Strat & Strat style owners - How many tremolo springs are you using?

BlueSky1963

• Members

My baritone Strat has 4 springs due to the extra string tension, but other than that 3 springs in a W pattern works well for me. I've found using more springs makes it difficult to finesse the trem and I like a responsive trem.

I setup all but a couple of Strats with floating trems and I like them to work effortlessly as I use them all the time for Surf. I don't do any dive bombs, just tasteful dips and vibrato so they all stay in tune fairly well.

-------- The REAL Doctor Morbius!

• Members

I never use the term, all 3 starts are blocked...5 springs, claw screwed so the bridge is flush to the body. Never had tuning problems, never looked back. I'm talking weeks of being in tune. Naturally I make sure it's precise when I'm jamming, but for my mim I never really use, I've had it in its case for like 3 weeks without touching it, take it out, and it's still in tune give or take a couple of cents.

• Members

Springs do not have the same spring tension. Fender spring I use 4. There pretty soft. I can load and unload them by hand easily.

GFS are a little harder and the springs on my Squier VM strat are close to twice the tension of a fender spring.

I use 3 and it's much stiffer than the 4 fender spring on my other strat.

Archived