I'm not loving my Duesenberg Pickups

burton4snow

• Members
... Is the BG P-90 humbucker size about as true to a P-90 sound your gonna get in a Humbucker sized P-90 ...

With out a doubt Yes. Beyond the fact that Bryan winds a great P90 to start with, his HB sized / Pure 90 follows as close as you can get to following real P90 specs. An important part of that formula is the use of real P90 parts and a full plastic cover as opposed to other manufactures using humbucker baseplates, humbucker bobbins, and metal humbucker covers. Thats not to say the others can not sound good, they have their own thing going on, but they can lack some of that full P90 flavor.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I... consider asking both to rewind the pickups that you already have ...

Thats about the only point I'd disagree on. I think it might be best to either keep the originals for re-sale value or sell them outright to fund the swap. Duesenburg pickups should fetch a decent price as the only way to get them is in a new guitar.

• Members
Yes. The Pure 90 is true to the P90 sound. Essentially, they are P90s with the ends cut off. Bryan will wind them to meet your tone needs. Best pups I've ever played. Use 500k Ohm audio taper brass shaft pots for both volume and tone controls along with 022 caps.

what would be the tonal difference with, say, 300K pots and .022 orange drop?

• Members
what would be the tonal difference with, say, 300K pots and .022 orange drop?

Don't know. I'd guess a bit darker and maybe a good solution if you thought the pups were a bit too bright. I recommended the 500k and 022 Orange drops because that's what I used on my semihollow and got great results. Loved using the audio taper too, nice even change along the pot's entire range and huge tone range.

• Members
And you have clips and a lot of building experience to demonstrate this?

Every time I've been to that site they never have any stock

There are many semi pro builders on this site that know that GFS single coils are among the best of the middle ground of aftremarket pickups available, and they hang very well with some DiMs, Duncans. Their Retrotrons are also a superb replacement pickups, and GFS best stuff is only aced by the boutique makers, BG etc.

But if you have suitable experience and clips to demonstrate your obvious knowledge then I will be very happy to listen

That's pretty much what I read and I didn't see any insult in there either, ubless you maybe blinked in an insulting way when you typed?
:confused:

you didn't look very damn hard then, there is an entire sound clip section on the Rose site... and while you're at it, search you tube for Rose Pickups and New Dawn guitars... Ken has a few videos up, one being of his prototype with his hand wound p 90's in it...

• Moderators
you didn't look very damn hard then, there is an entire sound clip section on the Rose site... and while you're at it, search you tube for Rose Pickups and New Dawn guitars... Ken has a few videos up, one being of his prototype with his hand wound p 90's in it...

I was asking for your clips that demonstrate that in your experience the Rose pickups are better than the GFS equivalent?

I search everywhere looking for da Diceman using a GFS P90.......maybe you can link me?:confused:

• Members
I recommended the 500k and 022 Orange drops because that's what I used on my semihollow and got great results. Loved using the audio taper too, nice even change along the pot's entire range and huge tone range.

I'm having a tech put these in. Since the Duesenberg is a semi hollow and you say you are having good luck with this setup I might look into this. Were do I buy the electronics your talking about above? Sorry I don't know much about the pots and other electronics!

• Members
I was asking for your clips that demonstrate that in your experience the Rose pickups are better than the GFS equivalent?

I search everywhere looking for da Diceman using a GFS P90.......maybe you can link me?
:confused:

i don't have any GFS P 90's, i have BG Pure 90's:poke:... i'm going by what i've heard with my ears and what others who have experience with both have said... maybe much better was the wrong choice of words, but, Ken is a friend of mine and i do know that he runs a tight ship. he doesn't just get boxes in and then ship them out, he physically touches every pickup that comes into his shop... of course, he's nowhere near as big of a company as Jay...

i had a set of GFS Mean 90's (never installed them) and sold them to get the BG's... although, jelloman did just drop a set of Mean 90's in his Epi LP and says they are great, nothing like a BG Pure 90, but great...

i have nothing against GFS products. i have GFS electronics in two of my guitars, a GFS pedal tuner that i absolutely love, GFS bridges on two of my guitars, and GFS power supplies for my pedal board. the only thing that i will flat ass refuse to buy from Jay is strings, the Xaviere strings are utter trash... as a matter of fact, i'm quite interested in the Retrotron pups, but bottom line, if Ken from Rose ever offers that style... i'll buy from him.

• Members
I'm having a tech put these in. Since the Duesenberg is a semi hollow and you say you are having good luck with this setup I might look into this. Were do I buy the electronics your talking about above? Sorry I don't know much about the pots and other electronics!

get CTS audio taper pots from all parts...

