Name dropper thread - who famous/semi-famous have you met in person?

jetydosa

• Members

Against Me! opened for us about 7 years ago, so I probably said hi to the lead singer guy, as we were all using my PA. I also did a show back in the 90's and Sister Hazel went on right after us, so I probably said hi to those guys too. In both cases those bands were unknown except locally at the time. I've said hi to a couple guys from Less Than Jake when seeing them around town or at our shows (they used to be friends with another local band we used to gig with), particularly their bassist, as I've played a show on the same bill with a side project of his (Rehasher).

I've met all the members of Cheap Trick and hung out all day backstage after interviewing Bun E. Carlos:

bunebk.jpg

I met Tom Petty's former Heartbreakers drummer Stan Lynch at a local music awards show (I live in Gainesville, where the Heartbreakers' precursors started out) in 1999. He was getting a "lifetime achievement" award because in addition to the Heartbreakers thing he now has a studio over near St. Augustine that some local musicians use for recording. My band was up for 3 awards but didn't win any that year. :(

About a year ago I played bass for Bo Diddley in a pickup band for a benefit gig:

880385791_l.jpg

There's probably some others but those come to mind quickest.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Voivod -- met all members, talked and got autographs after a show in Dallas. THere were only like 30 people there, so they made time to talk to the fans. Great guys. RIP Piggy.

Lemmy - Motorhead

White Zombie - entire band

Ritchie Blackmore - when in Ranibow

Riot - same night as Blackmore, they opened along with Saxon

Dime and Vinnie - Pantera of course. If you were in the scene in DFW, you always ran into them.

Jason Gong (when he was in Drowning Pool, now of A.M. Conspiracy)

Ed Grundy of Bloodrock fame (bassist, he ran an ecommerce program at a community college and I taught in his group several years ago)

B.J. Thomas at DFW airport

Kerry King of Slayer at John Wayne Airport

Vivian Campbell - in his Dio years at a guitar show in the 80s. Got his autgraph and chatted for a minute.

Gary Hoey - at this year's Dallas Guitar show, super nice guy. Took pictures with us, talked, and signed autographs

Some lesser knowns but signed and touring bands: I played shows with or promoted Malevelant Creation, Devil to Pay, Indian, Anal Blast, Graves at Sea, Yeti, and Jacknife.

Not musical, but of note: Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Judd Nelson, Tom Arnold, and Ricky Rackman - all of those guys and the Lemmy and White Zombie all on the same night at the movie release party for Airheads at the Viper Room in LA. I saw Pauly Shore in LA standing in front of his club last year.

I've met a number of Motorcycle folks as well -- Billy Lane is probably the most famous of the bunch.

I've also met Ed Roman!

• Members

I've met a few "local guys" who live in the same area I do:

Carlos Santana

Neal Schon

Kirk Hammet

Also, a very long time ago I met Joe Walsh backstage after a James Gang concert, and once partied in a hotel room with three of the original Temptations after their show.

Although I didn't meet them in person, I've also done phone interviews for magazine articles with Ravi Shankar and Jon Anderson from Yes.

• Members

King Curtis

Tim Curry

Don Ameche

Craig Chaciquo (sp?)

Tim Weisberg

Roy Harper

Sting

Bob Geldof

Andy Summers

Dan McCafferty

Manfred Mann

Fee Waybill

Robert Vaughn

Ansel Adams

Michael Jackson

Randy California

Steve Stills

Bonnie Raitt

Jimmy Seals

Dash Crofts

James Redfield

The Bay City Rollers

Sherman Helmsley ("George Jefferson")

Roger Dean

• Members

Johnny Cash

Ken and Buzz (guitarists for Unearth)

Dimebag Darrell

Henson Cargill

Helen Gurley Brown

Brooke Shields

Aaron Tippin

Willie Nelson

David Alan Coe

Into Eternity (whole band)

Pat Lachman (sp?) from Damage Plan

That's all I can think of right now.

• Members

Lets see:

Thrice

Taking Back Sunday

Jimmy Eat World

Amber Pacific

Anberlin

Mae

Armor for Sleep

and I'm going to meet The Sleeping in a couple weeks, my friends band is playing with them. Not really big bands, but they were all cool guys.

• Members

Winners of thread thus far:

Curseoftruth- Lemmy

84LPcustom- Bo Diddley

guitarsjb- Johnny Cash

I've also worked in radio and for music columns in local papers and zines as well as in a ton of record stores, plus I used to book shows for a couple of small venues and was in some bands that opened for some pretty big names (at least in certain circles at the time), so I have a long list too. Alot of those work-related things involved backstage passes, the chance to interview some bands, etc.

• Members

Of all the great musicians I've met, I'd have to say that the most personable, down to earth ones, and the hence the one's I respect the most are (in no particular order):

John Hammond, John Jorgenson, Magic Slim, Big Bill Morganfield (Muddy's son), Bernard Allison, Delbert Mclinton, Paul Kantner, Charlie Musselwhite and Stephen O'rourke.

• Members

Drank moonshine with Merle Watson one time. Around our campfire at a bluegrass festival back around 1981-82. This would probably impress the acoustic forum guys more. But if you don't know, Merle was Doc Watson's son. Also a great guitarist and played with Doc for many years. Merle was tragically killed a few years later in a tractor roll-over on his farm.

• Members

1999, downtown St. Paul, Minnesota, approx. 5 p.m. After leaving work, I was standing on the sidewalk, waiting for the light to turn. Dave Grohl was standing next to me, wearing a green army surplus jacket and holding a dozen roses. I thought he was a delivery guy until I recognized him - very strange. The Foo Fighters were playing a show that night with Talk Show (the Scott Weiland-less version of Stone Temple Pilots... remember them?) I said I recognized him and we chatted for 2 or three blocks. Very polite and a cool guy.

• Members

Marianne Faithful. I made her coffee when she visited my roomate at our studio. she taklked about wanting to meet some cowboys and the new album she was working on, 'Strange Weather". my roomates girlfriend and Marianne met at Hazelden in our town. that;'s where fancy people do rehab.

she was really pleasant.

Yoko Ono. I work in a modern art museum. she was having a show and I spent the week with here setting thingas up. I didn't want to like her, but she was so cool and I was into what she was making. she is a really nice person. just don't talk about the Beatles.

I met Bjork too. just briefly. she likes her personal space.

oh, I almost forgot. I met the entire Jefferson Airplane way back in 1970. smoked herb with em too.

• Members

Spoke with Muhammad Ali, early one morning outside a hotel in San Francisco, sadly he was unable to speak even 10 years ago. Even though he could use no words, he smiled, nodded and slipped me a left jab in the arm. It was a huge moment for a 40 something who grew up watching all the great fights with he, Foreman, Frazier, Norton and all the rest.

Ironically enough I ran into Larry Holmes a year or so ago in the Las Vegas airport. Great guy and he even took some and chatted a moment but didn't hold a candle to Ali when it came to charisma points.

• Members

Coco Montoya at a local Blues Bar. Nice guy very down to earth

Ian Thomas (was moderately well known in Ontario in the 70's) took his kids to get ice cream (friends of mine were neighbours). His brother is Dave Thomas who is one of the MacKenzie brothers.

That's about it. Not much really. I don't hang out where celebs might be found

• Members

I met Lemmy from Motorhead in a bar just round the corner from a venue they were playing, I was stood at the bar waiting to be served, glanced to my left and he was just stood there with a pint!!

so I said "alright Lemmy" and ended up chatting for 20 mins. Sound Bloke is Lemmy.:thu:

Archived