How many here tune down half a step?

BlueSky1963

• Members

I've tuned down a 1/2 step...i like it alot, tried to get my band to do the same..some of our songs sounded great down 1/2 step and some just sounded not worse but different....im thinking of pushing for it again since it makes my job of singing lead MUCH easier. i personally like Eb tuning..

• Members

I used to keep my fave guitar tuned to Eb. But I found that I got tired of compensating for tunes in standard. And there's more stuff out there in standard than Eb. If I really need to learn something in the lowered tuning then I lower it. Otherwise my guitars stay in standard. I WOULD like to learn more stuff in open G or open D though.

• Members

the band i'm in tunes to eb, so there's my strat & lp stud. jackson-c# std. ibz, frankenjr & 50's trib lp stud (hngd!)-e std. steel & nylon acoustics-e std (bet steel would sound good in eb tho...). dobro-open g. tricone-open d. i guess my main tuning is whatever i'm playing @ the moment...

• Members

My Strat is tuned to Eb, partly because I like the fatter sound, but mainly for comfort reasons (due to the lower tension)...I've also currently got one of my electrics tuned to EADGBd - quite an interesting little alt tuning that Coldplay use...the rest of my guits are all in E standard.

• Members

When I was trying to work my way up to SRV gauge on a strat, I got as far as 11-52s, but I found the only comfortable way for me to play them was 1/2 step down.

I've left that one strat set up that way. It's good to have one around set up that way. The one thing I learned from that trip (besides 11s is as far as I ever want to go) is to stick with chrome plated and not with pure nickel wound once I get to that gauge. It helps to preserve some jangle if you limit the nickel content.

Archived