What do you think are the prettiest guitars of all time?

honeyiscool

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
bGRETSCH6120DSW2.jpg

This...is a beautiful guitar.
It speaks to me.
And on paper, this is about as close to perfect as I can imagine. Headstock lettering aside, it's hollow, has Dynasonics, a vibrato, soft cut-away, block inlays, trans finish...lose the pick guard and floating bridge and it's everything I want in a guitar.

• Members

I don't really care for strats, but I totally appreciate their form-following-function design. I think that in terms of pure design, this is, truly, a thing of beauty. It has been recognized internationally by some of the world's best design experts as an example of modern design that is, at the same time beautiful.

56strat1.jpg

56strat2.jpg

As far as acoustics go, there is nothing sweeter than a Martin 000. Visually, it is perfectly balanced, and the combination of spruce, ebony, and rosewood are classic. Then, you have, on this particular model, the small herringbone purfling and rosette, the understated diamonds and squares fret markers, and the classic spade headstock with volute. The flamed mahogany neck and beautiful rosewood figuring is also top drawer. Great guitar.

mec1.jpg

mec2.jpg

• Members

I buy only guitars that I think are beautiful as well as musical. So, of my collection, my favourites for pretty are the Greco (below, and in my avatar) and the Rickenbacker 330/12.

GrecoEG60-150.jpg

1240Rickenbacker33012.jpg

If I were to list those I'd like to get hold of, it'd probably be this Martin, because it's classy and understated and rather reserved....

MartinGoldenEra_36081078_2.jpg

and this Tele, because it isn't....

Paisley-Tele2.jpg

• Members

I posted my Strat, which I really think is a pretty guitar, but my personal preference is a lightly figured, lightly faded Les Paul. The first time I started noticing these was when I was about 12 or 13 and I thought they looked weird. Kind of like a shrunken jazz guitar or something. Most of the guitars we saw in the shops were cheap Japanese Teiscos or Danos and Kays from the US. The expensive Fenders and Gibsons would be locked away in a back room somewhere out of harms way. I eventually became enamored with the Les Paul but never thought I'd be able to afford one. Even when I was in my 30's and early 40's, the LP was out of my reach. Once I started making money, I couldn't stop buying them. I have 7 now! Two Classics from 2000, an R4, R8, and R0, a Lifeson and a Baritone Studio.

r8a.jpg

This Lifeson is a thing of beauty as well:

al.jpg

• Members

I buy only guitars that I think are beautiful as well as musical. So, of my collection, my favourites for pretty are the Greco (below, and in my avatar) and the Rickenbacker 330/12.

GrecoEG60-150.jpg
1240Rickenbacker33012.jpg

If I were to list those I'd like to get hold of, it'd probably be this Martin, because it's classy and understated and rather reserved....

MartinGoldenEra_36081078_2.jpg

and this Tele, because it isn't....

Paisley-Tele2.jpg

That Greco is ridiculous.

• Members

I'm surprised to see so many Ricks. I thought they were an acquired taste, but HCEG folks do have good taste! Here's a 620 that's absolutely a blast to play. You'd think it would be bright with all of that maple, but you'd be wrong. It's closer to a Les Paul Jr. with P90's than you'd think!

rick620.jpg

And how 'bout its more modern cousin', the incredibly toneful 650 Dakota? What a looker!

rick650d.jpg

Archived