Somewhat OT but this is my internet home and its a sad day for me

nuke_diver

• Members

Today we had to say goodbye for the last time to our dog Violet

We had talked about the "day" for a couple of weeks because Violet had not been doing well but this week Violet started having a lot of trouble and we knew it was very soon. We had planned to bring her in on Sunday after as Steak dinner because in spite of everything she still loved to eat.

But this morning she had a terrible time, maybe she had a small stroke and we knew we had to release her from her pain. She could not get up and was leaning to one side. So we knew we had to do it right away. It was very fast very peaceful and very hard for Bev and I. We are both in a daze and my heart is broken right now. I've not been able to stop crying for a few hours. I certainly cannot face the world for a while.

Last night I asked her to give us a sign she was ready and perhaps she may have. Still the house seems cold without her. She was just a dog but she was our baby and she clearly stole our hearts. I know she is in a better place where she is without pain and clearly if there is a heaven she is there because heaven would be hell without dogs.

She lived a long and wonderful life (16 1/2 years) and gave us so much joy. I'll never forget her and I miss her greatly

I wrote a song for her a while back and recorded it but never got it the way I wanted it nor did I ever write any lyrics for it..yet. It is a pretty song I think just like she was. It always sounded better when I played it for her. I supposed this keeps it on topic because it's an electric guitar song. Maybe Jkater will comment on my fingerpicking too.

Violet's song

Pictures of my pretty dog. This one is pretty much like she looked after she was gone. The vet said her eyes would probably not close but they did..another sign she was ready I guess.

Violet4121705.jpg

Guarding the treasures

5preciousitems.jpg

Happy dog

CIMG0006.jpg

Sorry if I bum out anyone. It's a hard day for me..this somehow helps

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Condolences man. I know how it feels. I still get teary eyed thinking about a cat I had for 20 years. Sorry for your loss. Hit the pound as soon as you feel like it and get a new pup. There are so many homeless dogs out there looking for good homes. Judging form the photos, yours is a good home.

• Members

Damn man. Sorry for your loss. :cry:

Im not a dog person at all but just reading your story I got kinda choked up.

I can kind of feel your pain in the words. I know its hard to see a part of your

family pass but you can sleep a little easier knowing she doesnt have to suffer

any longer.

Again, sorry for your loss.

• Members

oh ya, I relate totally. My dogs are my "people". They sleep in bed with me when they want. Its difficult to "send them off" even though you know it is the right thing to do. You just gotta remind yourself what a great life you gave them compared to some poor pets in the world.

• Members

I feel for you man. I lost my Beagle Sassy a few years back, She was my soul mate and to this day I miss her. I have a German Short Hair now that is getting up there and the thought of losing him has been weighing heavy on me.

Take time for grieving and get a puppy. It will rejuvenate your spirits. The pup may never be the same of as great as your last but give it a chance and believe me you will come around again.

• Members

Sorry to hear of your loss, Dave. I can really relate as I grew up with dogs. We always had a dog. One, my dearest and the one we had the longest, was hit by a car in front of my very eyes.

Violet's song was totally sweet. The fingerpicking was spot on, (I had the thought of you gently scratching violet behind the ear as I imagined the fingers plucking the strings. I know my dogs loved that).

• Members

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I have been through that three times in my life at it never got easier or less sad.

I think that the highest duty one has to a dog (or human) is to stand by them as their days come to an end, seeing that they are taken care of and letting them know that they are loved. The other prices we pay to have dogs in our lives (buying one, picking up poop, exams at the vet's, etc.) are so much smaller than the final price of seeing them through the end. I can tell from your post that you met this highest duty with honor. I am sure that Violet knew this as well.

• Members

Sorry for your loss. There's a lot to be said for a good dog. They give us nothing but unconditional love and devotion, and all they ask for is to be loved back, a roof over their head, food and water in the bowls, and for us to know when the time comes, that we will make the hard decision to end their suffering.

I still get misty when I think about my Shepherd, but I would gladly take the pain again, to know his suffering is over. (he had cancer)

mourn for her, remember her, and all the good times, and when the time is right, welcome another little buddy into your hearts and home.

Peace

Archived