Oddball Guitars

Ultimatum

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's a Washburn DC80 Stevens extended cutaway I used to have. Great sounding and playing guitar, but the design was a bit fragile, and most didn't have a long life before they became unplayable.

100_2984.jpg

Here is one of my builds. I started out with a single mahogany board. I cut it in half and glued the two pieces together side by side, and basically cut away everything that wasn't guitar.

100_2733.jpg

100_2734.jpg

Another of my builds... I've had this wormy chunk of mahogany lying about for the past 20 years... finally decided to do something with it.... Check out all the little worm holes... helps the wood "breathe."

IMG_1416.jpg

• Members

Picked this up for $200 at a local guitar store after it went under. Came with a nice case. It has since been "modded" (term used kinda loosely) with LED lights put inside it.

LuzxS.jpg

---

This Gretsch is kiiinda oddball. The model is, really. It's a 6114R, which was made in the early 2000s and is pre-Fender. It was nicely broken in by the past owner. I'm kinda on the fence about it, to be honest. It's not as nice as this next guitar...

V6125.jpg

---

gp0KV.jpg

...which is my Fender Toronado. Another early 2000s guitar, this one is my favorite. Not much to say about it. Made in America, pretty nicely rare. I dig it. I actually have another one in a different finish (butterscotch blonde), but I mainly picked it up because it was a good deal, will hold its value, and is useful when the red one isn't ready (needs a bit of a wiring fix at the moment).

---

Here's my Squier Super-sonic. Made in Japan, actually so the uneducated gear snob might undervalue it at first glance. It's pretty cool. Made in 97 I think, with the desirable blue sparkle finish. The titled bridge pup gives it a really cool, unique sound.

lQlz8.jpg

• Members

Here's my Squier Super-sonic. Made in Japan, actually so the uneducated gear snob might undervalue it at first glance. It's pretty cool. Made in 97 I think, with the desirable blue sparkle finish. The titled bridge pup gives it a really cool, unique sound.

lQlz8.jpg

Bandmate of mine in a garage rock group called Sick Dick and the Volkswagens had the silver sparkle version (on left below-- I'm not in pic).

l.jpg

• Members

That's really cool looking, man. Do those studs/posts allow for a tune-o-matic conversion?

Yep, but it doesn't really make any meaningful difference. It was an experiment. :idk:

I want to get some threaded rod that will fit the inserts and rig a swiveling cup holder on there. :D

• Members

Bought a Dearmond Jetstar a few months back cheap at GC. The thing was immaculate, and I flipped it. Still kicking my self, cause it sounded fantastic.

And, from my thread last week, my newly beloved Dipinto Galaxie 4 Los Straitjackets model. It is the Surf Hammer of the Gods. It sounds better (assuming you like it's tilt a whirl looks) than it looks. It vaulted straight into he top three of my guitars.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2910419-NGD&highlight=dipinto

• Members

I just got a 60s Airline electric a couple days ago, this isn't mine but I got the exact same model:

30U-17261_front.jpg

It's a 3/4 size, short scale model. I posted a NGD but no one really asked questions about it so I didn't really follow through with the thread. But it pretty much sounds exactly the way I hoped and expected it would. Think old bluesmen and the Black Keys' 'Brothers' album. The old pickups just howl. I love it.

• Members
I'm guessing a refret will be expensive.

-------------Bond guitars in general usually would never NEED a refret, since the fretboard has no frets to begin with:thu:One thing that may not be known here, The Bond Guitar has no wood in it at all, and is entirely made of Carbon Fiber, including the fretboard. The fretboard has a series of "steps", made from Carbon Fiber that act as frets. The fretboard will ALWAYS remain straight, and will never be affected by sweat or moisture:love:and while most will never be able to find one(the vast majority will never need it though), the boards were designed to be replaceable by the factory............................The REAL Rocker.

Archived