POLL: Is Eddie Van Halen The Greatest Rock guitarist to ever live?

DaveAronow

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This is a good point. His solos really aren't communicative. They don't bring any emotion to the table. They are pretty much just gonzo wankfests. His rhythm is much more important than his soloing though, and his rhythm is incredibly tasty.

You know a few years ago them there would have been fighting words, but to be honest his solos are entertaining rather than really communicate anything, but I do think that they fit the song. I mean if you listen to a song and can't imagine a different part being played in there then it fits in my book. Plus even as an old man now I still look forward to him falling down the stairs and landing on his feet.

But I have to agree with you 100% that his rhythm work is by FAR his best attribute. He swings like a mofo and to get that kind of stuff going on with that kind of groove is just something special.

For me he's the most important and the best, but that's because he's my favorite if I was given a choice with a gun held to my head. But there is a whole list of guys out there that I love nearly as much. I also think that it comes down to age of the person being asked. I mean he was IT when I was coming up; I am sure that there are plenty of guys a bit older that felt the same way when Hendrix broke onto the scene, but by the time I was born to hear him he was kind of old hat. The excitement wasn't the same as with EVH for me. I'm pretty sure that there's a lot of young guys that look at some of the latest generation and think that they're just untouchable.

• Members

Van Halen influenced Hendrix, but Van Halen drew a lot of his own influence from Jimmy Buffett.

However, Buffett took lessons as a kid from Jack White who was in turn, taught by the dude from Jackyll. So I guess, we could safely say that the Jackyll dude is the best rock guitarist of all time. Case closed.

• Members

Van Halen influenced Hendrix, but Van Halen drew a lot of his own influence from Jimmy Buffett.

I read in the June '71 Guitar World that EVH originally wrote Margaritaville as an instrumental, but Buffett caught it at a club, added lyrics, and put it on vinyl first. Bet Hendrix was laughing his ass off!

• Members

Well, looks like it is unanimous so far.

By the way, y'all, I'm pretty sure the non communication comment was a spinoff from another current thread in which everyone is laughing at a guy who keeps insisting that there is absolutely zero form of communication of any kind happening in any form of music in existence. It is taking place in the ear vrs. Theory thread. Pretty entertaining stuff.

Anyway, now back to Eddie!

Oh Eddie! I want to have your baby!

Love, Dave.

• Members

i dont like to listen to van halens music tbh....I do like and appreciate his guitar playing though sometimes in awe.

Hendrix and page I like to listen to.

Van halen was more a show-off exhbitionist guitarist IMO. His music often wasnt particularly enjoyable or worht listening to but his guitar playing was something to behold....weird?

Its like Kork Hammet? hes meant to be good at guitar? I really dont know I dont like heavy metal or any metallica songs, though Im sure his guitar playing is good.

• Members

I hope you're also counting the write-in ballots.
;)

EVH is in my top 5 for sure -- but he'll never be greater than Hendrix or Page.

fail - those dudes were so old they don't count. BTW - Eddie was awesome but since my neighbor is already nuts for him, I'll give him a Top 15

• Members

That was one of the worst things I've ever heard.

BTW

EVH was a period musician.

His period is over. By 15 years.

Or More.

What current guitar players who are STILL writing good songs were markedly influenced by him?

Zero.

EVH style rock is dead.

JH is my fave but his influence is waning too.

Rock in general is dead. The Black Keys are already what six albums in? And they're the NEW thing.

80's rock is beyond dead. It doesn't even have the skills to caricature itself anymore.

Buh-bye.

SB

• Members
That was one of the worst things I've ever heard.

BTW

EVH was a period musician.

His period is over. By 15 years.

Or More.

What current guitar players who are STILL writing good songs were markedly influenced by him?

Zero.

EVH style rock is dead.

JH is my fave but his influence is waning too.

Rock in general is dead. The Black Keys are already what six albums in? And they're the NEW thing.

80's rock is beyond dead. It doesn't even have the skills to caricature itself anymore.

Buh-bye.

SB

This

• Members

It sounds like you are talking more about the band and not Eddie as a musician.

I agree, the band Van Halen will never be known for songs with well crafted messages. They were always a party band.

Eddie is the only reason why I am a Van Halen fan. His playing makes the band for me.

See, I'm on the other side of that, I can appreciate Van Halen as a band with a bunch of great, fun, dumb songs, they're totally awesome at that, and I have a ton of respect for Eddie but his guitar playing never really captured my imagination. I guess it's because I wasn't playing back then and didn't really pay much attention to the band until years later.

I'm not saying he's not great, I just never listened all that closely and I can't stand "Eruption". Good pop songwriter though for sure.