a couple of items but I had to fight for the price every single time. They have never honored the 123% match on my first match request. It's always been a freakin hassle.

• Members

As a suggestion for the Valve Jr buyers I recommend as a best dollar spent upgrade either the OT8SE or the OT10SE Output Transformers from Musical Power Supply as a equal choice to the Hammond ones. Cheaper and Matt is a great guy to deal with. The Output Transformer upgrade really made a big difference on mine (I have the Version II) more so than changing tubes. Your going to love your new amp. I guarantee it!

• Members

Archived