Any Ed Roman Love?

bjcarl

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Since we're talking Ed Roman, in his honor they should take a homeless guy and try to pass him off as Ed. I mean, that's what he tried to do with OLP Guitars that weren't Music Man guitars.

He was a kook, a crook, and a complete dick.

His removal from this Earth will be good for the music community as a whole.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Tele

View Post

wait, you mean Amish Mafia isnt an accurate portrayal of amish/menonite life?

Reminded me of that old joke ...

What goes "clipclopclipclopclipclop*bang*clipclopclipclopcli pclop"?

Answer: A drive-by shooting in an Amish neighborhood.

• Members

Ed was a character. And his slandering of American guitar companies-at least claiming that they imported {censored} and tried to pass them off as MIA made him a liar. Had he lived and the show actually made it to production, the production company would've had their asses sued the eff off.

What really cracks me up...wasn't he making and selling copies of famous custom shop guitars? And does anyone remember the controversy when he supposedly cut a Fender strat open and claimed it was plywood? I tried to find that one on his site today to no avail...

In any case, he'll always be good for a chuckle icon_lol.gif

• Members

I was good friends with Ed and bought and sold guitarswith him for years. He was a "larger then life" personality, I don't think anyone who knew him would argue that. He also was one of the first guys to specialize in boutique guitars and was one of the pioneers of the mail order catalog (ala MF, etc...).

He built great guitars and he was an amazing father and single parent. He adored his daughter and I don't think I ever spoke to him when he didn't talk about her with pride.

I find a lot (not all) of the people who tell stories about him never met the man or played any of his guitars. I know a the anti-Semites that hang out here that hate him, big surprise there.

If anyone watches American Restorations his store was on there recently. They restored an old Mosrite guitar for Rick Dale's son.

1-12.jpg

2-11.jpg

3-10.jpg

4-7.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BG76

View Post

I know a the anti-Semites that hang out here that hate him, big surprise there.

I've seen a lot of people bash Ed, but I've never seen anything that I could remotely construe as anti-semitic on HCEGconfused.gif

• Members

He was like the ultimate troll of the guitar world. He pissed a lot of people off. I have never met him, but what I have seen/heard/read I found him amusing and his rants against the mainstream somehow appealed to the anti-establishment in me. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl

View Post

I've seen a lot of people bash Ed, but I've never seen anything that I could remotely construe as anti-semitic on HCEGconfused.gif

See post number 35 above. Case and point. The fact that this type of trash is not only allowed but encouraged on here speaks volumes.

The Rossness, his daughter now owns the store and Scott is still the sales manager. If you have On Demand check out the recent episode of American Restorations about the son receiving a restored Mosrite guitar. They do a side trip to Wold Class Guitars.

As for the tired old internet myth that Ed was retoping OLP guitars (which would take more time and money then he would make) and selling them as Music Man anyone who is interested in seeing the real ad for what he was doing need only click on this link from the web archive. He was selling upgraded OLP guitars and was upfront about doing so.

http://web.archive.org/web/200502062...manmod_olp.htm

I will bow out of this thread now, as the regular gang of morons have all chimed in. Had Ed chosen to make $99 imported guitars and kissed a lot of ass online he would have been loved here, well, if he were not Jewish that is.

Stay classy HCEG.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check

View Post

edr0manfailpq1.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BG76

View Post

See post number 35 above. Case and point. The fact that this type of trash is not only allowed but encouraged on here speaks volumes.

So photoshopping Ed into a KKK robe would make someone anti-black? You, my friend are paranoid and looking for racism where none exists.

I'm wondering why his defenders never address his slandering of American guitar companies-that and his legendary treatment of his customers are the two things that make me enjoy laughing at the little troll(or gnome, if you prefer)icon_lol.gif

• Members

I did not know the man. I'm aware of the various threads here involving him but I never paid much attention to them. Therefore I don't know what is fact and what is not. I did not watch the embedded video.

I do know that I will never accept anything I see on the internet as truth or fact without investigating it.

I do know that I see some comments in this thread about Ed Roman being surly, dishonest, and slandering guitar companies. Perhaps that's true, but according to some post in the thread, perhaps not.

Ironic that these negative comments use surly, possibly slanderous, and abrasive phrases to demean him.

