My thumb is dumb. Can you use your thumb - for fretting?

GAS Man

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's a BIG hint: try using a vintage spec'd neck. I'm talking 1.625" nut and 7.25" radius. You'll be able to wrap your thumb around the whole thing.
:D

Just tried a bit of it with my Moostang. And yeah, the concept seems a bit more plausible with a more vintage neck.

• Members

No I do not use my thumb for fretting. It remains around the middle of the back of the neck. Occasionally though, I do use my thumb to mute a low E string that needs quieting, but that's the extent of my thumbage.

Yep, the way God and the baby Jesus intended it! :thu:;)

• Members

Exactly!
:thu:
Would Chet Atkins use his thumb for fretting? Not a chance!

Oh, and I have it on good word that all the harps in Heaven are to be played thumbless too. Just an FYI for those with season tickets.

Speaking of Chet, one of the last little ditties I learned is part of his song "Jam Man" that they've been abusing for insurance commercials lately. This one is fun.

I only got to the point that this site displays, but heck, that's all the commercials use and then some :D

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtdFPE.asp?ppn=mn0073732

• Members
Now see, you're all making me look like a wuss. No other thumb phails in the crowd? Come on, fess-up. Mediocrity loves company.
;)

I'm with you. GAS Man.

I can't do the thumb thing. It hurts and it doesn't work for me. I have small hands so maybe that's why. :idk:

But i do use it to mute the sixth string like Doc Morbius does.

• Members
Exactly!
:thu:
Would Chet Atkins use his thumb for fretting? Not a chance!

Oh, and I have it on good word that all the harps in Heaven are to be played thumbless too. Just an FYI for those with season tickets.

Au contraire, mes ami!

[video=youtube;n-c66SJPuUI]

Check about 13 seconds in.

Merle did it to!

• Members

I can't play lots of the thumb-over Hendrix stuff like Wind Cries Mary on my 50s-necked Gibsons - I can only play bar chords with the thumb up to about the 3rd fret - any higher than that I start pulling the strings out of tune. Absolutely fine to bar chords all the way up to the 8th fret on my Strat though.

But then again I can't fingerpick very well on my Strat - the Gibsons are more comfortable. Probably something to do with string-spacing at the bridge. That's why we have different guitars!

I almost never play proper bar chords (i.e. F and Bb) with the first finger across when I'm strumming an acoustic.

• Members

I use the thumb to mute the E (and A string when playing a D chord - yeah, it wraps that far), and also to play slash chords (D/F#) and partial barres (I tend to play 1x3211 for F chords allowing me to swap to a C shape more easily) .

Couldn't manage without it!

• Members

I do it all the time - the point where I almost NEVER play a "regular" major on minor barre chord. I like having that extra finger free, and you can do some interesting funky bits by alternating hand pressure between thumb on the bass note and fretted fingers, good for that choppy semi-muted stuff.

I do not have large hands and I play guitars with med/large necks. It's not a hand size thing. It's technique and muscle memory. I remember when power chords used to hurt my fingers when I was just starting as a kid. I got used to it, this will work the same way.

• Members

I recall a few months where my thumb sort of hurt and had to stretch out a bit.. the knuckle in the middle that folds in half.. that hurt a touch too.. my whole hand had to stretch out a bit.. and adjust.. then it just became a matter of co ordination.. and then after years.. it becomes second nature and you don't even think about it.

It's just nice to have that option.. a lot of things, you can fret either way. It's the sound that matters. It's nice to have the freedom and flexibility though, to use your thumb where required. It's also an important part of muting the strings for that (strum all 6 strings) SRV approach.

Archived