Oct 2012 Great Deals Thread - *READTHIS>>> NoSpamAllowed <<READTHIS

Frets99

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow. That will be hard to resist!

This should help: you can get it for $199 w/no tax & free shipping from multiple places. Once you add tax and shipping to the $159, it's more like $185 for me, not a deal considering the lack of warranty and Hello's slow delivery...

• Members

This should help: you can get it for $199 w/no tax & free shipping from multiple places. Once you add tax and shipping to the $159, it's more like $185 for me, not a deal considering the lack of warranty and Hello's slow delivery...

Even though I posted the Hello link, your comments got me to thinking, and this is the result: MF has a used one for 159.99, and you MIGHT be able to get USEDGEAR10 to take off another 16.00. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/yamaha-thr5-modeling-combo-amp?condition=used Still. though, at 159.99 it will have almost free shipping and a warranty.

• Members

MF just gave out a 20% code to a lot of folks (me included). That makes the THR5 $159 plus I can get 4% more

thru fatwallet. I will pass on Hello Music.

Or you can try what worked for me - before I knew about the difference between the THR5 & THR10 -I thought the 5 was 5 watts and the 10 was 10 watts so I came across this Best Buy listing:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Yamaha+-+THR+10W+Combo+Amplifier/4172606.p?id=1218459189962&skuId=4172606&st=thr&cp=1&lp=3

Thinking it was the THR10 I submitted a price match with M123 for the THR10 and got one for $189 YMMV but worth a shot...

• Members

I have played a 5 watt amp at gigs in medium to smaller clubs without being mic'd up and I was told to to turn it down.

So if that was a serious question - the little 5w Defender would be really good for home use. I think you would need to mic it for any kind of a gig.

Back to the Aria - I have never played one, but I have to say the Customer Service was great. I got a quick reply by email on the floating trem question, and a full page reply on my tuning question. I was impressed with that.

• Members

I have played a 5 watt amp at gigs in medium to smaller clubs without being mic'd up and I was told to to turn it down.

A five-watt (tube) amp with a speaker rated at 100db efficiency will be exactly half as loud as a 50 watt amp, so they can get pretty loud! Of course, you'll sacrifice clean headroom, but baby, that's the bluze!!!!

• Members

I surprised there's not more excitement about this deal. The amp has a lot of good reviews, the street price used to be $500, and even at the current street price of $400, with Sweetwater's $299 minus the $100 rebate, it's a steal at $199. I didn't even bother to try to save any more by price matching; Sweetwater is a good company and I don't mind giving them an extra few bucks.

I don't need another amp, but at $199 for a decent quality amp, I can't say no. Heck, most of my pedals cost more than that. My two current amps are both blackface-flavored, so this will give me something different. Heck, worst case I'll mod the amp or build something entirely new in the chassis.

I hope it plays well with open-backed cabs, cause that's all I got.

• Members

I surprised there's not more excitement about this deal. The amp has a lot of good reviews, the street price used to be $500, and even at the current street price of $400, with Sweetwater's $299 minus the $100 rebate, it's a steal at $199. I didn't even bother to try to save any more by price matching; Sweetwater is a good company and I don't mind giving them an extra few bucks.

I don't need another amp, but at $199 for a decent quality amp, I can't say no. Heck, most of my pedals cost more than that. My two current amps are both blackface-flavored, so this will give me something different. Heck, worst case I'll mod the amp or build something entirely new in the chassis.

I hope it plays well with open-backed cabs, cause that's all I got.

It's a great deal but for me, no fx loop + no reverb = pretty much useless.

• Members

It's a great deal but for me, no fx loop + no reverb = pretty much useless.

I can understand since I almost always use reverb when playing clean. But when playing clean, I can use pedals. Only when playing dirty would I be missing the post-gain effects.

Part of it for me is actually experimenting with an amp without reverb or post-gain effects. So many classic amps lacked reverb and an effects loops but were still used on thousands of classic albums.

Worse case, I'll sell it at a break-even price.

• Members

Yamaha DG100 Digital Amps $249

Guitar Center Used (Warwick, RI)

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm

yamaha-dg100.gif

Amazing deal on a truly fantastic amp. Some of the best clean tones you will ever hear. Good up to about mid gain and takes pedals just fine. I honestly don't think any of the modern modelling amps even touches the tone of this thing. I would get it but it is too big for my needs.

• Members

Guitar Center Used (Warwick, RI)

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm

yamaha-dg100.gif

Amazing deal on a truly fantastic amp. Some of the best clean tones you will ever hear. Good up to about mid gain and takes pedals just fine. I honestly don't think any of the modern modelling amps even touches the tone of this thing. I would get it but it is too big for my needs.

If the cleans sound anything like the G100 unit from the 80s, I'd pick this up (if I didn't already have a G100 :) ).

• Members

If the cleans sound anything like the G100 unit from the 80s, I'd pick this up (if I didn't already have a G100
:)
).

I actually think they are better than the G100 (which is super nice). When I worked for MF, this was a our "go to" amp for demoing guitars. It sat between a Fender Twin and Mesa DC 5. The Yamaha won by a mile for everything but high gain.

• Members

I actually think they are better than the G100 (which is super nice). When I worked for MF, this was a our "go to" amp for demoing guitars. It sat between a Fender Twin and Mesa DC 5. The Yamaha won by a mile for everything but high gain.

If that GC used item ships free or cheap, I hate you. In the nicest possible way :)

• Members

Fender Lite Ash Telecaster Natural $399

Free shipping. No tax outside of New York.

http://altomusic.com/shop/Fender-Lite-Ash-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-in-Natural-Over-50--Savings-Retail-Price--839-99--Over-50--Savings-_pid115968.am

Seems like a good deal to me. I bit. I'm fairly certain these are old MIK models that were lying around. I hope mine's a player. It has the Seymour Duncan pickups, according to the Alto site, and it has the brass saddles. We'll see.

Archived