Somewhat OT but this is my internet home and its a sad day for me

nuke_diver

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Very very sorry to hear.:cry: I recently got a pet, he's only a year and a half old and I already dread the day. I love him to death and I can't imagine, I've already had to deal with a couple pets going that I grew up with at home with my parents, it's not an easy thing at all.

Wish you all the best man.

• Members

RIP Violet, & so sorry for your loss. You gave her much love & a good home for all those years, she lived a good long life.
Putting a beloved pet down has been one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. The hardest part is finally realizing that keeping them alive is only for YOUR benefit, not theirs . After we had to put our two cats down, we couldn't bear to have another pet for over a year. But we started missing the company & finally adopted two more & couldn't be happier.

• Members

My sympathies Nuke Diver. It's never easy. It wasn't easy for me, when I found our first Miniature Schnauzer, Kippy, dead, when I came home for lunch, when I was in 5th Grade. It was just as hard for me, when I had to send off my cat Cleo a week before Xmas in 2006, due to her going into massive kidney failure (I was there petting her when she was put to sleep - she was comatose). It'll be hard when I have to let my senior kitty Sugar go (she's 13, and her kidneys are getting a little iffy).

When Kippy died, my parents said they would never get another dog. Within 4 weeks, we badly missed having a dog around, and adopted Pepper, another Miniature Schnauzer. She lived for 13 wonderful years. She never replaced Kippy, but instead created her own place in our hearts. Ditto, for Sarah, whom I adopted after Cleo died. In time, I hope you and your wife will do like I did with Sarah, give a shelter animal a good life. My Sarah had been at the cat shelter I volunteer at, for almost a year, when I took her home on Xmas Eve Day 2006. I had been considering doing so, and was ready to leave the shelter, after helping with the cleaning, to drop off 3 adopted kittens at their new home. Sarah, was so upset with being put back in her cage, that I said to myself, "that does it!, she's coming home with me!" I took Sarah home with me, and she's been with me ever since. She's quite the little lover, and I spoil her rotten. Mojo sent your way. I hope you give another dog (or a cat) a home.

• Members

I hope you feel better nuke diver. I had to do something very similar November 2nd. I was a mess for about 3 or 4 weeks afterward. I still get quite sad if I think about it for too long. The little fella was a great friend and I'll miss him forever.

It does get better with time but I feel for you and for anyone who loves their pets & loses them.

• Members

Nuke_Diver,

I am re-married. I have step kids, and a son that I am not close to right now. So like you, our dogs are "our" kids. I hope you are doing better. That is a great story about the hip surgery. I really think dogs go to the right family. Lamb Chop (white german shepard) is healthy, but has passive/aggressive stuff that we had to deal with. My wife took on a lot of work with Lamb Chop, and she is doing a lot better.

Take care.

- w

• Members

One last time thanks everyone. It's now day 3 AV (after Violet). Yesterday at work was tough still but today seems better (thanks for asking Woody_in_MN). My wife was amazed when I told her how many of the good folks at HCEG offered their condolances.

You guys and gals are tops :thu::thu:

Thanks again

• Members

Hi Nuke_Diver,

if you think about it, dogs are so amazing. Without a seconds hesitation, they would give their life for you. And if they could, they would glady do it again. Amazingly social animals. Amazingly deserving of respect and love. It looks like you had a good 'un. And you too knotty. A good 'un.

• Members

You folks are probably gonna laugh, but my daughter had a guinea pig for about 7.5 years, and he died the day before she left for college this August (weird timing, huh?) Anyway, it's funny how attached we'd all gotten to the little critter, and when I prepare vegetables I still sometimes find myself putting aside the trimmings for "Horatio" only to sadly remember he's no longer with us. He was a pretty cool little piggy -- and potty-trained to boot.

I know it's not the same as a dog, but it's the best I have. Anyway -- I hope that violet's in a place where all the mailmen, squirrels and cats run REAAALLLLY slow!

• Members

My condolences on your loss of Violet.

I lost my "Henry-dog" 4 years ago now, and I still to this day get very sad about that loss. It is a big loss in my life that to this day has left a big void.

Henry was only 11.5 when he died. He'd been diabetic and Labs don't last all that long to begin with.

Like your Violet, Henry was a big pink nosed lovable bastid, my best friend and my favorite son.

I couldn't even talk about it for days without starting to sob or tear up.

Weird as it sounds, it was harder for me to lose that dog than it was to lose my mother when she died at 60. :confused:

But if it's a good dog, the bonds can grow very tight and deep.

So sorry.

My Henry

Henrydog.jpg

May they romp in doggie heaven.

Archived