Any Ed Roman Love?

bjcarl

• Members

@ballhawk...I don't have a dog in this fight, either, per se...it's just that no name seems to elicit more of a reaction on HC than "Ed Roman".

I've read horror stories about how he and his staff treated people who came into their shop, but having had no personal experience with the man, I don't use those as any basis for my own opinion.

The videos I've seen of him, along with quotes from industry insiders and the man's own rants make me believe that he was a guy who based his entire career on copying the designs of others, and then slammed those manufacturers whose designs he ripped off:

http://www.edroman.com/rants.htm

I DO find it amusing that his head shop guy, who's been with him the longest, had only worked with him for like, 8 years when the video was made icon_lol.gif

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by BG76

View Post

You really are a dim bulb, but I'll try to simplify it for you. Photoshopping a Jewish person who was the child of Holocaust survivors (Ed Roman) into a Nazi armband is so offensive that no sane person could possibly think otherwise.

I understand many people who never dealt with Ed or played his guitars don't like him because of polarizing statements he made and because of the stories (true and untrue) about him, and also because a lot of people go along with mob mentality (re: Nazi Germany, but I won't get into that here).

That being said, you may think Ed Roman was a snake oil salesman or a terrible person. You may have known the man and respected him for his products and his dedication to his family, or you may have known him and thought he was an a-hole that ripped you off.

That being said, I have absolutely no idea how anyone would consider a man like Ed a sympathizer of Adolf Hitler or any Nazi philosophy. Ed was many things and he certainly was outspoken but the great thing about Ed was that he put a lot of his ideas out there that sparked debate (for better or worse) about the guitar industry - which he was passionate about.

For example, some of us may remember when Ed cut open a Fender SRV signature guitar to prove that it was a laminate over a core - which was being sold as something it wasn't.

While it is your right to like or dislike the man (and it would be wrong to say Ed didn't like playing the villain sometimes) insinuating that a man who had a large number of his family murdered by Nazis is beyond sick.

I feel sorry for you that you do not understand.

I had no idea Ed was Jewish...I don't think anyone here really cares. And for the record, branding someone a racist is usually the last gasp of a weak argument. See my post above...Ed made a career out of copying other people's labor and then slandering others-probably out of jealously or low self-esteem.

As for the Fender, I remember that quite well...it's a great example of how Ed brought the {censored}storm of negative opinions down upon himself...I remember him being forced to take that down off of his site under threat of a lawsuit by Fender. Basically, his argument was so weak(like most arguments he made) that it didn't hold water.

In short, lighten up, Francis.

edit: how do you "insinuate" someone? icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl

View Post

I had no idea Ed was Jewish...I don't think anyone here really cares. And for the record, branding someone a racist is usually the last gasp of a weak argument. See my post above...Ed made a career out of copying other people's labor and then slandering others-probably out of jealously or low self-esteem.

As for the Fender, I remember that quite well...it's a great example of how Ed brought the {censored}storm of negative opinions down upon himself...I remember him being forced to take that down off of his site under threat of a lawsuit by Fender. Basically, his argument was so weak(like most arguments he made) that it didn't hold water.

In short, lighten up, Francis.

edit: how do you "insinuate" someone? icon_lol.gif

Really? I remember Fender actually started making the SRV guitars the way they were advertising them. I sure don't remember them threatening to sue Ed for pointing out they were selling a laminate guitar. In fact, Fender actually started making the guitar the way they claimed they were.

Fender claimed the SRV had an alder body. Ed Roman did not believe it. Because of the heavy dark spraying around the edges of the guitar, he cut into one revealing it had an alder veneer over poplar wood. Fender was exposed on his website. Fender later started using solid alder.

• Members

I guess it would be an understatement to say he was a polarizing figure? Anyway -- never had dealings with him so can't say much about his character, but I found his webpage to be WAY more entertaining than almost any other guitar webpage. Interestingly, I never knew he was a "landsman" and I'm Jewish, so I'm surprised that the antisemitism thing is creeping into this conversation. Perhaps if there were such intimations in posts they were at a dog-whistle frequency beyond my range...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DarthElvis

View Post

Didn't you know that if you dislike someone and they happen to be Jewish, that makes you an anti-semite?facepalm.gifrolleyes.gif

Yep...just like a white guy calling a black guy an asshole.

