The Goldtop Transmogrification Thread

Guitar Heel

• Members

My current address is temporary. :D

The binding is actually way oversized. I'd say about 1/8"x1/2". It won't need to be that wide or thick. That's the nice thing about wood binding, though. You can install it then sand smooth for a perfect fit. It leaves more wiggle room than plastic binding.

GH, we need to decide how wide you want the binding to be. As thin as the body is, I think leaving the binding full sized will be out of proportion. Looks to me that going about 3/16" wide is about right.

EG

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

3/16" it shall be then. I'll tape it off this weekend and take some pics. That should give a good visual.

The finish on the top is getting pretty thin all over. Hopefully I can work in the garage this weekend and get the top stripped clean.

Once I get there, the binding strip shouldn't take too long. Then it'll just be a matter for the weather giving right conditions to spray.

EG

• Members
3/16" it shall be then. I'll tape it off this weekend and take some pics. That should give a good visual.

The finish on the top is getting pretty thin all over. Hopefully I can work in the garage this weekend and get the top stripped clean.

Once I get there, the binding strip shouldn't take too long. Then it'll just be a matter for the weather giving right conditions to spray.

EG

No rush whatsoever brotha. :thu:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The top is sanded clean now.
HPIM0761.jpg

I can only get so close with the sandpaper in the tight corners.
HPIM0762.jpg
HPIM0763.jpg

But after a little work with some hand files I got em cleaned out.
HPIM0766.jpg
HPIM0768.jpg
HPIM0769.jpg

This pic is after sanding to 320 grit and steel wool. It really brought out the gold color of the wood.
HPIM0770.jpg

I have a meeting with Billy the guitar builder tomorrow to talk about cutting the binding channel.

EG

• Members
The top is sanded clean now.

HPIM0761.jpg

I can only get so close with the sandpaper in the tight corners.

HPIM0762.jpg
HPIM0763.jpg

But after a little work with some hand files I got em cleaned out.

HPIM0766.jpg
HPIM0768.jpg
HPIM0769.jpg

This pic is after sanding to 320 grit and steel wool. It really brought out the gold color of the wood.

HPIM0770.jpg

I have a meeting with Billy the guitar builder tomorrow to talk about cutting the binding channel.

EG

WOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!

• Members

Still not sure about the routing. I'm without a shop right now so tools are scarce.

Going to meet a guitar builder tonight to discuss options. The carved top is making this difficult. If not for that, it would be no trouble.

You should've sent me a tele, GH. :poke:

EG

• Members

I've been looking at that, and, no it isn't a consistent contour. That's what's been the big problem for me.

What I'm hoping to get from Billy tonight is the right method, which would be to cut a template out of some flat MDF or something, brace it to the top nice and level and route from there.

Billy has a shop, so I'm hoping I can get some assistance on that part. Being shopless blows. :mad:

EG

• Members

Nobody looks at the 2.0 version.

Met with Billy the guitar builder just now and he's not optimistic on the binding. We have a few things working against us.

First, the carved top is making tough to use a router without a template.

Second, even with a template, the top edge of the guitar isn't flat either. The contour changes a little as it goes around and we won't have a straight edge across the top.

The consensus seems to be that we'll go forward without binding. That was the original plan, so, back to it.

With that decision made, I'll do grain filler tonight and get this beast ready to spray!

EG

Archived