Fender Excelsior

SrMeowMeow

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It doesn't have reverb for two reasons. First, it would drive up the cost considerably to add tube-driven spring reverb and it would complicate the circuit. The amp seems to be going from a Tweed or maybe a Brown era vibe, taking a more Deco visual cue.

I think it's gonna be awesome for the price and I already have three reverb pedals ready to try with it. :thu:

• Members

{censored}, I see the greta for 199. That is a cheap tube amp for listening to music. I'll hook that bitch up to a record player.

That seems to be as much a target market as guitarists. Maybe these things will show up in Urban Outfitters.

• Members

That seems to be as much a target market as guitarists. Maybe these things will show up in Urban Outfitters.

The Fender demo-dude described the Greta as a really pissed-off Champ, and I'd say that's a fitting description after hearing him. It's designed for the office-type who wants an amp to noodle on without bothering colleagues or someone at home who needs something "wife-friendly". It has a pre-amp out so you can drive a larger power amp as well as some speaker outputs for more volume.

It's a pretty snotty sounding little thing - in a good way - so I'm not sure it'd be any good for providing clean volume for iPods and the like.

• Members

Anyone else annoyed by the slats across the front of the speaker on the Excelsior? I like playing around with different microphone positions/angles, and it seems like those slats would somewhat limit your options. Maybe not, but I just prefer my speakers "commando."

• Members

Anyone else annoyed by the slats across the front of the speaker on the Excelsior? I like playing around with different microphone positions/angles, and it seems like those slats would somewhat limit your options. Maybe not, but I just prefer my speakers "commando."

yes...just looks odd. I dont care about no reverb, I want this amp.

amp1.jpg

• Members

Wow, no one has played one yet, and in the course of a few dozen posts we've gone from the anticipation of absolute sonic perfection to the inevitable realization of obvious limitations.

To me, it's an amp that seems to have a great deal of potential, so I'll remain excited (with realistic expectations) until--and hopefully after--I get a chance to actually play one.

• Members

I can see the potential for them to be sold off by people who expect too much, but I think a lot of people can see them realistically for what they are. A simple, good sounding tube amp that looks classy and nails a specific sort of tone at an affordable price. Does it have an effects loop, or any other fancy stuff? No. Putting anything like that on there would completely miss the point of what they're going for.

Personally, I want one if only for recording clean stuff in a studio setting. Though that grungy, low-fi sort of growl it has going on in those demos could be cool for some darker country or something...

• Members

exactly...right now Im using my twin reverb in my bedroom cuz my practice amp crapped out. Its just for home use, fartin' around maybe recording some shits and giggles. :idk:

I can see the potential for them to be sold off by people who expect too much, but I think a lot of people can see them realistically for what they are. A simple, good sounding tube amp that looks classy and nails a specific sort of tone at an affordable price. Does it have an effects loop, or any other fancy stuff? No. Putting anything like that on there would completely miss the point of what they're going for.

Personally, I want one if only for recording clean stuff in a studio setting. Though that grungy, low-fi sort of growl it has going on in those demos could be cool for some darker country or something...

Archived