Good Cheap Distortion Pedal

jkeeney1

• Members

Im looking for a distortion pedal that makes a good heavy metal tone to put in front of my vox night train. I have tried overdrives like the Boss SD-1 and the Bad Monkey Tube overdrive. But i'm looking for something along the lines of the Vox Satchurator, ICE 9, and the MXR 78' Badass. Any suggestions?

• Members

The MajikBox Fuzz Universe is the best pedal ive used..it has two sides, and its an OD and a clean boost in one pedal..AWESOME tones, can bring heavy to Brootal tones on a slighty dirty amp, HIGHLY reccomend it....but if your looking for a true to life distortion pedal, i liked the EH Metal Muff.

• Members

MXR Classic distortion...picked mine up for $20...and it's amazing...

This is the same as the MXR Distortion III, which is a great pedal. Since the Classic Distortion was a limited-run repaint of the Distortion III for Guitar Center, some guys on Ebay try to sell the pedal for more than the original price of $30. In any case, either the Distortion III or the Classic Distortion is a great choice.

The Fulltone Plimsoul is probably just what you want, but it'll be out of your price range.

• Members

Modded DS-1. Seriously. You can find them used for next to nothing and they can be modded to sound like darn near anything for smooth and compressed to thick chunky and everything in between. The Satchurator is actually based on the DS-1.

If your looking for more fuzzed distortion rather than tight palm muted stuff, an original Tech 21 XXL is super gainy and they often sell for well under $100 (gotta be patient for them to popup though).

• Members

Visual Sound Jeckyl & Hyde-- TS type OD and a DS-1 type distortion in the same box.

Those are pretty great :thu:

Im gonna say the Boss Metalcore (ML-2) I own one and love it. My favourite pedal tho is the T-rex Dr Swamp, but mine cost me more than twice as much as my ML-2...

112448.jpg

dr_swamp.jpg

• Members

I haven't found a cheap distortion pedal that suited me. The only stand alone pedals I've really liked for all the distortion is an OCD for most stuff, and a keeley mt2 for anything beyond the OCD gain wise. Honestly, there's some really great distortion pedals for under a hundred bucks. Look into them before buying something that you can never resell.

• Members

Dano Drive (silver pedal) is a OCD clone and is cheap as chips! Go for Version 1 though as they're a bit different with Version 2. Check out Gearmandudes demos comparing it v several of his OCD pedals!! Watch and be amazed how close it sounds! Same goes with the Danelectro Transparent Overdrive - sounds just like the Timmy pedal..again v1 is what you want.

If your going to be using your nighttrain amps dirt channel and just want some kind of boost then many a good overdrive will do the trick...but on their own they wont have enough gain. If your wanting it all from the pedal and your amps clean channel then yeah you need to go for a distortion pedal. The Satchurator is a good pedal but not really one for the scooped metal sound. I spose the old Boss Metal Zone is cheap and does metal well for its price...but there are better pedals out there if your prepared to spend more $$$! As always!

• Members

Used RAT. Not absolutely necessary to have the LM308 chip either as the differences are subtle. I would say a Boss HM-2, but prices have gone up on them. Maybe the HM-3, though I remember it maybe had some delay stuff built in that wouldn't be for everybody?

If you're a DIYer (as I am), I just built a clone of the Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800 for a grand total of $45 in parts (with shipping). Awesome pedal!

• Members

I love the MXR Distorion + and the Distortion III, but to me, they are more overdrives than distortion pedals. I had a Classic Distortion for a year+ and, while a great sounding pedal that I used a lot, it was a overdrive with a lot of gain on tap...no way that thing would do metal for instance.

Archived