Fender Excelsior

SrMeowMeow

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm more interested in the Greta if the price is right. Lol. Yeah it's a silvertone clone, if they were going to clone something good and odd and old I would have gone Bogen not sears. TO the right kid in Texas though that thing is probably perfect and I'm interested in if it gets modded.

• Members

Actually, the Greta interests me as well. As long as my music room is being occupied by my out-of-work son, I'm sort of relegated to wherever. I have the gear in the living room, but it disturbs people, so I'm thinking an amp that sits on my dresser would be nice. I had been thinking of a small battery-powered amp (e.g. Pignose, Vox Mini3, Fender Mustang Mini, etc.) but this amp interests me as well, especially since it has that cool old-radio vibe to it...

• Members

Actually, the Greta interests me as well. As long as my music room is being occupied by my out-of-work son, I'm sort of relegated to wherever. I have the gear in the living room, but it disturbs people, so I'm thinking an amp that sits on my dresser would be nice. I had been thinking of a small battery-powered amp (e.g. Pignose, Vox Mini3, Fender Mustang Mini, etc.) but this amp interests me as well, especially since it has that cool old-radio vibe to it...

That's about right. It's a low-powered class A tube amp in a designer package. The 12AX7 preamp section is pretty much like any other with volume/tone that breaks up early. The 12AT7 power amp keeps the back-end clean and power down so it works in environments where volume is an issue. You can take the line out [so you still get your tube preamp distortion] into a SS amp, small mixer, etc., with a headphone jack for silent playing. The 4" speaker also tames the volume, but you can run an extension speaker for bigger sound, or use the line out to push a bigger power amp.

And it has an Aux In so you can mix in iPods, etc.

• Members

Damn son, that's a better product description that the Fender reps. You must be an industry guy?

into a SS amp, small mixer, etc., with a headphone jack for silent playing. The 4" speaker also tames the volume, but you can run an extension speaker for bigger sound, or use the line out to push a bigger power amp.

And it has an Aux In so you can mix in iPods, etc.

• Members

For nearly the same price you can get a Bumbox Origin which is loosely based on the Silvertone, but is hand wired in in the USA, sports a custom made solid pine box, tremolo and an Eminence Legend.

Where? The only thing I can find is a site for B

• Members

Where could I get this?

Why he (Nate Burks) hasn't updated his website, I don't know. He no longer makes/sells the Lead 1 and now offers the Origin and a Class AB amp.

Regardless, you can email him at bumbox@bumboxamps.com for more information.

I found the Origin on YouTube and liked the idea of it so much that I ordered it. Old school charm and tone in a brand new (and warrantied) package. It's awesome.

"The Origin is inspired by the old bargain bin amps, especially Airlines and Silvertones with the nice bias wiggle trem and low voltages. I've taken the basic architecture from those amps, added reverb and put it all in a 1-12 combo that is less than 20lbs. Cabinet by Aaron from Lowel Guitars in Findlay, OH."

• Members

"The Origin is inspired by the old bargain bin amps, especially Airlines and Silvertones with the nice bias wiggle trem and low voltages. I've taken the basic architecture from those amps, added reverb and put it all in a 1-12 combo that is less than 20lbs. Cabinet by Aaron from Lowel Guitars in Findlay, OH."

Seems pretty cool. I wish we had some high quality pics of the amp. I wanna see the knobs & controls on the top of this thing. The wooden box part of this is attractive and it's nicely lightweight, somehow.

• Members

Me too! Btw...comparing the Excelsior to a Silvertone 1482 isn't a bad thing-the old Silvertone tube amps kick all kinds of ass...

They do but a few more tonal controls wouldn't hurt anything. I hate amps without preamp and volume too. I was not impressed with the excelsiors tones, very texas, which is cool, but I want a greta, lol.

(not to mention you can get a real silvertone cheaper, but who likes cap jobs?)

• Members

The 15" in this is a big selling point for me. I'm not a mathematician but $258 is about half of $500 not "nearly the same price" by my calculations.

I agree the 15" piqued my interest, too. And, as far as the price, I didn't realize the Excelsior was so cheap. Although, $500 for a hand wired amp with top notch components, lifetime warranty (well... as long as the builder's life) is also inexpensive -- shipping included.

Pictures:

The control panel is austere to say the least, which is odd because the Lead 1 looks factory manufactured as opposed to hand fabricated; however, the Origin is what it is: simple looking and awesome sounding. JJ tubes, too.

PA080296.jpg

Guts.

PA080307.jpg

Hand-scrawled schematics included.

PA080292.jpg

The handle in the video looks like a wood block, but the one I got is a nice/typical leather strap.

PA080284.jpg

12" Eminence Legend (maybe a 15" is optional :idk:).

PA080287.jpg

Foot switch for the tremolo.

PA080278.jpg

• Members

Does anyone else think that the Excelsior would be a
very
good match for a baritone guitar? The 15" speaker, nice clear bassy tone and the tremolo...

One of the first things that crossed my mind was "This could be great with my 8 string." Hopefully a little more clarity on the low F# than what I'm getting out of 12" speakers.

• Members

The reason for the lack of reverb is because the type/era of amps the Excelsior references (mid 1950's accordion amps) mostly didn't have reverb. My '55 Flot-A-Tone Model 600 1x15 is excellent for old school country or (dependent on volume setting) blues with a Tele and for baritone sounds (esp. w/ the trem). I'm dying to try the Excelsior too. The only thing that bugs me is the pricing. You just know they had to cut corners making it. I'm curious as to how that will play out over time.

• Members

The only thing that bugs me is the pricing. You just know they had to cut corners making it. I'm curious as to how that will play out over time.

The Fender demo-dude stated the amp was designed to a price-point from the beginning - which is the way it should be done.

IIRC the cabinet is MDF, there is no tone pot and you could probably find a better speaker.

There is very little to these types of circuits. From an electronics POV there should not have been a lot of costs involved. It's one of the oldest circuits around, so not a lot of R&D to amortize. The parts count should be minimal and modern manufacturing will produce a populated board that's as good as any other for pennies.

They "cut corners" on the tone stack - tone control is via a switch that puts a capacitor in the circuit. Easy enough to change the switch to a pot and play with different cap values to get the tone you want if you don't like it stock.

Archived