Painted f-holes... urgh...

honeyiscool

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For Paul its like a inside joke/sig thing for him.

He played neo classical and decided too make his guitars have a "old" adornment too them hence the F-hole you would find in many classical stringed instruments.

Btw the F hole is the original amplifier fyi.

Some guys like real F holes for their chambered sonics others just darn like the way they look.

You could say a Bullseye painted on a $5000 LPC was just as Meh and "dumb".

You dont like em do what I do. I dont buy them or entertain them in my thoughts.

Simple really.

:p:p:p

• Members

Paul Gilbert thinks The Spice Girls 'invented the Gm11th chord'. The guy is a tool.

I'm pretty sure that if he said it, he either:

1) Was just trying to rile people up.

2) Actually listens to and analyzes all kinds of music, no matter what the source.

p.s. I love the Spice Girls.

• Members

i honestly couldn't name one single paul gilbert "song" and i'm pretty sure i never want to.

I'm sure you're implying that all he does is shred or something, but Paul's got a good sense of melody, and most of his solo albums are vocal-based pop-rock. Probably not your bag, but they are indeed songs. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5nXgEu1RYc

• Members

Paul Gilbert loves music. Watch some of his workshops on youtube -- his enthusiasm for music is infectious, especially guitar. He's an extremely likable guy who plays better than, say, 95% of people out there. What's not to like?

• Members

I'm pretty sure that if he said it, he either:

1) Was just trying to rile people up.

2) Actually listens to and analyzes all kinds of music, no matter what the source.

p.s. I love the Spice Girls.

3) has a sense of humour* and just named Spice Girls as one of the bands unlikely to have invented it.

Actually this should be #2 because humour fits nicely in the spectrum of interaction between pissing people off and being seriously analytical.

* we know he does because he has painted f-holes.

• Members

Paul Gilbert thinks The Spice Girls 'invented the Gm11th chord'. The guy is a tool.

God I hope this a joke.

Can't imagine how dense you would have to be to think GIlbert genuinely believes that the Spice Girls "invented" m11th chords

• Members

Well then you yourself could have left it at that, instead of making it about how me liking Hello Kitty robs me of the right to vocalize why painted F-holes are stupid BECAUSE HOW DARE YOU...

I have no problems with people who play guitars with painted F-holes. I like Paul Gilbert. I just think his guitar looks stupid, that's all. As much as, for instance, Steve Vai's guitar is somewhat laughable and ridiculous looking, I don't find it offensive at all because it completely fits the image and looks coherent.

Does your glass house come with glass keys?

• Members

That's awesome! So all this is off some innocent remark he made to get a laugh out of the audience? It's not like he claimed the chord was invented by the Spice Girls, plus, he's not even playing it in the original key (Ebm), and he's tuned in D, so it's actually an F#m11 he's playing. As usual, it's people twisting what people say.

Hahaha Stairway solo.

It does confirm one thing I always liked about Paul Gilbert, though. He's never too good for any kind of music, he knows how to dial it down and it really does seem like he listens to everything. It's a good attitude. If everyone who dedicates any time to trashing the mainstream pop music spent 1/10 the amount of time actually learning a pop song or two, they might learn something about song structure, melody, and a couple of interesting chords.

Archived