RIP Dick Clark

caveman

• Members

He is an American icon. He will be missed.

I grew up in Philadelphia when his show was still being broadcast from there. I was too young, but my older sister did get to go on. She was 16 at the time had to cut school that day to make it to the show.

• Members

American icon. Too bad his last famous act was being an A-hole in a Micheal Moore Doc.

After all of the music that he was involved in, and every New Year's Eve, and every award show & guest appearance, when I hear his name I see the clip of him getting in his van to avoid questioning in Bowling For Columbine. When someone super rich pays minimum wage so that they can be richer it just seems to hack away at humanity in some way.

That said, he has a family who will miss him...or does he have a 35 year old widow who is already shopping?

• Members

I don't think anyone has ever commented on it, hopefully maybe some have noticed it, but the THIRD line in my signature box below (which has been there for quite some time now) is a homage to his show, American Band Stand.

It was funny to me, even back then, to hear the kids on American Band Stand judge a song after listening and dancing to it, one boy and one girl would be brought up to the stand with Dick Clark and they would say virtually every time .... . . . .

• Members

It was funny to me, even back then, to hear the kids on American Band Stand judge a song after listening and dancing to it, one boy and one girl would be brought up to the stand with Dick Clark and they would say virtually every time .... . . . .

2011-04-05-12-23-531005948804.jpeg

• Members

I don't think anyone has ever commented on it, hopefully maybe some have noticed it, but the THIRD line in my signature box below (which has been there for quite some time now) is a homage to his show, American Band Stand.

Oddly enough, that quote was the very first thing I thought of when I saw the news on my homepage, and I remembered it was in your sig (always thought it was funny).

RIP Dick Clark, and I hope that his friends and family remember him well.

• Members

After all of the music that he was involved in, and every New Year's Eve, and every award show & guest appearance, when I hear his name I see the clip of him getting in his van to avoid questioning in Bowling For Columbine. When someone super rich pays minimum wage so that they can be richer it just seems to hack away at humanity in some way.

That said, he has a family who will miss him...or does he have a 35 year old widow who is already shopping?

Actually, Clark had been married to his (third) wife, Kari, for 35 years!

As far as the Bowling For Columbine thing...I'm a dyed-in-the-wool liberal...and I'd probably go out of my way to avoid Michael Moore and a camera crew.

• Moderators

Fill the rest of us in- what was the thing with Michael Moore?

(Source: Wikipedia)

"....Clark was featured in the 2002 documentary film Bowling for Columbine. He was criticized for hiring poor, unwed mothers to work long hours in his chain of restaurants for little pay. The mother in particular works over 80 hours per week and is unable to make rent and gets evicted which results in her having her son stay at his uncle's house. At his uncle's house the boy finds a gun and brings it to school where he shoots another first grader. In the documentary footage featuring Clark, Michael Moore tries to approach him to inform him of the welfare policies that allow for these conditions, and questions him about the people he employs and the tax breaks he takes advantage of, in employing welfare recipients; Clark refuses to answer any of Moore's questions, shutting the car door and driving away."

• Members

As far as the Bowling For Columbine thing...I'm a dyed-in-the-wool liberal...and I'd probably go out of my way to avoid Michael Moore and a camera crew.

Moore was the best thing that happened in the Bush era - what did you do with yourself for 8 years?

Archived