The Goldtop Transmogrification Thread

Guitar Heel

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's pretty much the same. Actually, not a bad idea as you have to be careful since a lot of grain fillers will shrink over time. Don't buy cheap grain filler. A really open grained wood like oak or something, that would be tough to do. Maple, with a nice tight grain, you could do that easily.

EG

• Members
gotta love a goldtop!

A guy that used to post around here "Shovelhead" did this thinline goldtop conversion for me a few years back. cept mine is a faux binding. That PRS is gonna look good!

gtt1.jpg
gtt3.jpg
gtt6.jpg
gldtele1.jpg

looking forward to seeing the progect develop

:love::love::love:

That turned out great!

• Members

Just yesterday I was just wondering what happened to Don! How long has it been since he's posted on here?

i have no idea. I haven't really posted regularly around here for a while now. I thought he also posted on the gear page and tdpri. I inquired to him about doing another gold top with a V but he said he was too busy to take on projects. that was a least a year ago maybe two.

• Members
Nice tele!

Looks great EG...you still sending this to me for a scrotum polish before it goes back to GH?

Mmmmhhhhh....... scrotum polish....... :love:

Well, Elias, that should keep you out of mischief for a while!!!!!! :wave:

Excellent project GH & EG.

How are you intending to proceed for the binding? Will you have to route the guitar's edge?

• Members
Mmmmhhhhh....... scrotum polish.......
:love:

Well, Elias, that should keep you out of mischief for a while!!!!!!
:wave:

Excellent project GH & EG.

How are you intending to proceed for the binding? Will you have to route the guitar's edge?

I'm kinda curious about this myself...

• Members

Me too. :D

Actually need to wait and see. The polyester finish is pretty thick. I'll mask off the strip for the binding and see. Chances are I'll have to rout into the wood just a bit to square everything up. Since the sides aren't getting stripped I'll have to account for the thickness of the finish.

After the binding goes on, I'll clearcoat over it and move the tape so the clear lacquer will overlap the clear polyester a bit then buff it out.

Fear not, it shall kick ass.

EG

Archived