Recommend Some Semi-Hollow Guitars

u6crash

• Members

For a while I've been wanting a semi-hollow guitar. I'd kind of been holding off because I thought I might just build one, but now I'm getting antsy.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Symetrical body (Think Epiphone Dot, Fender Coronado. Thinline Telecaster is out)

Chrome or nickel (preferred) hardware (Epiphone Sheraton is out as are Studio Dots)

Not made in China (Personal reasons. Post 2001 Epi's & Hagstrom Vikings out)

No vibrato (leaves out a lot of Gretsch models)

Not sure on the budget. I guess if I found one that I felt good about and could get it for a steal at less than $350, I might buy it today. If I fell in love with a late 90's Guild Starfire IV, I might have to be patient and save my pennies longer. Mostly I just want to see if any models that meet these criteria spring to your mind so that I can widen my search a little. Thanks!

• Members

Oh, I'm not married to that price range. That's just what I might spend on an impulse. I might try to sell some things and pony up some more for a good Epi Dot. I've played some Artcores in the past and wasn't impressed. However, that was years ago and now that I know a little more about setup and maintenance, maybe I'll give them another look.

• Members

If you're considering used, the Hamer Echotones are pretty nice. Mine was made in Korea in 1997 and I got it for $279 with an OHSC.

Slipped a couple Seth Lovers in it, tweaked the setup (it was already VERY good... obviously work had been done to it) and it makes it hard to justify something over $500.

DSC_7368a1.jpg

• Members

The Epiphone Nick Valensi Rivieras are still made in Korea. Come with a set of Gibson USA P-94 pickups which kick ass. At $699, its really one of the best values in Epi's lineup, but very rarely discussed.

2236693850046640115S600x600Q85.jpg

That's a beauty.

• Members

If you're considering used, the Hamer Echotones are pretty nice. Mine was made in Korea in 1997 and I got it for $279 with an OHSC.

Slipped a couple Seth Lovers in it, tweaked the setup (it was already VERY good... obviously work had been done to it) and it makes it hard to justify something over $500.

DSC_7368a1.jpg

That guitar oozes quality. And that pic is gorgeous. the subtlety of the burst is rarely so nicely captured.

• Members

Here's my '64 guild semi.

USA made, well seasoned with age, not terribly expensive, great neck, available in a couple of pickup configurations.

The bridge had wood saddles which dulls the tone a bit, but with a bone saddle it's sweet.

Not a symetrical body shape, but worthy of consideration I'd think.

guild1.jpg

guild7.jpg

Archived