Fender amp experts - What is this???

slushpup96

• Members

Wish I knew more, but I at least wanted to say I doubt it's worth anywhere near $700. It looks like one of Fender's late '60s/early '70s solid state abominations. I'd stay away unless there is some compelling reason not to that I'm unaware of. Most of those models were universally panned; I haven't seen this particular model before though.

• Members

All kidding aside...you should send a picture and ask Fender...that is a real strange one for sure. I suspect it is real.

Actually, Kap'n is dead on. It is bogus.

Been a long time since I've seen one like that. Occasionally, people will pick them up as a conversation piece, not unlike the '60's Elk amps from Japan (which copied Fender's cosmetics...but not their circuits).

It would be fun to hear Fender's comments on it..but if you send pics, you need to send pics of the tubes inside...because the amp copies from the Fender SS series people were referencing above.

• Members

Been a long time since I've seen one like that. Occasionally, people will pick them up as a conversation piece, not unlike the '60's Elk amps from Japan (which copied Fender's cosmetics...but not their circuits).

I don't think a lot of them were made - like they were probably made in somebody's garage-equiavent for GI's in the Phillipines. I'd bet there's more Dumbles than these things. :lol:

If the price is right, I'd snag one. If it really sucked stock, I'd rework it to something badass tweed and gig it for the lulz.

• Members

Even if it was a real Fender SS amp, I wouldn't give more than $50 for it, and then I'd use it as a cool end table. Those things caught fire more often than not.

As cheesy as this turkey is, it's likely to be better sounding than the crap it's copying. It's a gosh-durn real tube amp. If it was $50, didn't look like it was about to fall apart, and didn't sound like complete ass, I'd probably pick it up for the modding adventure.

• Members

If that were real I would buy it in a heartbeat.

The real Showman Solid State amp was actually a really neat idea executed in an incredibly bad way. They came with powered cabs and cost a fortune. IIRC they were about $1200.00 at the time.

I have only seen a handful of the Fender Solid State amps in person. I started looking for them in 1993 and even ran an ad in the back of 20th Century Guitar and VG for a year or two looking for some. I never got a phone call. Once I got a cab at a guitar show with the Solid State banner on it in maybe 95/96.

I have picked up a few and they work ok. Don't sound all that special but I like them because they're weird. The reverb units are around (or they were). I picked up a few of them for about $100 each in the 90s.

My tastes are far outside of HCEG but I tend to like things that are different like these.

Archived