Painted f-holes... urgh...

honeyiscool

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Gotta love HCEG. Ugly guitar decorations (as long as they're
traditional
ugly guitar decorations, of course!) are a matter of personal taste, live and let live, who are we to judge? But "hair metal > Nirvana" is both incontrovertible scientific fact and unquestionable religious dogma.

He he.

• Members

Electric guitar has become such a serious instrument. It's all about the old vintage correct blablabla. There's an element of fun in those Ibanez ! Do we say Ibanezes ?

YES. Excellently put. They aren't to my taste, but they have an element of FUN. Gilbert is a showman - he was never going to have a very conservative guitar. PLUS.... he's a professional musician. Whether it offends your sensibilities about "art" or not, if you want to make a living from music, there has to be an element of selling your product. Branding is part of that. Having a guitar with a clear, identifiable look to it, something quirky, unique, sticks in the mind.... that helps. Brian May and his Red Special. Johnny Ramone's Mosrite. Hendrix's upside down Strat. All clear, visual brands. Actually, Ramone even knew this when he went looking for a guitar - he bought that first Mosrite (the blue one) for two reasons - one, it was the cheapest in the shop, and two it was different than what everyone else was playing at the time, and it set him apart. Long before I ever heard anything by Gilbert, in the pre-internet days I had seen him in S guitar magazines. I knew two things about him instantly that distinguished him in my mind from all the other players in there. One, those fake F holes, and two, all those posed shots where he held his (obviously right-handed) guitar left handed. Some of those photos are stuck in my head to this day. That's a clever bit of brand management right there.

• Members

What does Hello Kitty have anything to do with anything?

I have no doubt that you are a very intelligent young man and that your question is a provocation, but I will tell you anyway. When one is in possession of something as hideous as a Hello Kitty guitar, one should have enough wisdom not to question any other guitar design. Period. And if you do think that painted F-holes are ugly, you should be wise enough not to say in in public. For some stupid reason, and this is very typical of this forum, people have the need to let the rest of the forum population know that they don't like something. Do you really think we care? As is evident from above, I think that the Hello Kitty guitar that you own is the ugliest looking thing ever unleashed on the guitar buying population. Did I make a thread about it? No...Who cares what I like and dislike...

• Members

Hello Kitty is one of the most famous and beloved designs in the world, far more universal than any guitar design. I understand why someone might consider it hideous, but I think anybody with a brain would realize that it's not a widely accepted fact that it's hideous, since Hello Kitty designs make more than a billion dollars annually worldwide.

As a result, I fail to see what this has anything to do with painted F-holes.

• Members

The fact that Hello Kitty design is so popular and makes so much money is irrelevant here. I was referring to what guitars with their 'logo' look like. Again, this is just my opinion, and I was hoping I wouldn't have to state it again, as this kind of negative talk can become annoying real fast, regardless of who/what it is directed against.

By the same analogy, if I put a Coca-Cola sticker on my PGM, is it gonna look better than the F-holes? We all love Coca-Cola and the profit Hello Kitty makes compared to that of Coca-Cola is laughable. My Ibanez PGM 500 is red and...wait...hey, there's an idea! :)

Seriously though, no need to take this any further, it's more than OK that you think F-holes are ugly...

• Members

Well then you yourself could have left it at that, instead of making it about how me liking Hello Kitty robs me of the right to vocalize why painted F-holes are stupid BECAUSE HOW DARE YOU...

I have no problems with people who play guitars with painted F-holes. I like Paul Gilbert. I just think his guitar looks stupid, that's all. As much as, for instance, Steve Vai's guitar is somewhat laughable and ridiculous looking, I don't find it offensive at all because it completely fits the image and looks coherent.

Archived