What are a few of your signature tunes or ruts you routinely play-fess up- list 'em

GAS Man

• Members

For me:

Canon in D (lots of variations, i.e. in the style of)

Walk Don't Run

Pipeline

Still Got The Blues For You (but not as good as GM - but I love that chord progression)

You're So Cool (Hans Zimmer)

Willow Garden (traditional)

Classical GAS

Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress

Love To Change The World

It Don't Come Easy (my most recent obsession)

There are more that are in my scant ditty bag, but I think it'd be cool to keep it to 10 or less so we can all get an idea of the typical {censored}e we all play, i.e. the ones we tend to wear in or out like a carpet path in a single wide. :eek:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

atom hart mother suite... because the cord changes really give you a good work out in open position...

the old home stead.. because neil young is a fav.. and its a tricky song for timing..

behind blue eyes
naked eye
Victoria
sister morphine
a song for you... another very tricky chord thing... and its just a nice Leon Russel tune
you and your friend

dang i need to dig out my fake books again... there is a bunch of bob dylan and neil young... who and kinks... it changes from time to time..

• Members

Hmmm....I wouldn't call them signature pieces, more like bits and pieces.

Funk 49

Rock and Roll Hootchie Koo

Just Got Paid Today.....

Dixie Chicken

Aqualung

bits and pieces of a few Zeppelin numbers

Hells Bells

Willin'

One of these Nights

Badge

Stealin'

Stormy Monday Blues

and to be honest, it's mainly MY version of the above songs....bits and pieces here and there....and playing along with tunes on Slacker when the mood strikes.

• Members

Walk Don't Run

Ghost Riders In The Sky

Apache

Mr Crowley (the dual harmony break just before the outro solo)

Slow Dancing In A Burning Room

A bastardization of Slayer's Raining Blood played more slowly with an intro I wrote for it

A little jazzy intro for a song we played in jazz band in high school

A tweaked version of Voodoo Child

A fairly standard blues jobbie I picked up on a demo of Bareknuckles pickups on Youtube

• Members

Thanks for the posts so far. I thought this idea would take off with more participation than it's gotten so far. :confused:

And yeah, by "signature" I meant stuff that your family, friends, audience, whatever, would have them going, "there he/she goes again, playing that tune"

So I'll ask again.

Ya pick up the guitar, what are the ditties you most likely start playing. Bits and pieces are cool too Doc. I know more of those than full songs fer sher.

Like "Hells Bells". The intro is real cool, after that? meh, I'm not sure worried 'bout it.

The last "bits and pieces" I remember learning along those lines it the intro to "Wheels In The Sky". (It was in a fairly recent GW mag issue) I got the intro down, thought it was a pretty good accomplishment, then done!. I mean, it's not like I've got Steve Perry standing in the wings for the verses. :lol:

Come on folks, give it up ;)

• Members

Hmmm....I wouldn't call them signature pieces, more like bits and pieces.

Funk 49

Just Got Paid Today.....

Funk 49 has been on my "mental list" of songs I've thought I should get into learning. JW at his best IMO.

And yeah, Just Got Paid Today - I've only learned the sig riff so far but Joe Bonamassa made me do it. ;)

• Members

Apache

I started my lessons back in the early 90s with a lot of surf music. I've got that one around somewhere still transcribed on yellow notebook paper from way back when. I should pull it out again and re-learn it. I recently dipped back into the old transcriptions for Diamond Head. That one is plenty of fun and easier than most.

[video=youtube;-vqnzH2xIro]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vqnzH2xIro

• Members

Jeff Buckley - Grace
Jeff Buckley - I Woke Up In A Strange Place
Jeff Buckley - Witches' Rave
Jeff Beck - Nadia
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here
Ray Charles - Drown In My Own Tears
Django - Minor Swing
Devin Townsend - Deep Peace
My Morning Jacket - One Big Holiday/Lay Low
The Smiths - The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
Duke Ellington & John Coltrane - In A Sentimental Mood

Currently trying to focus more on writing some original pieces, but these old standbys are always fun to play. :)

• Members

Robben Ford - Revelation

I love that song! I play the (rather fancy) accompaniement and chord progression. You play the solo and improvise over it? Kudos! Cool song.

For me it's hard to name songs, I play quite a few and I tend to switch to different favorite songs to play. Usually, when I learn a song, I play it A LOT untill I feel I have it down and then I leave it for a bit, being kinda sick of it... having played it too much for the sake of learning it.

But a few are real favorites that I enjoy playing regularily:

John Renbourn's Faro's rag

Werner Hucks' Night Dive (my child loves it and I play it to her bed when she gos asleep)

A bunch of little ragtime tunes that I never knew the names of.

A few Pierre Bensusan DADGAD tunes

The entertainer

Manha do Carnaval

etc.

Archived