Ngd. Another Gibson

metal0822

• Members

EDIT: PUT SOME PICS UP IN PAGE 2

So I picked this bad boy up this weekend. It's a 1978 standard. The pickups have been replaced with Duncan distortions which are gonna come out very soon. Unfortunately I am at the airport right now flying out for work for the week so I gotta wait to play her again. I already gave it a full polish, steel wooled the frets, oiled the board, set her up, etc. Can't wait to pick out some new pickups for her. Anyways all I have are the store photos. I was able to play a couple studios and even a 74 custom that day and the tone of this one just blew them out of the water. I'm very satisfied with my purchase an very upset that she's just sitting right now. O and it's got a one piece top with plenty of Birdseye and a one piece body with pretty nice mahog :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/1978-Vintage-Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-USA-/230646348570?pt=Guitar&hash=item35b397fb1a#ht_1989wt_922

• Members

From Atomic Music!-that used to belong to a buddy of mine and used to be his #1 way back when those pickups somehow made sense to people. He found it at his parent's house and had forgotten he owned it!! He's a "serial guitar trader", so it doesn't really surprise me. Treat it well. It deserves a nice home.

• Members

Thanks everyone. Atomic is the best and I do most of my business with them. The guy who owned was actually the guy helping me out with it. I asked if he wanted my card in case he ever wanted it back, and he said he had tons of guitars. I'm really pleased with it an wish I could play it this week. She's definitely a looker, a player, and has a really aggressive tone

• Members

So 1978 is vintage?!?!?

Anything over 20 years old can be considered vintage. I dont exactly agree myself,

but there again I'm 53. Its 38 years old now so thats older than alot of kids and even adults who

are playing out there.

• Members

HNGD!!! Or upcoming at least!

And I consider anything from 1980 and below vintage. The eighties are a bit iffy for me. I don't think there is really a good model that came out of the 80s that I like anyways, so that problem will never come up in my guitar buying!

• Members

thanks everyone, just got to start playing it again yesterday, since i was out on business for the week. it is an absolute blast to play and has such great tone. i plan to restore it to as original as possible. this will include a new bridge and tailpiece, some t tops, and a couple old speed knobs, since i can tell two are old and two are replaced. anyone know of a good source for these parts? thanks again

• Members

I'll look and see if I can find the old T-Tops from my '80...can't remember if I already sold them or not. A warning: they probably changed your pickups out for good reason. Are you sure you want to go "original for original's sake?" You're talking about how nice it sounds, but then talking about changing it in the next breath.

Archived