Any Ed Roman Love?

bjcarl

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by noah76

View Post

I'll just say this and thats that. I found his web site before I heard anything about him the good,crazy,bad. I called him asked about guitar X . Told him right away I'm not buying today. Well I guess I got him on a good day because we talked about everything from music/movies/gear and he even knew the area I live in for about an hour. His friend lived a few blocks from me. I know he wasn't BSing me. The road was not on the map at that time.

I do know something was going on with OLP and EBMM. The lawsuit and the removal of everything EBMM on his website.And something was going on with Fender and the SRV guitars. I really wish I had 100% facts on what was going on with both.

he refinished olp's, and sold them as music mans, and then he made an srv copy, and cut it open claiming it was a fender.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soundcreation

View Post

Since some of this is obviously directed at me...

My comments re race had nothing to do with defending Ed Roman. In fact, aside from my first post, simply stating I agreed with a few of the things ER said on his rant pages, I never gave my opinion on his character at all. You trying to equate my comments on racism (specifically the japanese issue) with ER is nothing more than a straw man.

If Ed Roman made disparaging remarks about Japanese people or culture then that would certainly affect my opinion of him in the negative. Based on what you've said though, I can't conclude that as I have no idea what "japaneze" even means... Is that suppose to be insulting?

As for your second point, I think you might be reading just a little bit too literal if you think that I or Pesky would actually believe there is no gray area in human behavior. Granted, the intellectual level demonstrated on line can lead one to believe people really are that stupid, but I would think the quality of the points made by both of us through are discussion would go a long way to showing we were capable of more depth than that. (besides; "three distinct groups" by it's very nature means it can NOT be black and white, as black and white means two distinct groups...so your premise is illogical anyway. A nice example of literal thinking on my part too...poke.gif)

As for your last point (quoted by me)....I hope you're right. In a way religion should be easier...education and logic can deal with that.

I had to go back to see who said what. My first point above was directed at BG76 and HIS indignance on the racism issue and HIS defense of Ed Roman who is despised for his brash behavior and business practices NOT his religion. I KNOW reading this thread that I'm not the only one who never considered for a moment Ed Roman's religious affiliations prior to today. So The JAPANEZE thing and your "jap" references are complete coincidence. I remember seeing his rants where he typed JAPANEZE in all caps to emphasize the word (icon_lol.gif I do that too). To purposely misspell the word shows some level of disrespect, so take it for what it's worth.

As for the categorization of people I know I am not racist. However, I am a little prejudiced of people from certain cultures. I don't hold it against them, because people don't get to pick where they are born. I also don't conclude that Ed Roman is racist solely because of his words. I even think its possible that Michael Richards isn't actually a racist in spite of that fateful night. If that makes me a liberal secret racist (i.e. a member of that "despicable" 3rd group), that's YOUR problem not mine. Then again, perhaps you and pesky are capable is seeing the gray in the topic. The bottom line is I failed (apparently) to point out the irony of arguing against racism by categoring people into groups. Should people from the groups wear a certain patch on their arm? poke.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by peskypesky

View Post

There's a big, crucial difference. A person can take measures to control their weight. Not much you can do about your race, unless you go the Michael Jackson route, and look how that worked out for him.

woah hold on there

the lobby for gravity-challenged people would say they cannot, its genetic, predisposed from DNA, a virus or many other reasons beyomd their control.

Nothing at all to do with years of grazing on handheld food 24/7 while avoiding caloric expenditure.

In UKyou cannot call fat people fat, however fat they are

you have to call them big people, as if everyone else were hobbits.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor49

View Post

lolwut? freak.gif that's the first time I ever heard of this. As far as I know fat people here are called either ...fat or obese. Either you're talking rubbish or you're...talking rubbish facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by axegrinder

View Post

I also don't conclude that Ed Roman is racist solely because of his words. I even think its possible that Michael Richards isn't actually a racist in spite of that fateful night.

That's where I would disagree with you. People who say racist things are racist. In a public forum words ARE actions. Not being able to control what comes out of one's mouth or what one types is no excuse.

Having said that I wouldn't say that your opinion about that makes you a racist. Only that you might be in denial about the depth of racism that does exist in America.

And finally, categorizing people by behavior is not the same as categorizing people by race. Seems to me that people like the KKK and neo nazi's already choose to wear patches on their arms for easy identification. Not too bright that lot. As for the rest...like Michael Richards eventually they expose themselves for what they really are.

• Members

View Post

That's where I would disagree with you. People who say racist things are racist. In a public forum words ARE actions. Not being able to control what comes out of one's mouth or what one types is no excuse.

Having said that I wouldn't say that your opinion about that makes you a racist. Only that you might be in denial about the depth of racism that does exist in America.

And finally, categorizing people by behavior is not the same as categorizing people by race. Seems to me that people like the KKK and neo nazi's already choose to wear patches on their arms for easy identification. Not too bright that lot. As for the rest...like Michael Richards eventually they expose themselves for what they really are.

