Fender Excelsior

SrMeowMeow

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The spec's are strikingly similar to the '61 Princeton but with some mixing and matching. For example the original Princeton had a tone switch similar to the Excelsior, while the Excelsior's SS rectifier and optical trem are changes I'd guess are driven by cost considerations.

• Members

The spec's are strikingly similar to the '61 Princeton but with some mixing and matching. For example the original Princeton had a tone switch similar to the Excelsior, while the Excelsior's SS rectifier and optical trem are changes I'd guess are driven by cost considerations.

thanks

• Members

The Fender demo-dude stated the amp was designed to a price-point from the beginning - which is the way it should be done.

IIRC the cabinet is MDF, there is no tone pot and you could probably find a better speaker.

There is very little to these types of circuits. From an electronics POV there should not have been a lot of costs involved. It's one of the oldest circuits around, so not a lot of R&D to amortize. The parts count should be minimal and modern manufacturing will produce a populated board that's as good as any other for pennies.

They "cut corners" on the tone stack - tone control is via a switch that puts a capacitor in the circuit. Easy enough to change the switch to a pot and play with different cap values to get the tone you want if you don't like it stock.

I'm impressed with how knowledgeable you are about such matters.

• Members

I'd seen threads before namm with a lot of you expressing interest in these. Me too. So I made a point to get as much pertinent info as I could to pass along. It's a thankless job, but someone's gotta do it!

The Fender reps were great, taking the time to answer my questions like "is it mdf or ply" while a line formed behind me.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

still want...i heard they are shipping april 18?

I recently got rid of all my pedals so ive been playing clean through a twin reverb and its killing me! I need some dirt.

I just visited MF's site, and they have revised the expected shipping date to 7/16.

Archived