What are a few of your signature tunes or ruts you routinely play-fess up- list 'em

GAS Man

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I love that song! I play the (rather fancy) accompaniement and chord progression. You play the solo and improvise over it? Kudos! Cool song.

SNIP.

Yeah it's a lovely song - I enjoy soloing over it (it's amazing how far a simple G major will get you :D ) but I agree that the progression is the really fun thing about playing that song.

I see you play the Entertainer. Always loved that song, but I've never had the technique to play it fingerstyle/chord melody. I've worked on my fingerstyle technique in the last year or two after 20+ years of flatpicking, but that song is still out of reach for me. Oh well, someday perhaps

• Members
Yeah it's a lovely song - I enjoy soloing over it (it's amazing how far a simple G major will get you
:D
) but I agree that the progression is the really fun thing about playing that song.

I see you play
the Entertainer
. Always loved that song, but I've never had the technique to play it fingerstyle/chord melody. I've worked on my fingerstyle technique in the last year or two after 20+ years of flatpicking, but that song is still out of reach for me. Oh well, someday perhaps

I recorded The entertainer just last month for the acoustic forum. I started a thread over there where folks were invited (still are) to request a guitar piece for me to play (see sig).

• Members
Thanks for the posts so far. I thought this idea would take off with more participation than it's gotten so far.
:confused:

And yeah, by "signature" I meant stuff that your family, friends, audience, whatever, would have them going, "there he/she goes again, playing that tune"

So I'll ask again.

Ya pick up the guitar, what are the ditties you most likely start playing. Bits and pieces are cool too Doc. I know more of those than full songs fer sher.

Like "Hells Bells". The intro is real cool, after that? meh, I'm not sure worried 'bout it.

The last "bits and pieces" I remember learning along those lines it the intro to "Wheels In The Sky". (It was in a fairly recent GW mag issue) I got the intro down, thought it was a pretty good accomplishment, then
done!
. I mean, it's not like I've got Steve Perry standing in the wings for the verses.
:lol:

Come on folks, give it up
;)

Ummmm....

I dunno.

I never named them. :idk:

I have to be coerced to play other people's music.

My wife is annoyed by this.

• Members

Waht kind of program is that? Seems like a great learning tool.

Yes, it does doesn't it! I just found that clip on YT when I was looking to hear the Wes Montgomery version of the song referenced by Faber. I think I'll work on learning it. I don't have any Jazz in m repertoire so I could use one. ;)

• Members

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire.

No, really.

Why would you doubt that?

Jeez, some people ...

:)

Okay I admit it, I can't play that.

no shame there, John Mclauglin scared the hell out of me, once i heard inner mounting flame... those rapid fire tripplet patterns .. might as well go back to Mel Bay camp town races... but it sure was stupid fun to try and the that stuff right.

never did though... :mad:

• Members

My things a littel different. I havent played covers in a good 15 years and most of the music boars me any more.

I been writing and recording for a solid 15 years so I may get stuck on various tunes I've written.

When you mix a song you may hear the sucker 50 times and you wake up hearing the song note for note in your

head all the next the next day like a broken record and dont even realize it. You eventually need to change the record

to be free of it. You do learn to add and change parts mentally without the aid of an instrumentin hand.

If I get in a rut its rarely playing others music any more. Its just too confining, and theres no fun in it any more.

Its more likely having half a song complete and searching for a great bridge or chorus or hook line for the song.

As always they just pop into your head and bingo, you make it fit right and fits like a glove.

to add to a song.

• Members

If you ask my bandmates, they'll tell you that I constantly play my rendition of "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" during downtimes.

Otherwise, I just play covers during rehearsal or gigs when I'm with my cover band. There's a few songs we play at nearly every gig, and "On Broadway" is my favorite to play/sing of out regulars.

• Members

Fantastic song. And it's surprisingly NOT impossible to learn if you have the Rush In Rio DVD which has a multiangle disc where you can choose to focus exclusively on Alex or whoever. Pause, slow motion etc... It is NOT impossible. Check youtube for more footage of Alex and also a guy who does a pretty good job of it.

