The Goldtop Transmogrification Thread

Guitar Heel

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So, you all remember these shadowy spots that kept showing up? Well, they did it again. They aren't visible til I start polishing. :mad:

Anyway, reranch doesn't seem to have any answers for why it's happening so I go to order another can of gold. They don't have it any more. :rolleyes:

To top that off, some of the paint started peeling and when I went to see what was up I realized that NONE of the gold had melted into the primer. The entire gold top just started lifting right off. I peeled the whole damn thing in three pieces. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Now, I'm back down to primer again.

To be honest, I'm very disappointed in the reranch products. The spray tips don't atomize worth a crap, the cans sputter like a $2 can of enamel and you can only get about 2/3 of the can used before the whole thing craps out. I think I'm done with their stuff from now on.

Fortunately, the local auto paint shop had DuPont Sunburst Gold in acrylic lacquer available, so there's a switch being done. As soon as I finish prepping the top again, it's DuPont time.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

EG

• Members
So, you all remember these shadowy spots that kept showing up? Well, they did it again. They aren't visible til I start polishing.
:mad:
Anyway, reranch doesn't seem to have any answers for why it's happening so I go to order another can of gold. They don't have it any more.
:rolleyes:
To top that off, some of the paint started peeling and when I went to see what was up I realized that NONE of the gold had melted into the primer. The entire gold top just started lifting right off. I peeled the whole damn thing in three pieces.

Now, I'm back down to primer again.

To be honest, I'm very disappointed in the reranch products. The spray tips don't atomize worth a crap, the cans sputter like a $2 can of enamel and you can only get about 2/3 of the can used before the whole thing craps out. I think I'm done with their stuff from now on.

Fortunately, the local auto paint shop had DuPont Sunburst Gold in acrylic lacquer available, so there's a switch being done. As soon as I finish prepping the top again, it's DuPont time.

EG

Well hopefully it will burn in to the primer better anyway. I would rather have that happen at my house than once it gets back to its owner.:idk:

• Members

Here are the last pics I took before the peel. The spots were hard to get with the camera. It was weird; from certain angles it looked perfect and from other angles it was awful. :freak:

9d6315a4.jpg

86a11b12.jpg

69cdcc5a.jpg

7ebc8e77.jpg

4a76926b.jpg

Anyway, it's stripped back to sealer now. Spent the last couple of days redoing the binding that was damaged in the peel off.

Will shoot the new primer tonight and let it sit for a few days, then try the Duplicolor gold.

EG

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Overdue update.

After the numerous "shadowing" incidents on the gold top, I contacted Reranch to find out WTF I was doing wrong. They couldn't tell me. :rolleyes:

I went to order yet another can of gold and learned they pulled it from their product offerings.

We decided to screw that and go with Duplicolor...which entailed yet another stripdown.

In that process, I fubar'd the binding :facepalm: and took the opportunity to do that up a little nicer. Found some sweet 1/16" thick hard maple, soaked it and bent it and glued it up. Clamping that stuff down was a MOTHER! It's on now, though, and it looks fantastic. The pics here still look like frankenstein, as the cherry sides haven't been retouched yet, but the lines are straight and tight on the binding, no sandthroughs and no gaps. I'm finally pleased with that aspect of it.

HPIM0957.jpg

HPIM0956.jpg

EG

• Members

Tomorrow night, I'll start on the red touchup. Hopefully, I can do some gold on sunday or Monday.

Getting that maple bent and clamped in place was a bit of a job. When it's that thick, it wants to break. You have to soak it for a while then apply heat and prebend it into shape.

I used nylon cord for clamps, just wrapping it and wrapping it til you have the whole thing tight. I think I used about 200 feet of rope to go around it. It looked like a freakin mummy when I had it all tied off. :lol:

Once that's done, you take a scraper and pull everything flush.

I'm pleased with how the binding turned out. There are two seams on the binding, but you have to look very close to find them. I did them at 45 degree angle overlaps so they're pretty invisible.

I have applied a couple of coats of clear to the binding already to protect it. I will tape off the binding next so I can go touch up the red. With the clear on the binding, the red won't soak into the maple. If there is any bleed through the tape, I'll be able to sand it off and not have red stained binding.

EG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
T'll be way cooler when I finally get it finished.
:o

EG

These strip/refinish jobs have a way of taking on a life & will of their own, it seems.
I heard once, & mind you, it's only a rumour, that Murphys law was spawned in the re-finish industry. :freak:

Archived