The Goldtop Transmogrification Thread

Guitar Heel

• Members

Perhaps natural binding via masking tape?

The problem there is getting it even all the way across. The other problem is that this is all mahogany (no maple cap), so it'd be tough to see the difference. EG had been researching ways to do join the gold to the red cleanly, but in the end we decided on this:

2018_1sm.jpg

Went with flamed maple.

And the rest of the guitar will remain wine red. Should look pretty sharp.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i stand corrected

i figured there would be at least 3 or 4 haters with "Youre doing WHAT to a PRS???" by now

don't jinx it...we've still got a long way to go...:p

If this had been a USA model though, the thread would have been locked and the FBI would have been here by now.

• Members

Yes, here is my sander. Power sanders are just too easy to gouge wood with. I prefer the old fashioned way.

HPIM0730.jpg

EG

I'm the same way. If it's a flat top like a tele, I wouldn't care, but I hand sanded my les paul over the summer. Just make sure you get all of the sanding sealer off.

• Members

I'm the same way. If it's a flat top like a tele, I wouldn't care, but I hand sanded my les paul over the summer. Just make sure you get all of the sanding sealer off.

just curious. why would you want to get the sealer off? isn't the point of the sealer to provide a smooth surface for finishing?

• Members

Regarding the sealer: The factory finish has a black grain filler, a clear coat, a cherry coat and another clear coat. If you don't get down into the grain filler, the black streaks will remain. You can kind of see them in the lower portion of the above photo. As a gold top ages, the grain starts to show through. I don't want weird black streaks appearing.

Regarding the binding: It won't go inside the horns. I've been looking at some PRS gold tops and the binding ends at the tip of the horn like this one.

PRS_McCarty_Goldtop_guitar_2.jpg

prs-dgt-goldtop-9.jpg

EG

• Members

Well, you need to use grain filler most of the time, just on this one it was black. If you don't use it, you'll never get the finish smooth. Grain filler, sandpaper, sanding sealer, primer, color. Can't skip or it'll be rough.

That's what a lot of folks don't do with paint. Your finish is only as good as the surface under it.

EG

Archived