POLL: Is Eddie Van Halen The Greatest Rock guitarist to ever live?

DaveAronow

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Here is the problem with everyone not "getting" Eddie Van Halen.

Van Halen music was designed to be played LOUD!

Go put mean street on, or unchained, or eruption/you really got me,, or hot for teacher, or running with the devil, or Ice Cream Man, or beautiful girls , or Panama, or Jamies cryin, etc, on, and turn it up LOUD!

And THEN tell me Eddie is not the greatest of all time.

I dare you.

Can't do it, can you?

Huh, huh, can you?

I didn't think so!

• Members

Two things; 1) You're ignoring the fact that Clapton started in a group called The Yardbirds, and 2) Parody doesn't mean dislike, or degrade, it just means parody.... and yes, before the band was called Steel Panther they were called Metal Skool, and before that some where in Atomic Punks.
;)

1) touch

• Members

Here is the problem with everyone not "getting" Eddie Van Halen.

Van Halen music was designed to be played LOUD!

Go put mean street on, or unchained, or eruption/you really got me,, or hot for teacher, or running with the devil, or Ice Cream Man, or beautiful girls , or Panama, or Jamies cryin, etc, on, and turn it up LOUD!

And THEN tell me Eddie is not the greatest of all time.

I dare you.

Can't do it, can you?

Huh, huh, can you?

I didn't think so!

I have done that. He is not the greatest.

• Members

I predict A Different Kind Of Truth debuts at #4 or higher on the Billboard 200. Then we can continue to talk about relevancy.

Ha, bring it!

I'd rather wait until the following week, when it drops like a rock out of the top 40. :p ...Just kidding. This album will sell, it's one of the most anticipated albums of the year. Will it be any good? I doubt it, but the hope is still there. Will I buy it? I doubt it, but you never know. One thing I am sure of; in years to come when people talk about the 2012 reunion album, it won't be Van Halen's, it will be Black Sabbaths. :)

• Members

Good lord people. We got people comparing Jimi to Eddy to Santana to Dave Gilmore!?... what the hell is the point of any of those comparisons?

You all should be ashamed of yourselves. Each guitar player stated would not even have an opinion about it, he would just thank the guy next to him for creating a style that has encouraged millions of players and essentially broadened the world's horizon to new musical feelings. Compared to Jimi!?!.... ugh the time warp is making me sick. Ed thanks Jimi and if Jimi could have saw how fast and mean Ed ripped he would {censored} himself. You think Jimi was ready for any of what we see now?? Wait 25 years more years...

• Members

Good lord people. We got people comparing Jimi to Eddy to Santana to Dave Gilmore!?... what the hell is the point of any of those comparisons?

You all should be ashamed of yourselves. Each guitar player stated would not even have an opinion about it, he would just thank the guy next to him for creating a style that has encouraged millions of players and essentially broadened the world's horizon to new musical feelings. Compared to Jimi!?!.... ugh the time warp is making me sick. Ed thanks Jimi and if Jimi could have saw how fast and mean Ed ripped he would {censored} himself. You think Jimi was ready for any of what we see now?? Wait 25 years more years...

Shame? You pose a stupid question, you get a lot of nonsense back as a result. Welcome to the internet, new guy!

• Members

Um, that's funny. But, as it will be a studio album I sort of doubt that will happen, they'll be fresh in his mind because Geezer will have just written them.
;)

fair point, but I will rebut by pointing out that he has also seemingly forgotten the language

• Members

Was Hendrix really a "rock" guitar player? He could play legit r&b and blues, too. "Ice Cream Man" sounds like a rock guy playing blues, "Red House" or "Hear My Train A Coming" sound like a blues player.

Regardless, the one thing in common with so many greats is they have a definitive style. You hear a lick or sound and you know it's them. They are all innovators, albeit some more so than others.