The Goldtop Transmogrification Thread

Guitar Heel

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

No, not done.

I originally avoided the binding for fear I'd screw it up.

Then, I couldn't get the seam between the red and the gold right...kept botching that every time I fixed it.

To top that off, the red color in the poly is a very thin layer close to the top. When sanding the sides and back, I nicked into the red in several places and couldn't find a good fix to repair the red.

My solution is to add the binding. That gives you an easy line to work with between the colors.

I'll fix the red by respraying all of that with one quick coat of lacquer, then clearcoat the whole thing.

Getting close.

The gold top and the binding were the hard parts.

EG

• Members

Thanks. Cutting into the wood like that gave me an :eek: but it turned out fine.

Now, as you can see the light colored splotches along the side are where the color layer got jacked. The way they do this is weird, with layers of clear, then the color then more clear. It's bizarre, because the grain and stuff you see on the cherry part isn't really grain...it's painted.

Once you get the color off, the separate pieces of wood and the mismatched grain becomes apparent. My recommendation at this point is to do a solid color on the back, sides and neck. You down for a black guitar with gold top?

EG

• Members
great job! looks much better than my first refin ever...

DSC_0177.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0001-4.jpg
DSC_0004-3.jpg

i ended up selling mine to mike fiasco...who promptly sanded it and finished it natural. hahahahaha

looks about like my first one bud:lol:... you're in Tulsa now? i grew up there... 61st and Peoria to be exact...

E, you do amazing work my friend... she looks great!!!

• Members

Awsome! Glad to see that you did some binding...did you buy that carved top binding thingy from stew mac for the dremmel...did you make something yourself (I know you are mechanically inclined)...I want to know more about your process and do you have any pictures?:thu:

Oh yeah, It looks great!

• Members
Awsome! Glad to see that you did some binding...did you buy that carved top binding thingy from stew mac for the dremmel...did you make something yourself (I know you are mechanically inclined)...I want to know more about your process and do you have any pictures?
:thu:

Oh yeah, It looks great!

Sorry, that's all the pics I got. My real camera had dead batteries.
Process? It was terribly complex. :rolleyes: First, I taped the line. Then, I scored the line with a knife. After that, I removed the wood with a cutting bit and a diamond bit on the Dremel, then cleaned it up with a knife and a file.

Nothing fancy, just a lot of slow, careful work.

EG

• Members
Sorry, that's all the pics I got. My real camera had dead batteries.

Process? It was terribly complex.
:rolleyes:
First, I taped the line. Then, I scored the line with a knife. After that, I removed the wood with a cutting bit and a diamond bit on the Dremel, then cleaned it up with a knife and a file.

Nothing fancy, just a lot of slow, careful work.

EG

Even better!

Archived