Oddball Guitars

Ultimatum

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Less time than it would a piece of nickel silver and much less time than a piece of stainless steel. Aluminium is a soft metal and if hard anodised the coating tend to be quite brittle and not very wear resistant. I'm curious as to how they make an aluminium edge that doesn't wear.

Gentleman, learn about aluminum before talking about it's properties. Yes, pure aluminum is very soft. But you can alloy it with other metals to make it harder. Copper, or 2000 series, is the most common. 6000 series, don't remember the alloyed metal, is pretty hard as is 7000 series. In fact, 7075 needs to be bent in the annealed, or 0 condition, then heat treated or it will snap. There are also different levels of heat treatment and age hardening which greatly changes the properties of aluminum

• Members
I can't see any alloy of aluminum lasting much longer than a regular guitar fret. Anyways... if it was why wouldn't they make frets out of aluminum?

They aren't frets. The Bond has an aluminum "stepped" fret board. No one will ever wear one of those out.

bond84electraglide5.jpg

• Members

They aren't frets. The Bond has an aluminum "stepped" fret board. No one will ever wear one of those out.

bond84electraglide5.jpg

Yeah, I get what it is. I don't see why that would be any less prone to wear than a fret. It's still steel contacting aluminum. The contact area is about the same a fret only that aluminum step looks a little sharper, meaning it will probably wear out a little faster than a rounded fret.

Regardless of whether or not those are "frets", if there were some aluminum alloy that wore better, then frets would be made out of it. I'm guessing they chose aluminum as the material for that guitar because of it's weight.

• Members

Yeah, I get what it is. I don't see why that would be any less prone to wear than a fret. It's still steel contacting aluminum. The contact area is about the same a fret only that aluminum step looks a little sharper, meaning it will probably wear out a little faster than a rounded fret.

Regardless of whether or not those are "frets", if there were some aluminum alloy that wore better, then frets would be made out of it. I'm guessing they chose aluminum as the material for that guitar because of it's weight.

I bought mine in 1985. It has a lot of hours on it. No wear at all. I can't say that about any of the many other guitars that I own including the ones with stainless steel frets.

• Members
I bought mine in 1985. It has a lot of hours on it. No wear at all. I can't say that about any of the many other guitars that I own including the ones with stainless steel frets.

----------I've owned Bonds since the mid-80's as well, and mine are still like new. They wear very well.....................The REAL Rocker.

• Members

Gentleman, learn about aluminum before talking about it's properties. Yes, pure aluminum is very soft. But you can alloy it with other metals to make it harder. Copper, or 2000 series, is the most common. 6000 series, don't remember the alloyed metal, is pretty hard as is 7000 series. In fact, 7075 needs to be bent in the annealed, or 0 condition, then heat treated or it will snap. There are also different levels of heat treatment and age hardening which greatly changes the properties of aluminum

Very true. :thu:

• Members

You've seen 'em all before but here're the oddest of mine.

First up a Jackson Vinnie Vincent V (none more pointy!):

VVV.jpg

The Schecter ICU-7:

ICU7.jpg

An aluminum Jackson Roswell Rhoads:

Roswell-1.jpg

And lastly I think the Washburn EC-36 fits here too:

EC36-1.jpg

• Members

I have this Mystic. A neat feature is that the tone knobs change the pickups from single coil to humbucking.

PeaveyMystic.jpg

Holy crap, that's even weirder than the Mantis I have. Sorry for the stock pick.

-190543103120125961.jpg

It has one of those HB to SC pickups too. I gotta get the trem fixed up on mine though and I dunno anything about that. Yet. :lol:

• Members

for the whole bonds fretboard debate.. i say go with the word of the person who has owned one for 10+ yrs. he's either telling the truth.. or he's lying for no apparent reason.

I've been playing mine for about 25 years. Wear on the fretboard is something that I've never even thought of.

I'm looking at it right now. It looks as good as new.

• Members

not an odd shape put graphics are different.
schecter spitefire solo 6 When you are 12 it's the coolest thing in the world.
IMAG0265.jpg' alt='>'>
And an action shot from sat. night at my sons show.
046.jpg' alt='>'>

Archived