POLL: Is Eddie Van Halen The Greatest Rock guitarist to ever live?

DaveAronow

• Members

I never did care for Van Halen very much. Perhaps the whole dumbass party-boy vibe they personified killed it for me, but at any rate I'm only now really listening to his stuff. That said, I still can't stand the stupid lyrics and their videos make me slightly ill...

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Guys in their 20's and early 30's have no idea how big Eddie was after the first Van Halen album. He blew everyone away because there was nothing like it before. His tone and skill caught the attention of players and non players alike. His impact on young players in the late '70's and '80's was huge. He influenced a generation of players.

I can only think of 2 other players with the type of impact Eddie has had: Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton.

People in this thread keep using past tense - "Eddie was" - The guy still is one of the best.

• Members

I never did care for Van Halen very much. Perhaps the whole dumbass party-boy vibe they personified killed it for me, but at any rate I'm only now really listening to his stuff. That said, I still can't stand the stupid lyrics and their videos make me slightly ill...

It sounds like you are talking more about the band and not Eddie as a musician.

I agree, the band Van Halen will never be known for songs with well crafted messages. They were always a party band.

Eddie is the only reason why I am a Van Halen fan. His playing makes the band for me.

• Members

And it just so happens that Eddie cites them as
his
two biggest influences

Yeah, I read that a few times.

I voted YES in the poll just because I thought the vote YES or vote YES option was funny.

In all seriousness, I'm the kind of guy that has trouble picking a single favorite anything or declaring something the best. Hell, I don't even have a favorite color or a favorite food.

With that said, EVH is definitely one of my all-time favorite players. I consider him to be one of the greatest ever. Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, SRV, Page, Rhoads, EVH, Satch, Gilmour, Yngwie and Lynch are my Top 10.......the order can change by the hour or day depending on who I listened to most recently.

• Members

It sounds like you are talking more about the band and not Eddie as a musician.

Absolutely correct. The band Van Halen personified everything I detested at that point in my life, so as a result EVH had absolutely no influence on me. As I indicated, it is only now that I am rediscovering some of his stuff, but I still can't stand the fluffy bull{censored} in which much of it is wrapped...

• Members

I think EVH is a great guitar player and was influential beyond a doubt. However, to consider him the best would be to discount Jimi Hendrix who had even more influence on guitarists. I think VH's influence was really only one generation of players whereas Hendrix is in the 4th generation and counting.

So, my vote is Hendrix as the greatest rock guitarist. However it is all subjective, which I guess is the beauty of it.

• Members

I think EVH is a great guitar player and was influential beyond a doubt. However, to consider him the best would be to discount Jimi Hendrix who had even more influence on guitarists. I think VH's influence was really only one generation of players whereas Hendrix is in the 4th generation and counting.

Excellent point!

But surely it's more than one generation for EVH.

• Members

Excellent point!

But surely it's more than one generation for EVH.

+1. he's still influencing plenty of people.

also i mean it's hardly fair to criticise him for influencing one fewer generation than hendrix when hendrix was one generation older than him.

that's a bit like saying dickens has influenced more people than thomas hardy. no {censored}, he was born 30 years earlier :lol:

EDIT: just to clarify, I love hendrix too. I'd certainly have hendrix in my top 5 (if not top 1 or 2).

• Members

No.

For one thing he communicates NOTHING with his music. In fact, how could he?

But anyway, sorry Dave, I like you and all, but no. No.

This is a good point. His solos really aren't communicative. They don't bring any emotion to the table. They are pretty much just gonzo wankfests. His rhythm is much more important than his soloing though, and his rhythm is incredibly tasty.