Ever Played A PRS That Wasn't Perfect?

JSynthGuitarMan

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In terms of the whole better for the money thing, my Mira hasn't had much play time at all since I bought my Carvin and I'm on the verge of letting the Mira go. Granted, they're pretty different guitars (mahogany set neck vs strat wood bolt on), but I'd be willing to bet the CT line at Carvin is as good or better than PRS CEs and CUs.

I still think PRS is a great company and IMO they are very good at well rounded guitars for different tones, but there are definitely other comparable guitars out there for the money.

And most PRS i've played have been great right off the wall for sure. Lifeless is definitely something that comes to mind on a few I've played but not most.

Johnny Hiland's sig guitar with PRS is the best PRS i've played personally. that thing is a beast.

• Members

Love to look at them and to be honest I like hearing other people play them, but the only one that really got me fired up when in my hands was a 513. I'm pretty sure that it's got a different neck profile and to be hones the amp may have had something to do it with it as well. I don't think that soundcreation and I have ever agreed on something, but stiff and lifeless is absolutely dead on accurate in my experience as well.

And I've really wanted to like them. Hell they're made just a few miles down the road from me, but I just can't get them to do what I want them to.

• Members

Played a SC right when they came out. It was at a Sam Ash store on Route 4 in Paramus, NJ.

I was thinking of buying when I entered the store, but after playing the guitar I was completely unimpressed. It was stale and uninspiring. Part of that was likely the store and the set-up, but it really turned me off.

• Members

Kinda surprising how polarizing this subject is. People either luv em or hate em I guess. My experience with them though rather limited (tried maybe four or five over the years) is definitely inconclusive. I definitely don't like the ones with the fat slim neck profiles. One of the best tone clips I've heard around here was from Doc Jeffrey with his PRS CE though.

• Members

Kinda surprising how polarizing this subject is. People either luv em or hate em I guess. My experience with them though rather limited (tried maybe four or five over the years) is definitely inconclusive. I definitely don't like the ones with the fat slim neck profiles. One of the best tone clips I've heard around here was from Doc Jeffrey with his PRS CE though.

That's the weird thing for me though. I don't hate them at all. They have a cool unique shape that was practically classic the moment they brought it out. Their tone is good. They obviously have very good QC on the cosmetics.

I'm like ashasha....I would love to like them.

Again though...I personally think where they fall down is with their finishes (even though they LOOK amazing) and probably selecting of resonant woods. Like I said, my experience is limited with only around 3. But still...ALL 3 2000 + dollar guitars were basically the same? Not ONE of them had some life? Too much of a coincidence for me. And obviously others here have found the same thing.

I think for some of those bigger "boutique" builders like PRS it can be tough because they are trying to fill a lot more orders than other smaller companies. I think that is probably the major factor in why they can't be more selective with wood.

• Members

I was gonna write a big, long post but decided not to.

Everyone has their opinions (and preconceptions in some cases) firmly rooted.

I think PRS guitars are the best production and semi custom guitars available. The two I own are among the best guitars I ever had. My Singlecut is the best sounding guitar I've ever owned or played.

I don't agree with the "soulless" or "sterile" comments at all. Soul is in the player.

• Members

I was gonna write a big, long post but decided not to.

Everyone has their opinions (and preconceptions in some cases) firmly rooted.

I think PRS guitars are the best production and semi custom guitars available. The two I own are among the best guitars I ever had. My Singlecut is the best sounding guitar I've ever owned or played.

I don't agree with the "soulless" or "sterile" comments at all. Soul is in the player.

Are you willing to admit the same would apply to you as well?

• Members

Not an outright fault but I tried a Custom 22 a couple of years back that was absolutely backbreaking - to me that is a deal breaker and very much a fault but of course ymmv.

Generally speaking I've found that the few PRSi I've tried have played fantastically but havent given me the sound I've been looking for. But again, that's not a fault per se

Archived