It certainly serves a purpose to inform folks about scams or other such things in order to help the community to thrive. Personally, I tend to give more credibility to those who provide facts or links to information and less to comments that are, in essence, schoolyard taunts.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk

View Post

I did not know the man. I'm aware of the various threads here involving him but I never paid much attention to them. Therefore I don't know what is fact and what is not. I did not watch the embedded video.

I do know that I will never accept anything I see on the internet as truth or fact without investigating it.

I do know that I see some comments in this thread about Ed Roman being surly, dishonest, and slandering guitar companies. Perhaps that's true, but according to some post in the thread, perhaps not.

Ironic that these negative comments use surly, possibly slanderous, and abrasive phrases to demean him.

It certainly serves a purpose to inform folks about scams or other such things in order to help the community to thrive. Personally, I tend to give more credibility to those who provide facts or links to information and less to comments that are, in essence, schoolyard taunts.

Meet me on the playground after lunch! icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Special J

View Post

Bought my first electric from ECMM in the late 80's. I always loved visiting his shop. He was no more slimy and opinionated than most music store owners I've met, and his staff no more surly than most. I know there were people who had bad dealings with him. I was sorry to hear of his passing. I definitely would have watched his show.

he was an asshat and his staff sucked you would wait in there for over 30 min for strings

glad that place closed and the retards that worked there.

barry lipman was the only cool guy in there

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk

View Post

I'm aware of the various threads here involving him but I never paid much attention to them. Therefore I don't know what is fact and what is not. I did not watch the embedded video.

Personally, I tend to give more credibility to those who provide facts or links to information and less to comments that are, in essence, schoolyard taunts.

You need to watch the video...part of the reason I posted it. If nothing else, skip to the last 2 minutes or so...here's a quote from the Grand Troll himself on the subject of the major Guitar manufacturers,

"Most of them are imported and then passed off as American-made."

• Members

View Post

You need to watch the video...part of the reason I posted it. If nothing else, skip to the last 2 minutes or so...here's a quote from the Grand Troll himself on the subject of the major Guitar manufacturers,

"Most of them are imported and then passed off as American-made."

Point taken and understood. I have no dog in this "fight". I think I'm more reacting to the flame comments i.e.,"yeah what an a$$wipe dou##bag" he was. I know it's what the internet has become more frequently in recent years. Hey, I use those terms myself but feel that they belong in certain settings (like the neighborhood bar :beer) rather than on a stage where the whole world is in on the conversation. I'm just a fool who yearns for a more dignified and informative discussion. After all, the guys dead. Could we be better spending our time?

Honestly I entered this thread just to do some rubbernecking at what I suspected would be a wreck without a thought of commenting. But I got sucked in by the evil interwebz icon_lol.gif All that said, this is what makes the world go round. No problems with peoples opinions or expression thereof (most of the time wink.gif)

• Members

View Post

So photoshopping Ed into a KKK robe would make someone anti-black? You, my friend are paranoid and looking for racism where none exists.

I'm wondering why his defenders never address his slandering of American guitar companies-that and his legendary treatment of his customers are the two things that make me enjoy laughing at the little troll(or gnome, if you prefer)icon_lol.gif

You really are a dim bulb, but I'll try to simplify it for you. Photoshopping a Jewish person who was the child of Holocaust survivors (Ed Roman) into a Nazi armband is so offensive that no sane person could possibly think otherwise.

I understand many people who never dealt with Ed or played his guitars don't like him because of polarizing statements he made and because of the stories (true and untrue) about him, and also because a lot of people go along with mob mentality (re: Nazi Germany, but I won't get into that here).

That being said, you may think Ed Roman was a snake oil salesman or a terrible person. You may have known the man and respected him for his products and his dedication to his family, or you may have known him and thought he was an a-hole that ripped you off.

That being said, I have absolutely no idea how anyone would consider a man like Ed a sympathizer of Adolf Hitler or any Nazi philosophy. Ed was many things and he certainly was outspoken but the great thing about Ed was that he put a lot of his ideas out there that sparked debate (for better or worse) about the guitar industry - which he was passionate about.

For example, some of us may remember when Ed cut open a Fender SRV signature guitar to prove that it was a laminate over a core - which was being sold as something it wasn't.

While it is your right to like or dislike the man (and it would be wrong to say Ed didn't like playing the villain sometimes) insinuating that a man who had a large number of his family murdered by Nazis is beyond sick.

I feel sorry for you that you do not understand.

I'm not going to debate what's racist, etc... but generally when you equate a Jewish person with the Nazis most sane people would find that offensive.

Archived