Once you figure out that weird motif (which is not remotely pentatonic!) you are in pretty good shape and just have to work on the shredding, which seems impossible, but isn't!

Should LaVilla be the first youtube lesson I make?

Wait a minute! How do you play parts of La Villa?! Once I start it's all over and I end up playing the whole thing!

For me:

Queensryche (I love to play Chris Degarmo solos):

Jet City Woman

Thin Line

Jet City Woman

Della Brown (the thrid solo at 4:44 is the best lead guitar tone ever!!!)

Another Rainy Night

Silent Lucidity.... okay, ALL of empire!

Operation Mindcrime

Bridge

Zep Heartbreaker

When I pick up an acoustic somewhere I instantly play the intros to

The Lady Wore Black and

Take Hold of the Flame fantastic solos again

I also have some strange acoustic obsession with

Rush: Fly By Night and In the End

Also Pink Floyd Is there anybody out there

Back to electric:

The majority of Moving Pictures:

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

The Camera Eye is fun to play

Comfortably Numb!!!

I can't list "just a few" because I'm obsessive with guitar and once I start....

• Members

I sometimes play Bread's Everything I Own in the style of Gish-era Smashing Pumpkins. Often for a vocal warmup I'll do Johnny Nash's I Can See Clearly Now, because it's one of the greatest songs ever written and because it's an unbelievable bitch for my aging baritone voice to sing.

• Members

Don't know if you could say I'm in a rut with these songs but I've been playing them so long it's gotten to the point that I have to nudge myself into doing them.

The Letter - Joe Cocker
Simple Man - Skynyrd
Gimme 3 Steps - Skynyrd
West Texas Highway - Lyle Lovett
Honky Tonk Woman - Stones
Stars Fell on Alabama - Jimmy Buffett
Banana Republics - Jimmy Buffet
The Bluest Blues - Alvin Lee
Blue Eyes Crying - Willie Nelson
Lonesome Onry and Mean - Waylon Jennings
Working Man Blues - Merle Haggard
Keep Your Hands to Yourself - Georgia Satellites
Summertime - George Gershwin
Lincoln Duncan - Paul Simon
Cheeseburger in Paradise - Jimmy Buffet
Mexican Blackbird - ZZ Top
Still Got the Blues - Gary Moore
Spider and the Fly - Stones
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison

Come to think of it I'd better stop now since I've been playing for 46 years I could probably add 30-40 more songs to this list. After that many years you have a lot of time to burn out on a lot of songs. Maybe I'll take up Jazz or Reggae or something. On a note of hope I have permanently given up on, and will not play "Margaritaville" for love or money.

• Members

Don't know if you could say I'm in a rut with these songs but I've been playing them so long it's gotten to the point that I have to nudge myself into doing them.

Simple Man - Skynyrd

Summertime - George Gershwin

Still Got the Blues - Gary Moore

I'm right there with you on "Simple Man" in fact I broke into playing it tonight

and "Still Got The Blues" is in my top ten listed above,

but lets talk about "Summertime".

Damn, to me that is one of the finest (albeit Janis Joplin version) displays of dueling SGs EVER recorded. :thu: :thu:

[video=youtube;aTFF-BaT0MM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTFF-BaT0MM

I printed out the tab a couple years ago from powertabs, but have yet to start working on getting it down. Beautiful piece. total :thu:

• Members
I'm right there with you on "Simple Man" in fact I broke into playing it tonight
and "Still Got The Blues" is in my top ten listed above,

but lets talk about "Summertime".

Yah. The bummer is that the songs you like the most are the ones you play the most and hence the ones you get worn out on. I've got to say though that if I could play "Summertime" the way "Big Brother" did I'm pretty sure I'd never get tired of it.

• Members

Ozzy/Randy: I dont know(well most of it)
JP: Heading out to the highway
My pathetic take on a Van Halen medley, Aint Talkin Bout love, Runnin with the devil, Panama (all bits)
Metallica: the songs are always changing, but im always playing some of Creeping Death, and Eye Of The Beholder
GnR: Paitence...when im in the rare clean mode or actually playing my acoustic.

Archived