Hmmm....return of the SCHON guitar?

pimphat22

• Members

Just found this the other day on Neal Schon's Facebook page. (I'm a big fan and was able to become one of his 5000 facebook friends.) Anyway, he posted this cell phone pic and stated that this was the first of many more to come but he couldnt go too far into details.

newschon.jpg

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but i was a huge fan of the original Jackson version and i'm pretty stoked about seeing it. Looks to have the sustainer and Floyd he uses on just about all his guitars . No idea who the maker will be but the inlay's look just like some of the Fernandes inlays i've seen. And since they produce his sustainer pup....it may be a safe bet to think they would be the builder. Anyway.... Just thought i'd share. :thu:

• Members

I think he sounds best with modded Les Pauls. Interesting guitar though.

agreed. Saw him w/ Journey last year & he sounded epic with his LP, but quite the opposite when he pulled out the PRS :cop:

That being said, I've always found something about the Schon guitars refreshing. They're both unique and innovative. :thu:

• 11 months later...
  • Members

agreed. Saw him w/ Journey last year & he sounded epic with his LP, but quite the opposite when he pulled out the PRS
:cop:

That being said, I've always found something about the Schon guitars refreshing. They're both unique and innovative.
:thu:

saw Journey front row, center stage in summer '01 - still got the guitar picks from him and jonathan cain. i ended up with so many picks I was giving them away to the fans. some of the band came in riding harleys with what looked to be members of the family that owns Daddy's Junky Music. Anyway, whatever he was playing sounded fantastic. Frampton opened for them, and he sounded great too. He's a real funny guy, and probably one of the best frontmen I have ever seen. and I'm very glad I got to see bob mayo live with frampton as well, before he passed. bob was an amazingly talented musician.

but yeah, that guitar is cool just not my thing.

• Members

Ed Roman built the one in the picture you posted IIRC.

I know he has built a ton of guitars for Neil Schon.

He bought out all of the leftover bodies and also offers an Abstract branded copy that is much higher quality.

Grover Jackson and Mike Shannon (who built the Jackson RR) have both worked for Ed Roman as builders.

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/schon.htm

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/schon/parts.htm

Original body cores made in 1982 by Jackson are 1600 - 2000 depending on paint, etc.... It's a hard guitar to find but if you located one it would probably be cheaper as there probably is not much demand for these.

• Members

Ed Roman built the one in the picture you posted IIRC.

I know he has built a ton of guitars for Neil Schon.

He bought out all of the leftover bodies and also offers an Abstract branded copy that is much higher quality.

Grover Jackson and Mike Shannon (who built the Jackson RR) have both worked for Ed Roman as builders.

Original body cores made in 1982 by Jackson are 1600 - 2000 depending on paint, etc.... It's a hard guitar to find but if you located one it would probably be cheaper as there probably is not much demand for these.

The Schon model didn't exist in 1982. Ed's good for some level of misinformation, including the notion that he made any significant number of guitars for Neal Schon.

Anyway, aesthetically speaking, I prefer the Fernandes Ravelle to the resurrected Schon.

• Members

A Schon modded LP is one guitar that is on a very short, very ridiculous, all time GAS list for me. It's like everything that's right rolled into one even though I've never messed with a sustainer. :lol:

As for his playing, I've been working out the solo to Any Way You Want It for about 2 days straight now, nearly frickin non-stop it seems like. I know that any Journey song is going to have that payoff at some point and it's almost always tasty as hell. :thu:

• Members

Geez how many builders made the Schon guitar we see with the metal string tailpieces? I heard Jackson back in the day, but now this thread mentioning Gibson and Guild as well. When did all this occur?

Gibson made a couple prototypes. I am not sure if they ever produced any. Ed Roman came into possession of some file cabinets full of Gibson documents. I believe this is when he purchased the contents of the Steinberger factory, and discovered plans for Gibson to produce the guitar.

The issue with Jackson was that they simply could not meet demand. Ed's own experiences with Grover are similar, Grover is currently building the necks for the Quicksilver Guitars. Ed has discovered that Grover is such an incredible perfectionist that getting product finished is a real challenge. Fortunately for Ed he is also making several other brands of guitars & Quicksilvers are not the only means of income. The Grover Jackson made Quicksilver necks are excellent & worth waiting for.

All The Original Schon Guitars Were Made By Jackson USA In The 80's. Jackson Failed To Deliver The Guitars To Neal Schon On Time so Neal Schon Lost A Lot Of Potential Sales & Sued Jackson. Jackson Ceased Production Of the 250 Guitars they were making at the time 20 Years Later Jackson Sold To Fender. Fender Wanted No Part Of The Schon's So Ed Roman Bought All The Existing Inventory Some Were Complete Some Were Painted, Some Were simply Bodyblanks.

If you want the Ferarri Rails, Ed also is manufacturing those and sells them individually. I think they're about $40 each, which IMHO is kind of pricey but it's a hard part to find.

IMHO the Abstract is probably a higher quality guitar but Ed won't put the Schon decal on them and they cost more then the Jackson version.

Neat guitar but not my style.

Here are the ones for sale:

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/schon_for_sale.html

If you search Ed's site there is the info about the Gibson documents and photo scans of them on there somewhere.

schon_024.jpg

Archived