How many here tune down half a step?

BlueSky1963

• Members

I go back and forth. I like the way things sound a half step down, but I run into issues like trying to learn a new song and forgetting that I'm in flats, or having it just not sound right. Sometimes after a while, it just sounds kind of blah and flat (pun intended) and I don't want to play in that tuning anymore. So when I get frustrated, I tune back up and then everything sounds so bright and springy it's like it's brand new again. It's kind of fun to do, keeps things interesting.

I'm trying to find a good guitar to tune down a full step and leave there. So far the only one that sounds good like that is a samick/sx Frankenpaul I made, but it's my only double p90 guitar so I want it tuned normally.

• Members

I like it for some things because it just sounds fatter and it makes it easier to play along with a lot of the songs I like, but I probably keep one floyd equipped guitar tuned down 1/2, one tuned standard with a d-tuna and just about everything else I can adjust on the fly.

• Members

Most bands that tune down a half step (Eb) do so to help the singer. I have about half of my guitars tuned down a half step for that reason. Lots of songs are played on guitars tuned down a half step. It's a very common practice to help singers out with their limited vocal range.

• Members

All of my guitars are in standard. I have a (sort of) high vocal range, so I've never needed to drop tune for vocals, as I've been the singer in most of the bands I've been in. If anything, I need to transpose the song to a higher key.

As for playing along with recordings, or needing a flat-tuned guitar for other bands, I've considered doing that with one of my guitars, but it will just end up being used much less.

• Members

I'll bring five or six guitars to a gig - I bring two guitars tuned standard, one tuned a whole step down (D), one down to C, open D and open G. Sometime I use the same guitar for the open G and D tunings. I'll use different gauge stings depending on the guitar or tuning. Sounds like a lot of hassel, but I love that stuff.

• Members

Most bands that tune down a half step (Eb) do so to help the singer. I have about half of my guitars tuned down a half step for that reason. Lots of songs are played on guitars tuned down a half step. It's a very common practice to help singers out with their limited vocal range.

Agreed, ^^^^ Me Too

I Tune Down a 1/2 Step,

Cause It's Easier, On The Singer

Thanks

Steve

Archived