Oddball Guitars

Ultimatum

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My 1st guitar, an early 80's Hondo solidbody copy of a Danelectro Longhorn. It was $175 shipped with case, ordered from an ad in the back of Creem or Circus magazine. It came from the factory with a DiMarzio in it for some reason, swapped in a GFS Lipstick-bucker a few years back.

HondoLongHorn.jpg

Teisco Del Rey ET-460

01-Front.jpg

• Members

Regardless of whether or not those are "frets", if there were some aluminum alloy that wore better, then frets would be made out of it. I'm guessing they chose aluminum as the material for that guitar because of it's weight.

Not necessarily. Frets need to be somewhat "soft" so that the tangs will bend and hold, and so that the fret can be bent to match the curve of the fingerboard. A stepped fingerboard would be machined and could be made out of extremely hard aluminum - it requires no bend-ability.

• Members

I hate to dredge this up, but as an engineer, I find the stepped aluminum fretboard to be a stroke of manufacturability genius. As a guitar player I am horrified to think about playing it.

I think I can explain why the aluminum fretboard does not wear. As I stated in my earlier post, the fingerboard could be made of an extremely hard aluminum alloy.

Also, if you visualize what a fretted string would look like on such a fingerboard, the contact area of the string would be huge. Contrast this to a string being fretted against a fret where the contact area is minuscule. Plus the natural stiffness of the string would tend to relieve the pressure at the edge of the step because the string would resist the bend at the step.

Archived