Asshole is code for the N-word, shhhhh...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bsman

View Post

I guess it would be an understatement to say he was a polarizing figure? Anyway -- never had dealings with him so can't say much about his character, but I found his webpage to be WAY more entertaining than almost any other guitar webpage. Interestingly, I never knew he was a "landsman" and I'm Jewish, so I'm surprised that the antisemitism thing is creeping into this conversation. Perhaps if there were such intimations in posts they were at a dog-whistle frequency beyond my range...

I'll be sure never to disagree with you, bsman biggrin.gif

and for the record, I'll always have love for ya, if for no other reason than you sig'ing one of the coolest quotes EVER in the history of the worldthumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BG76

View Post

Really? I remember Fender actually started making the SRV guitars the way they were advertising them. I sure don't remember them threatening to sue Ed for pointing out they were selling a laminate guitar. In fact, Fender actually started making the guitar the way they claimed they were.

Fender claimed the SRV had an alder body. Ed Roman did not believe it. Because of the heavy dark spraying around the edges of the guitar, he cut into one revealing it had an alder veneer over poplar wood. Fender was exposed on his website. Fender later started using solid alder.

Yep, really. Ed was threatened by Fender with a lawsuit...the stunt was BS, like most of the stuff that came out of Ed's mouth. Ask Paul Reed Smith about Ed Roman sometime smile.gif

• Members

View Post

and for the record, I'll always have love for ya, if for no other reason than you sig'ing one of the coolest quotes EVER in the history of the worldthumb.gif

And you, sir, have sig'ed a quote from perhaps the coolest reviewer of Randy Rhodes guitars ever. thumb.gif

• Members

I lived in Vegas for a bit and experienced Ed both at the shop and his 'compound' on Blue Diamond Road (am I passing the 'actually met him' test yet?) and found him to be a loud, dishonest, unintelligent person who tried to bully those he perceived to be beneath him on some high-school style hierarchy, while thoroughly and deeply rimming those he thought 'important.'

Frankly, he was not that unusual as a slimebag compared to most tour managers, major label royalty accountants, etc. what set him apart was his quasi retarded insistence on being considered a font of truth, and his bizarre "rules" for his sales floor.

What a true tool! And the 'compound' was saddest of all, a collection of really nice gear, a sweet pair of Harleys the time I was there, and furniture that didn't make the cut for Target.

It could have been considered charming, until you talked to the people who were dumb enough to give him money for ... Something.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Danhedonia

View Post

I lived in Vegas for a bit and experienced Ed both at the shop and his 'compound' on Blue Diamond Road (am I passing the 'actually met him' test yet?) and found him to be a loud, dishonest, unintelligent person who tried to bully those he perceived to be beneath him on some high-school style hierarchy, while thoroughly and deeply rimming those he thought 'important.'

Frankly, he was not that unusual as a slimebag compared to most tour managers, major label royalty accountants, etc. what set him apart was his quasi retarded insistence on being considered a font of truth, and his bizarre "rules" for his sales floor.

What a true tool! And the 'compound' was saddest of all, a collection of really nice gear, a sweet pair of Harleys the time I was there, and furniture that didn't make the cut for Target.

It could have been considered charming, until you talked to the people who were dumb enough to give him money for ... Something.

So you are THAT intimately acquainted with "most" tour managers and major label royalty? You must have had an interesting career. I'd love to hear details about it. wave.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Danhedonia

View Post

Why don't you level with us and tell us why you really don't like Jewish people? biggrin.gif

• Members

View Post

Yep...just like a white guy calling a black guy an asshole.

Asshole is code for the N-word, shhhhh...

oh please, give me a break. Seems like nothing is ever racist for white people anymore. It's always everyone else being "too politically correct" or "to sensitive". Never the responsibility of the person saying the words. In fact the only racism that seems to exist in white america these days is reverse racism.....lol.

I've even seen white people on line making excuses for what Michael Richards said/did as if it was everyone else being "too sensitive". The white "backlash" using statements like "PC" is just a pathetic attempt to excuse their own ignorance.

Note: this is a response to your implication about broader society; not one based on the specific content in this thread: re jews.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soundcreation

View Post

oh please, give me a break. Seems like nothing is ever racist for white people anymore. It's always everyone else being "too politically correct" or "to sensitive". Never the responsibility of the person saying the words. In fact the only racism that seems to exist in white america these days is reverse racism.....lol.

