The Goldtop Transmogrification Thread

Guitar Heel

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you'll remember from the first blurry pic...
HPIM0725.jpg

There was a third hole drilled for an extra volume control. It wasn't drilled in quite the correct location....I think the driller eyeballed it. Anyway, it was off line just a bit and a little closer to one side than the other. GH wanted it plugged, so I cut a little piece of dowel and did so...
HPIM0771.jpg

With the binding idea out the window, the top is pretty much ready to begin finish work. First step after getting everything sanded nice and smooth is to apply grain filler...
HPIM0772.jpg

And, yes, I like to use the grain filler. Now to wait for that to dry and I'll sand it smooth again tomorrow.

EG

• Members
If you'll remember from the first blurry pic...

HPIM0725.jpg

There was a third hole drilled for an extra volume control. It wasn't drilled in quite the correct location....I think the driller eyeballed it. Anyway, it was off line just a bit and a little closer to one side than the other. GH wanted it plugged, so I cut a little piece of dowel and did so...

HPIM0771.jpg

With the binding idea out the window, the top is pretty much ready to begin finish work. First step after getting everything sanded nice and smooth is to apply grain filler...

HPIM0772.jpg

And, yes, I like to use the grain filler. Now to wait for that to dry and I'll sand it smooth again tomorrow.

EG

Grain filler is for pussies! :lol: I think it looks like a lot less work than sand and spray and sand and spray, I didn't use it cuz I wanted topography:rolleyes: but for a solid color or a nice clear shine filler-up.

• Members

It is pretty nice looking wood, however it's made from nine pieces. I'm afraid it's just not cut out for a clearcoat.

EG

Yeah, I couldn't believe it was 9 pieces. WOW. Reminded me of Ferris Bueller... NINE PIECES?

Looks awesome EG, you are the man.

• Members

Saturday Update....

During the week, I got everything sanded down. Applied grain filler twice more with thinned filler. Taping was a big part of the work this week. Tedious work but I think the masking job is good. Pic.
HPIM0775.jpg

After having crappy cold, rainy weather all morning, I assumed my chances to spray were shot for the day. After the rain, though came a dry northwest wind and the humidity was gone in an hour. I grabbed the sanding sealer and applied three light coats.

Outside...
HPIM0776.jpg

Inside...
HPIM0778.jpg
HPIM0779.jpg
HPIM0781.jpg

This paint is worth the price. You could buff this out right now and be happy with it if you like superthin finishes. I would have used a different grain filler and the plug in the top would be out but, you know..

This first coat of sealer shows me where all the remaining trouble spots are and provides a nice base from which to fix them before applying color. If you left it like it is now and applied a color, it would have the appearance of a Gibson faded finish. I dig that look but it's not what we're doing here, so all that grain has to go....so the grain filler goes on again after this dries 24 hours. After that it will get sanded again then sprayed with probably three more light coats of sealer. My light coats are probably 50% coverage.

The glow of the Reranch lacquer, even if this is just a sealer coat, is wonderful. They make a terrific product and the particle size that comes out of their sprayer rivals most spray guns. It really puts out a microfine mist.

So, more tomorrow.

EG

• Members

The glow of the Reranch lacquer, even if this is just a sealer coat, is wonderful. They make a terrific product and the particle size that comes out of their sprayer rivals most spray guns. It really puts out a microfine mist.

I've been really impressed with my reranch project. Just waiting for good weather to shoot the clear on it now.

• Members

So this morning I applied more grain filler then sanded with 400 and 600 grit dry paper. The pics kinda capture the glow this thing already has but not very well. It's ready for another coat of sealer now. I'll wait til late this afternoon so the first coat has a full 24 hours to dry before I spray over it again. So far so good. The Reranch lacquer is very easy to work with.

HPIM0783.jpg
HPIM0782.jpg

EG

• Members
Wooooaaaawwww..... Looking good!!

I have perfected you painting skills since you Silver SG - haven't seen that one in a while - you still have it EG?

Anyway - happy sunday everybody!!!!!
:wave:

Yes, I still have it. This paint is much easier to work with than the stuff I used on that guitar. I'm afraid I've been turned into a paint snob on this job.

EG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

OK, so an update. The last we saw of the SE, it was getting sealed. Here is the final pic of the sealed guitar before the primer.
HPIM0781.jpg

Then comes primer. Reranch recommends a white primer under the gold. Who am I to tell them they're wrong? White it is.
HPIM0794.jpg
HPIM0787.jpg

EG

Archived