How many guitars per tuning to do you use?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I'm curious how many guitars all of you devote to different tunings. It should be interesting to compare the guys with a lot of guitars versus the guys with a few guitars.

I currently use the following:

1 Strat for standard E

1 Les Paul (just bought not in hand yet) which will be used for switching between standard E and drop D

1 Strat currently a project, that will be exclusively E flat (possibly drop d flat if I choose to block the trem)

All I have is two guitars with the LP on the way. How about you guys?

• Members

Seven in E standard, one fake baritone, and an acoustic in open... uh... D? for the hour a year I spend reminding myself I suck at slide. One of the seven I plan on eventually dropping better pickups into and leaving in C# standard for the occasional foray into "brutal" poseur-metal; another one I keep meaning to drop down to D standard, but then I remember it has a Floyd and I don't want to waste a whole weekend tuning the damned thing. :D

• Members

I was in a heavier cover band for a few years and we used to play everything in recorded tunings. I used to bring 5 guitars to shows. Standard, Drop D (also standard backup), 1/2 step down, drop C# (also 1/2 step backup), and Drop C.

I know 90% of the crowd can't tell a difference, and it made making the set list difficult without changing guitars every other song, but to me everything sounds better in the correct keys.

• Members

Basic gig set-up: main guitar and backup (both in standard); one slide guitar in open A. The latter is only used for a few songs per set and the strings are much heavier (12-54) than my standard 10-52 gauge, so I take a chance on not breaking one and thus far (fingers AND toes crossed) I've been okay.

• Members

I play mainly metal and a lot of it downtuned to some degree.

Of my 13 electrics I have 5 guitars in E: One old beater I never play and only use for practising repairs on; an Explorer for metal; an LP, Strat and a Tele for tonal variety for blues.

The rest are tuned in half-steps down to B, as well as one drop-D, one drop-C and one D with the bass string dropped to A.

It's how I justify having many guitars; I "need" one for each tuning I use. :thu:

• Members

Dean electroresonator, Chinese Plywood dred w/sound hole pup and the 64 SG Jr, all in open G.

I play the the Chinese dred the most. Slide blues and songs like Cancion Mixteca sound really good on it. I'd play the SG more but is has a nice low action and I need to get or make one of those things you can put over the nut to raise the strings. Hardly ever play the Dean these days.

• Members

on my stage guitars, mostly standard 1/2 step down. Also one a full step down. Sometimes I have a dedicated dropped D(dropped C# actually) onstage but many times I just quickly retune. And then an open G guitar 1/2 step down (open F# I guess) As for all my others, it just depends on what I played last on it.

• Members

I only have 2 guitars, and I keep em both in standard.

Idk why, but I've never liked using different tunings. to me it always seemed like "cheating." :idk: maybe its just because I don't feel like re-learning the fretboard in a different tuning :lol:

• Members

I only have 2 guitars, and I keep em both in standard.

Idk why, but I've never liked using different tunings. to me it always seemed like "cheating."
:idk:
maybe its just because I don't feel like re-learning the fretboard in a different tuning
:lol:

Um, two points.

1. Spanish tuning did not become popular until the 50'sroughly and even then was a little rare.

2. Kief made his whole career on five strings open G. That's cheating? Rolling Stones? So I'd guess you would call using a laptop cheating too. =)

Archived