My thumb is dumb. Can you use your thumb - for fretting?

GAS Man

• Members

So I get out my Hendrix tab book last night :facepalm:

And there it is again, thumb fretting :cry:

[video=youtube;kE3FAY-NOiU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE3FAY-NOiU

I've been plunking on guitars now for near 30 years, but I've avoided thumb fretting because the feel just gives me the heebie jeebies. So I was trying again last night and I'm still total phail at it. It just seems so awkward and when I try it pulls the rest of my hand chording position out of position. '

It's so frustrating it reminds me of the anguish of just trying to learn chords like where I was at in the '80s.

It don't feel natural! :mad: Would Andres Segovia approve anyway? I don't know.

Thoughts? Advise. Your pain your gain? Or just forgettaboutit and play variations of his chords? I might as well just go and shoot my thumb down.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i use it all the time. Its pretty much a necessity playing brit rock. You'll get used to it. First few songs I learned were The Jimi and back then I didnt know you werent supposed to use so it always feel right for me.

I dont know who andrea segovia is but screw her and her techniqiue.

jimi>everyone else.

• Members

I hear ya. I can do the thumb fretting pretty well, and for some of his stuff it's necessary to do it just the same. You could always get a short scale thin neck like a mustang? or? to get close to what jimi's hands could cover on a 251/2 scale.

I have seen some players do really well w/o it though. You kinda have to decide how close you need to get.

Even players who can do the 6th string thumb fret pretty well cannot do 5th string thumbed notes/chords as jimi did!!!

• Members

Now see, you're all making me look like a wuss. No other thumb phails in the crowd? Come on, fess-up. Mediocrity loves company. ;)

I've just been too busy trying to break myself of the cowboy chord grip and get that thumb rotated back more towards center of the back of the neck, so the rotation of the hand up and around just feels awkward now.

But I'll keep plugging away at the chord structures for HJ and see if I can at least earn a bronze on this hurdle.

• Members

I hear ya. I can do the thumb fretting pretty well, and for some of his stuff it's necessary to do it just the same. You could always get a short scale thin neck like a mustang? or? to get close to what jimi's hands could cover on a 251/2 scale.

I have seen some players do really well w/o it though. You kinda have to decide how close you need to get.

Even players who can do the 6th string thumb fret pretty well cannot do
5th string
thumbed notes/chords as jimi did!!!

Thanks, I have some short scale gits in the house. I'll give that a try.

• Members

Now see, you're all making me look like a wuss. No other thumb phails in the crowd? Come on, fess-up. Mediocrity loves company.
;)

I've just been too busy trying to break myself of the cowboy chord grip and get that thumb rotated back more towards center of the back of the neck, so the rotation of the hand up and around just feels awkward now.

But I'll keep plugging away at the chord structures for HJ and see if I can at least earn a bronze on this hurdle.

I'm with you Gas Man. I rarely do it, never liked it and it never felt right. Maybe if I started playing that way 30 years ago when I was more flexible I might have learned but I didn't.

Makes some chords harder...so I just find another way to make it sound ...ok (rarely do I sound good anyways) or find another song to play :wave:

• Members

I can do it but I don't like to. It's very uncomfortable. My hands are too small. Same reason I can't/won't play a lot of van halen stuff. The long reaches he does are painful for me to play and are simply no fun. I play to enjoy myself and if what I'm playing becomes too much like work, I won't do it.

• Members

A couple Hendrix tunes where I learned to thumb it were,

Wind Cries Mary

Purple Haze

All Along the Watchtower

All these show the advantage of the thumb fretting by allowing your other digits to fret the top of the chord, yet still be able to add notes(usually with the 4th finger).

And btw, if you wanna see some amazing rhythm guitar, check out the tab for "Watchtower"!!!!! He changes it up all over the verses and don't forget he is singing at the same time! Clearly a genius!:love:

• Members

^^ Yeah, Jimi's command of the instrument was truly the most amazing thing about his playing. I know it sounds trite, but it's like most great players play the guitar, he became the guitar (as an extension of himself).

• Members

Now see, you're all making me look like a wuss. No other thumb phails in the crowd? Come on, fess-up. Mediocrity loves company.
;)

I've just been too busy trying to break myself of the cowboy chord grip and get that thumb rotated back more towards center of the back of the neck
, so the rotation of the hand up and around just feels awkward now.

there is no right and wrong, no should, no must.

do it however you feel comfortable. Some people can stretch further than others, some use their pinky, some don't.

Hendrix did what was comfotable to him bearing in mind his hand size.

Try other ways of getting the same notes and don't get fooled into thinking that you cannot do it any other way.

A lot of tabs are plain wrong when it comes to sorting out which finger on which string is the easy way to play stuff.

I got a tab for Steely Dans FM that said it is impossible to play the piano bass lines and the Em7 together on guitar. It isn't.

Fiddle round with Hendrix and see what you can do.

• Members

^^ Yeah, that was sort of a subtle aspect of my thread. I don't know whether I should work on retraining myself for thumb fretting, or just work on alternate fingerings that will at least get me close enough on the chords. Like on Hey Joe, they're mostly just basic chords but they're written to suggest avoiding any voicing of the A string. So as long as I barre the chord and lay off the A string, I'd be there for that song, I just wonder if I should start working on the technique. But I can see the advantage of developing the skill so as to free up the index finger.

Archived