POLL: Is Eddie Van Halen The Greatest Rock guitarist to ever live?

DaveAronow

• Members

Ed's the pinnacle of rock guitar. Others do things you like more? Probly true for most of us. Size of his influence in his prime? I'll believe the guys and girls who were playing guitar in 1978 describe what it felt like to hear a 22 year old kid doing stuff that dumptrucked the whole of the rockers then, and be oh so tasty doing it. 1984 has terrific boundary pushing playing as well, so...

...so he owned the first half of the 80's more than anyone ever has maybe excepting the years that Hendrix had the late 60's for himself, and no one has ever had a corner of the guitar universe like those guys, and never would have held it as long if they did. No one.

No one stays in their prime, or can slow time enough to be relevant through a long stretch of years, no matter how good you're writing/playing. But the greats, like boxers or other professions, have a sweet spot in their careers where they're just above and beyond. In the fickle rock music world with ahem, Roth aka Mr. Fickle, Ed held it for a great stretch.

I worshipped Ed from '91-'98, but I still vote him the best at this late hour. Those classic albums are better sounding as I get better at my own playing.

With me now being a Steely Dan freak from '98 on...well, Ed can't compete with The Dan! Much rather hear The Royal Scam than Diver Down.

Answer: King of the World

Question: What is Brian's favorite Steely Dan song, and what EVH was in the 80's?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I really don't get that people include '82-'84 as being part of Ed's prime. I can see that he was a fantastic player both solo-wise and as a rhythm player up to and including Fair Warning. Beyond that though it was mostly treading water, or slipping into pop rock mediocrity, though I concede that Women ANd Children First is still a great record. His soloing went downhill pretty fast once he started trying to sound like Holdsworth, which in my opinion was too lofty a goal for him. Granted they have similarities, but Ed's whole "floating solo" thing is really annoying to listen to. I'm not dismissing the notion that the guy had an impact, because he certainly did. However, it isn't nearly what people make it out to be. Good player, granted. Good hook writer, a major plus. Be all, end all? Not even close, but I don't think this was ever his intention anyway. Ed gets a big thumbs up from me as a player, but no way would he make my top 50. Just my 2 cents, reiterated again for the sake of keeping the thread going. :)

• Members

I really don't get that people include '82-'84 as being part of Ed's prime. I can see that he was a fantastic player both solo-wise and as a rhythm player up to and including Fair Warning. Beyond that though it was mostly treading water, or slipping into pop rock mediocrity, though I concede that Women ANd Children First is still a great record. His soloing went downhill pretty fast once he started trying to sound like Holdsworth, which in my opinion was too lofty a goal for him. Granted they have similarities, but Ed's whole "floating solo" thing is really annoying to listen to. I'm not dismissing the notion that the guy had an impact, because he certainly did. However, it isn't nearly what people make it out to be. Good player, granted. Good hook writer, a major plus. Be all, end all? Not even close, but I don't think this was ever his intention anyway. Ed gets a big thumbs up from me as a player, but no way would he make my top 50. Just my 2 cents, reiterated again for the sake of keeping the thread going.
:)

Your 2 cents worth was well spent and well said. We all have our favourites but being OUR favourites does not make them the best outside of our own opinion.

• Members

I hope that means that you looked at the post scolfax quoted again and realized that you are coming off like a dolt. Michael Hedges is in your top 50 ROCK guitarists? that guy played (or plays, is he dead or something?) new agey sleepy time music. I thought it was cool 15 or 20 years ago, but only as a novelty. Rock guitarist. ROCK. Re-read the thread title.

That said, I think clapner sucks too. I have no idea why people fall on the ground for that lightweight. I like american music played by americans, not the british verion of american music (except the stones, or course. The stones RULE!).

So, scratching Michale Hedges off of your top 50 rock guitarists, who is left? Where does Joe Negri rank?

joe_negri.jpg

Not gonna feed the troll re: your insult.

RE: Hedges- You cannot be serious. The guy was tapping on harp like guitars. Have you heard his live version of

on a Double Planet? You cannot have.
??

I guess my point is, maybe to YOUR point, he is not rock, but what IS rock is not neccessarily all that DOES rock. I think Hedges influenced many more players than you even know...Michael Hedges was still developing..Then was killed....Same with Hendrix...EVH kind of stagnated, went bat{censored} for a bit, but, it sure looks like he has his head back together, and I hope he keeps working, but I still hear nothing new in his playing. I have also said that, this is my opinion, and even though I have been playing for years, I have enough brains to know the majority of folks on here could play circles around me.. But I stick to it, top 75, not top 50.

Whatever. Top 75, not 50, for me. Your list is different. Rock on.

• Members

Your 2 cents worth was well spent and well said. We all have our favourites but being OUR favourites does not make them the best outside of our own opinion.

I was going to say exactly this.

Why he is not your personal favorite has absolutely nothing to do with why he is or isn't the rest of the world's favorite.

Usually when we are talking about greatest of "all time", we are more talking about the collective whole world's favorite and not evilminstrel from L.A.'s personal favorite.

Otherwise the title would have been, is Rd your personal favorite, or something to that effect.

• Members

Why he is not your personal favorite has absolutely nothing to do with why he is or isn't the rest of the would've favorite.

Usually when we are talking about greatest of "all time", we are more talking about the collective whole would've favorite and not evilminstrel from L.A.'s personal favorite.

Otherwise the title would have been, is Rd your personal favorite, or something to that effect.

He had zero top 10 albums in the UK.

• Members

Why he is not your personal favorite has absolutely nothing to do with why he is or isn't the rest of the world's favorite.

Usually when we are talking about greatest of "all time", we are more talking about the collective whole world's favorite and not evilminstrel from L.A.'s personal favorite.

I don't think the guy you're quoting was actually trying to teach me something, I can figure what my opinion is worth on my own, thanks. It's a discussion, it won't go far if people don't say something.... and I think at this point, whether or not he is the rest of the world's favorite is highly debatable; hence this thread.

The question still stands though. It's a valid point, many in this thread are treating '77 to '84 as Ed's prime, when it seems painfully evident that from Diver Down onward was more of shocking drop in directional focus and quality than what should be considered part of an artist's prime. That's when things got derivative and less interesting.

• Members

^ I like 1984 :lol:

that being said, how long was hendrix's prime? any more than 3 or 4 years? yet almost everyone agrees he was the greatest rock player (fwiw i'd probably agree... or at least i wouldn't put ed ahead of him, equal at best).

He had zero top 10 albums in the UK.

not sure that really accounts for much when you look at the "quality" of our charts :lol:

• Members

^ I like 1984
:lol:

that being said, how long was hendrix's prime? any more than 3 or 4 years? yet almost everyone agrees he was the greatest rock player (fwiw i'd probably agree... or at least i wouldn't put ed ahead of him, equal at best).

not sure that really accounts for much when you look at the "quality" of our charts
:lol:

To be fair, you're right to point out that their "prime" lasted about the same. Although, in that case it's because Hendrix died.... Unfortuantely, I would put more stock in the UK's charts than the US charts at this point in time, back then it's a toss up. Both suck now, but UK has the edge.