• Members

I usually buy that kind of thing on Guitarpartsresources. Good prices, service and fast shipping.

A lot of guys would recommend linear taper pots for the tone controls since they'll go from full dark to full bright with a small flick of the finger but I prefer the audio taper for more precise control.

I do my own work but a good tech is a great option when it comes to semihollows. I don't mind working on them and once you get the hang of it, it's not difficult but if you're not sure, a tech is the way to go.

One last thing, P90 are very sensitive to height adjustment, so you'll have to fool around with that to find your sweet spot.

I'd love to hear how it works out for you once you get it done.
:thu:

• Moderators

You should find tha the pots in that guitar are very suitable for the job.

They need two tests, DC resistance check and an operational check, your tech should be able to tell you if they're good enough, if he's good enough, otherwise, being a semi it could get a tad more difficult swapping the new pots in.

As it is, if it can be avoided, swapping in the new pickups is easy to achieve by clipping the wires close to the pickup and splicing the new ones in.

It's part of the raeson why I said earlier that getting your current pickups rewound would be a good bet

First thing to do is check how much your tech is gonna charge you to:

A: Straight pickup swap - how he's going to do it?
B: Full harness replacement

With a semi, some techs (dependant on technique etc) will baulk at a full harness swap, so feel your way with him to make sure he's fully confident......it ain't an easy job....well at least not as easy a LP type setup.

• Members
And here's a personal favorite of mine.

http://hcbts.arkay.de/frets99/Messiah%20Will%20Come%20AgainDream%20180s2.mp3

Now this may not be the tone the OP is looking for but after he said he didn't have a lot of money to spend, I thought it might be worthwhile to look at one of the best bang for the buck inexpensive pickups out there and not summarily dismiss the option.

WOW!!! Easy to see why this is your favorite..............nicely done Allen!

• Members

Well just to let everyone know that was helping me I just fooled around with the pickups and found a useful tone and I'm actually digging it. Like one of the first replies said it is different from the other guitars but it has its use in my playing spectrum.

It's weird sometimes I love my guitars and sometimes I hate them and I am sure alot of factors go into that. Probable most of all how I am playing that day. I try to never jump the gun that is why I come to the forum with questions. My problem is I am a gear whore so I'm always searching for some new way to teak my sound and get excited about buying some new equipment.

Based on the gear whore thing, I suggest you save the original pickups, in case you decide to sell the guitar. Whatever upgrades you make will hurt resale.

As far as the GFS pickups, give em a shot. I put some odd GFS gold Nashville retroton something types into a friends MusicMan Silhouette a few years ago, and he still loves them.

I thought it was an odd combination, but he likes it. Plus he can make any guitar sound amazing. And he let me have the Dimarzio PAF Pros that were in the silhouette.

Win Win.

• Members
facepalm all you want... still waiting for clips

He was facepalming because he suggested expensive pickups, got ganged up on, and then the op chose expensive pickups after wading through this {censored} of a thread. How bout u take a clip and stick it up your ass?

He was facepalming because he suggested expensive pickups, got ganged up on, and then the op chose expensive pickups after wading through this {censored} of a thread. How bout u take a clip and stick it up your ass?

Son, he was not ganged up on. He also did not simply suggest expensive pickups.

Read the posts one after the other. In my experience there has always been more than one way to skin a cat. To assume that the only way to do it right costs a lot of money is silly and shortsighted.

And I stand firmly behind what I said.

• Members
Son, he was not ganged up on. He also did not simply suggest expensive pickups.

Read the posts one after the other. In my experience there has always been more than one way to skin a cat. To assume that the only way to do it right costs a lot of money is silly and shortsighted.

And I stand firmly behind what I said.

And I never said don't buy them because they are cheap. The price tag has nothing to do with it. Seriously. WTF? Are you incabable of comprehension?

EG

• Members
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

{censored}!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EG was just pointing out the fact that if the OP had the deniro to drop on a Deus he should at least do it the justice of installing pups that are ALSO boutique... nobody said GFS pups were junk, but we all know that they are NOT BG's, Lollars, Fralins, TV Jonses, etc... i've got Mighty Mites in my Cort X-5 and love them, wouldn't change a thing... it's kind of like dropping $800,000 on a Bentley and puting spinner hub caps from pep boys on it...:facepalm:

And I never said don't buy them because they are cheap. The price tag has nothing to do with it. Seriously. WTF? Are you incabable of comprehension?

EG

And I said not only does the price tag have nothing to do with it but they are also quality pups.

Are you incapable of the same?