I am not defending Richards. He {censored}ed up big time. I also am not in denial about the depths of racism. 5 minutes reading comments on yahoo news story sums it up painfully. My point is unless you really know Richards, how can you really know what he feels? People don't always say what they feel. I've seen that video and its clear he was being mistreated before he went off. Couldn't he have just used whatever below the belt language. When you're pissed off you can say hateful things to anyone. When my wife gets really pissed off she suddenly gets her mom's Vietnamese accent. icon_lol.gif My point is you don't always control yourself when you're mad. Again not apologising for MR, just not ready to lynch him for the tirade. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AJ6stringsting

View Post

Ed was a real nice guy to me. He treated me real well even though I had no money on me at that moment. We talked about tone woods, pick ups and how the the guitar building industry likes to scam people for their sales targets. He was too honest about his passions about making guitars and satisfying his costumers many misconstrued his passions about guitars for arrogance. He was really a great guy thumb.gif

Rest in Peace Ed !!!!

This is what I suspected about Ed, though never met him.

Society gave Socrates the Hemlock, Society threw Jesus up on the cross...why? Because we live in a world of lemmings and {censored}ups that don't want to hear the truth.

So when Ed shows you in power point graphic clarity why a Les Paul or Fender is a big hunk of {censored}, that pisses people off. It also pisses people off that he stopped those at the door that looked like your typical musician that woke up from behind a dumpster, but now wants to start dragging $5k dollar guitars off the wall he has no intention of buying.

Ed's crime was not having an edit button, and I feel for guys like that because society throws them to the wolves because society can't can't handle the truth, nor a guy that doesn't pander to the herd, nor needs buddies and pals to help them get through the day.

That said, given his reputation of no bull{censored}, as a no bull{censored}ter, I was prepared to walk into his shop for one purpose...to see his best stuff...not the joke/theme guitars, not the vintage stuff...but the players, and would have loved to find out if he really had something in the back room that was really grail.

• Members

I want to make something very clear. Ed was disliked by many NOT for being a loudmouth or "not having an edit button" (note- what is an 'edit button?'), but because he made people feel bad, and was dishonest.

Before you go fantasizing that this tool was some sort of martyr, take a half hour to find stories of people who were swindled by him.

Trolling from the grave, indeed. Easy Ed was quite the talent.

• Members

View Post

lol, I'm British and this is not true. Who told you that?

If it was decided that it was too un-pc to call fat people fat, then I'll use the term Foodmonster

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by danswon

View Post

lol, I'm British and this is not true. Who told you that?

If it was decided that it was too un-pc to call fat people fat, then I'll use the term Foodmonster

I am also British.

Watch any documentary about weight surgery or similar.

Especially the Stomach bypass guys.

All their clients say they are big.

• Members

Alright, let's take a different tack. No bull{censored}, just the truth.

Everyone who has an opinion of Ed, has to be able to play guitar, set up a guitar, has some idea on guitar builds, actually have had nice guitars in their hand, actually own some nice guitars.

Now, how many people 'qualify' under those rules to actually be able to say more then 'he made me feel like {censored}, because you know, he wouldn't let me in the store, because you know, I am broke, because you know, I just want to bang up nice guitars for fun'.

Maybe he was an asshole, maybe people didn't think he was friendly.....but so is that heart doctor you don't like that might save your life and he's tired of dealing with {censored}ups...so is that lead guitar player who shreds all day, and sick of bass players and drummers that don't practice and say 'he's too serious'..'he doesn't want to have fun'...

In this conversation I am reminded of one immutable fact......if you go to Ed's Website, there is guitar build knowledge there that is pretty irrefutable, so I know that pisses off the herd that doesn't want to hear the truth....there is also his builds that by all standards are pretty decent....there are also the real players that bought his stuff when off the rack production crap wasn't going to get it done.....now what do his haters have to say about that?

'well um, you know, I had a friend of a friend that bought a guitar, and you know, the bong fell on it, and the bong water, got into the pickups...Ed wouldn't replace the pickups...{censored}er'

• Members

View Post

I am also British.

Watch any documentary about weight surgery or similar.

Especially the Stomach bypass guys.

All their clients say they are big.

You're saying fat people refer to themselves as "big"? Well duh, of course they do. Creatures of habitual self-ruin rarely admit to their own problems.

I'm not sure what a stomach bypass is exactly.

What's wrong with eating a bit less and doing a bit more exercise?

ps. I have no Idea who Ed Roman is.

• Members

View Post

People who say racist things are racist.

Is that so? Well, I'd like to meet the guy who deemed you the head of the "who's racist" committee and have him disbarred. I've heard some of the kindest people occasionally make racist jokes and misguided remarks, but I'd never call them racist. People who give minorities jobs during times of economic turmoil, never use racist terminology, and aren't afraid to shake their hand are not racist.

You don't know racist until you meet a white man so insecure that he can't stand to be in the same room as a black man, or someone who believes Jews are the devil.

You make {censored}-eating pigs look smart.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Abene

View Post

Have Nazis been mentioned on this thread yet???

Never mind... I see that Godwin's Law was fulfilled earlier in the thread

Quote Originally Posted by BG76

View Post

That being said, I have absolutely no idea how anyone would consider a man like Ed a sympathizer of Adolf Hitler or any Nazi philosophy. Ed was many things and he certainly was outspoken but the great thing about Ed was that he put a lot of his ideas out there that sparked debate (for better or worse) about the guitar industry - which he was passionate about.

Archived