My thumb is dumb. Can you use your thumb - for fretting?

GAS Man

• Members

Well this thread is old but if you want another thumb failure, I'm it. I have short fingers so even near the nut, I can barely touch my thumb to any of my other fingers when holding the neck. I also broke my thumb playing intramural football in college over 30 years ago and cannot bend the last joint very far, so I can sometimes and only with certain chords fret the low E string but for many Hendrix and SRV techniques, I can't even come close. Frustrating to love guitar so much but not be able to do certain techniques because of my stubby fingers, but I just work around best I can.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I can, but usually don't, doing a barre chord instead or just not playing that low E when chording. I find it easier on my strat than an LP, but I can pull it off on some of the fretboard of an acoustic. My hands are pretty much medium-sized. I had to practice it for a while before it was not totally awkward.

• Members

I have been also trying the thumb thing after several years of avoiding it. As others have said, it's almost necessary if you want to play certain riffs on certain great tunes. Most recently, when trying, I have been big fail, but I continue. I figure I am about 25% there after several weeks of not trying very hard.

• Members

Thumb is great not just for fretting but even just for muting.. whether it's blusey bends on the G or B (and muting the E or A string) or the funkish/blues strum all 6 strings and mute the 5 you don't want to hear approach. Proper muting technique really allows you to dig into the strings and strum a bended note, rather then "pick it". Not what you want all the time, but a good effect to have in the tool bag.

• Members

I dont even play bar chords with my index finger as I am so used to fretting with my thumb. Yes I am a Hendrix fanatic and when I was learning all my Hendrix songs when I was young it is the only way you can play them correctly. These days I use that rhythm style a lot with all the chord embelishments and the thumb is an essential part. Outside of that and using vibrato on wide bends 70% of the time my thumb is dead center of the neck. Like anything else it just takes time and getting used too, I see we are playing the same amount of decades and up until three years ago I could not pick with a closed hand and had to have my fingers fanned out. Well I made a serious effort to finally do it and after three months I lost the uncomfortable feeling and these days dont even think of it. So you can change things that you never thought you could=if you put the time and effort in.

Archived