Somewhat OT but this is my internet home and its a sad day for me

nuke_diver

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Today we had to say goodbye for the last time to our dog Violet

We had talked about the "day" for a couple of weeks because Violet had not been doing well but this week Violet started having a lot of trouble and we knew it was very soon. We had planned to bring her in on Sunday after as Steak dinner because in spite of everything she still loved to eat.

But this morning she had a terrible time, maybe she had a small stroke and we knew we had to release her from her pain. She could not get up and was leaning to one side. So we knew we had to do it right away. It was very fast very peaceful and very hard for Bev and I. We are both in a daze and my heart is broken right now. I've not been able to stop crying for a few hours. I certainly cannot face the world for a while.

Last night I asked her to give us a sign she was ready and perhaps she may have. Still the house seems cold without her. She was just a dog but she was our baby and she clearly stole our hearts. I know she is in a better place where she is without pain and clearly if there is a heaven she is there because heaven would be hell without dogs.

She lived a long and wonderful life (16 1/2 years) and gave us so much joy. I'll never forget her and I miss her greatly

I wrote a song for her a while back and recorded it but never got it the way I wanted it nor did I ever write any lyrics for it..yet. It is a pretty song I think just like she was. It always sounded better when I played it for her. I supposed this keeps it on topic because it's an electric guitar song. Maybe Jkater will comment on my fingerpicking too.

Violet's song

Pictures of my pretty dog. This one is pretty much like she looked after she was gone. The vet said her eyes would probably not close but they did..another sign she was ready I guess.

Violet4121705.jpg

Guarding the treasures

5preciousitems.jpg

Happy dog

CIMG0006.jpg

Sorry if I bum out anyone. It's a hard day for me..this somehow helps

I know exactly what you are feeling - as it is nearly the 2nd anniversary of my dog Teak's passing. April 3rd, 2009 I had to have her put down, as she was very ill and dying. I remember posting about it here as well, and it did make me feel much better sharing my thoughts, pictures and so forth with others.

I still think of here nearly every day - I did get another dog (Gibson!) shortly after, and he is just as much a part of my life as Teak was. Both were pound rescues and I am sure when it is time for #3, I will help another dog in need.

Keep remembering all the good times, and if you are like me, having a few pictures around the house helped me. Talking about it was also a big help.

Anyhow, I feel for you. A good dog is a hard thing to lose when they are like a family member.

Take care,

AJC

• Members

Condolences for such a painful event. For such a big dog 16-1/2 years is actually pretty remarkable. Thankfully all the memories you have can never be taken away.

I went through a similar thing with my 14 year old dog. A stroke or virus weakened one side of his body and when he stood he looked woozy and was content to just lay there in summer heat letting flies land on his nose (a death sentence according to the vet).

Archived