Fender Excelsior

SrMeowMeow

• Members

^^^Yeah, that Cobalt Blue is a wise man. :-)

I shouldn't base my actions on another person's opinions. That remains true. But also true is that I'm no longer excited about the Excelsior, for too much time has passed between the NAMM tease and the actual arrival of the amp to market--and I'm more excited about having 230.00 to apply to the purchase of another guitar.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I played it TODAY. Nice clean and light crunch. Got gross sounding very quick, and doesn't seem much louder/fuller then most 5w/10/12inch combos. Good price, but idk what you're really supposed to do with it.

• Members

It was ok, I guess. Like I said, it was a decent fender clean. I guess I was expecting something more off the beaten path, sound wise. The three different inputs changed things very little and the bright/dark switch went from ok to "oh my god, who turned the treble to zero?"

Tube amps with simple designs like this are VERY dark sounding without some help. That's why, in the past, such things as TREBLE BOOSTERS were all the fad. Since then they've put reasonable tone-stacks in most amps which allow you to dial in the amount of treble/bass/mids you want.

The Excelsior has implemented a Tone Switch that puts a bright capacitor in the circuit. So you can go from it's natural sound [very dark] to full treble with nothing between.

As I said above, it would be very simple to add a 1 or 2 dial tone-stack [use a stacked pot for the 2 dial if you don't want to drill holes] and you'll be able to dial in a wide range of tones between full bass and full treble.

The design of this thing is also very similar to an old Deluxe - you get your sweet spot around 6-7 on the volume knob. Push it harder and your tone turns to {censored}. Turn the volume down and you don't get as much grit.

It's not rocket-science folks.

and you'll be able to dial in a wide range of tones between full bass and full treble.

The design of this thing is also very similar to an old Deluxe - you get your sweet spot around 6-7 on the volume knob. Push it harder and your tone turns to {censored}. Turn the volume down and you don't get as much grit.

It's not rocket-science folks.

I agree with everything you said here. Sweet spot is 6 -7. I will also add that you can't base an opinion solely on one amp played at GC without the benefit of a decent warmup. That being said, whenever I test a guitar at a GC, I always run it through a Blues Jr. No matter what, it always delivers tones I like and is consistent amp to amp, store to store. I actually think the Excelsior can be an enjoyable amp but it wouldn't be a go to for me unless I only wanted the sweet spot tone.

• Members

Well, tried one of these today. I pretty much loved it. Didn't have a chance to crank it past 9:00 on the knob or so, but the basic sound of it was quite nice, and I loved the trem. Will need to see just how loud it'll get before I decide whether or not to buy, but I basically adore the thing already.

Fender, props to you.

And yeah, if that dark side of the switch is the natural state, perhaps it's a good thing I acquired a Colorsound Power Boost clone last year....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

FYi, I wasn't terribly impressed with it at first, but I stopped at a GC today (on the trip back from Sweetwater :D), and a guy was playing a LP Trad Pro through a OCD and a HOF reverb into one - it sounded fabulous. He was using the OCD as a very subtle boost, and had just a touch of reverb on the HoF - opened the Excelsior up quite nicely :)

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Howdy guitar playes, tone heads and amp chasers. Been playing 38 years. Always loved Fender products.Tried and played all the best of many products. The Fender Excelsior feeds all my tone and fullfills my guitar tones as well as I ever wanted. 15 inch speaker wow. 13 watts perfect. High, low switch,cool Tremolo is fantastic.This amp did it for me. Tube sound and harmonics. My secret is also my Fender 70s reissue strat that I modded with the Eric Clapton complete mod with noiseless pups, the treble mod and fuzz, distortion mod. Much better than the stock EC guitar. I modded my guitar my self from the EC components sold seperatly. I owned the Factory EC and did not like it. Any how This amp also my secret pedal is a Vox SE Tone lab. These units together are a date from the greatest sound I ever have. I play Page, Clapton but really love Trower. I can get the real sounds and it stays true all the time. Thats my story. I love it.

Archived