I've even seen white people on line making excuses for what Michael Richards said/did as if it was everyone else being "too sensitive". The white "backlash" using statements like "PC" is just a pathetic attempt to excuse their own ignorance.

Note: this is a response to your implication about broader society; not one based on the specific content in this thread: re jews.

I think Michael Richards is an asshole for his complete breakdown of a rant. Whether he's a racist or not, I'm not sure, but he has only himself to blame for being labled as such. Does that mean I'm anti-white? I don't get what you're saying here...

The dumbass I was mocking by that post was suggesting that anyone on the forum bashing Ed Roman was an anti-semite...I was simply making fun of his paranoia...throwing around unfounded accusations of racism is almost as ugly as actual racism...and a very weak way to try to win or end an argument.

For the record...there's all kinds of racism in society, but very little, if any of it here in HCEG...

• Members

View Post

I think Michael Richards is an asshole for his complete breakdown of a rant. Whether he's a racist or not, I'm not sure, but he has only himself to blame for being labled as such. Does that mean I'm anti-white? I don't get what you're saying here...

The dumbass I was mocking by that post was suggesting that anyone on the forum bashing Ed Roman was an anti-semite...I was simply making fun of his paranoia...throwing around unfounded accusations of racism is almost as ugly as actual racism...and a very weak way to try to win or end an argument.

For the record...there's all kinds of racism in society, but very little, if any of it here in HCEG...

The fact you could say "you're not sure" if MR is a racist says a lot. As Chris Rock said so eloquently (referring to the MR's situation) "What do you got to do to be a racist these days.....shoot Medgar Evers?!?"

And I think what I'm saying is pretty clear. White people seem to go out of their way to excuse racist comments. They come up with all kinds of amazing justifications explain why something said wasn't racist and it's just everyone else's "sensitivity" or being too "PC". Not sure how to explain it to you anymore clearly. If that is confusing then I fear that just shows how deeply embedded denial of racism really is.

As I was saying...I wasn't referring to the jewish thing in this thread but the implication suggested in your post I quoted, was that perceived racism is other people's "sensitivity" and never someone actually being an ignorant asshole.

And throwing the word racism out is NOT a weak way to win an argument if the person IS being a racist. I happen to think that Photoshopping a picture of a guy into a nazi theme is pretty tasteless. Racist? I don't know. Let's just say I'll keep my eye out on that poster from here on in.

And as for racism not existing here on HCEG I completely disagree.

I can't count how many times I've had to call out people here for throwing around a well known racist term like "Jap".

And EVERY single time what ends up happening?...lol...yep...

"your just being too PC soundcreation"...."stop being so sensitive soundcreation"....."it's just an abbreviation soundcreation" (yeah like "spic" is an abbreviation for Hispanic, yet would anyone throw that one around?)..... "It depends on the context soundcreation,"....and my personal favorite...."well I know japanese people and they don't care soundcreation"....

LOL..

And what do ALL of these have in common? They ALL shift blame and responsibility to the target of the racist statement. In short they are all pathetic excuses for not being able to control what comes out of one's mouth. Blame the victim instead of personal accountability.

• Members

There seem to be three kinds of people in the world. First, people, like me and soundcreation, who think racism is wrong. Second, there are the people who are unabashedly racist and have the balls to admit it. And third, there are the people who are racist, but know its not considered socially acceptable, so they hide it...until it comes out in an angry or drunken rant...or a comment on a guitar forum.

As much as I dislike the second group, the third group is arguably more despicable.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by aenemated

View Post

having dealt with that rotten sonofabitch and that {censored}ty store he ran in vegas, i'm glad the fat bastard is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by aenemated

View Post

what about fattist?

because fat people really annoy me. eat a {censored}in salad once in a while, ffs.

LOL...Do I see a connection here??? wink.gif

• Members

pesky & soundcreation:

I have no tolerence for bigotry or falsely accusing someone of bigotry. I can appreciate a lot of the points you've made, but for me, I'm no racist and I'm comfortable with that. I do think there's often a distinction between racism and ignorance, however. In any case, you're correct...calling someone a racist when it's warranted is entirely appropriate.

Aenemated: Thanks for injecting some levity back in the thread. Good to see you wave.gif

Archived