Fender Excelsior

SrMeowMeow

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am sure it is the same grand construction as the princeton recording amp I once owned - - it was junk. I suspect they have similar $79 DVD player quality components. Also, I made the mistake of impulse buying a Greta this week - huge mistake. The thing sounds horrible. It works better as a decoration than it does an amp.

• Members

I am sure it is the same grand construction as the princeton recording amp I once owned - - it was junk. I suspect they have similar $79 DVD player quality components. Also, I made the mistake of impulse buying a Greta this week - huge mistake. The thing sounds horrible. It works better as a decoration than it does an amp.

It's got typical pcb amp construction gut shots exist. What did you expect from the Greta's 4 inch speaker

• Members

A FYI post, for fun.

excelsior_amp.jpg
excelsior_amp.jpg
Excelsior158007.jpg

Check this out. See that meter on this old Excelsior below ?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwwEE9uZTsAbez0or863Z

Hmm :wink:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEWmKdJMyoXXX2iV6wAPj

Here is an old dual chassis/15" Sano combo. 5 tubes upper chassis, 5 tubes lower chassis. Sano built Excelsior.

crateamp183.jpg

Same deal, Accordion, Guitar, Instrument/mic inputs. Plus tremolo, reverb, bass, and treble controls.

er038.jpg

sanoquickies004.jpg

More here, including a slide show. Click replay at the end of the slide show and it will actually start pt 2.
http://www.larryjohnmcnally.com/sano_amps.html

Just thought it would be fun to see what Fender is shooting for with the Fender Excelsior. The old Sano's were high headroom and the reviews of the Fender seem to indicate it is as well.

They're making 'em like they used to, sort of :cool: Anyhow, hats off to Fender for their take on an old school design.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I played one yesterday, and fell in love. Probably the best $300 item available for guitarists at the moment. My buddy was kicking himself for not buying it, and I would have snagged it myself if I hadn't spent all my dough on a Jeff Tweedy SG. I told him to relax though, there's gonna be a million of these things on the used market for a song in 6 months. Then I'll by 2 and run em in stereo.

• Members

Those are surprisingly fat traces on those PCB's and it's nice to see the components are a fair size and spread out so the heat dissipates properly. And chassis mounted tube sockets. What's not to like?

power-left.jpg
power-right.jpg
preamp-left.jpg
socket-wiring.jpg

Well okay, the MDF baffle is a bit annoying but not a deal-breaker. And it does look like a reverb tank could be mounted sideways, like one of those vintage shots shows. Since the circuit is wired to a tone switch, it would be easy as pie replacing that with a more complex tone-stack.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Besides a substantial speaker upgrade, what mods can tame the early and harsher breakup aspects so it'll provide a peach fuzzier, more saturated/compressed sweetness that will allow it to sing more than growl?

• Members

Besides a substantial speaker upgrade, what mods can tame the early and harsher breakup aspects so it'll provide a peach fuzzier, more saturated/compressed sweetness that will allow it to sing more than growl?

Changing the tone switch to a proper tone stack would be very easy. And since the preamp and power amp are already separated and connected by a cable, doing an effects loop would be a very simple mod.

• Members

huge fail on these IMO. I would have bought one if stores had them. Oh well, I got a cox tweed deluxe instead

There was a returned Excelsior listed at MF when I looked yesterday if anyone is hungry to try one.

For me, I have had one on order for months, but I think I'm going to cancel it.

• Members

The sound was almost dead on to my Champion 600 only louder.

For me, that wouldn't be a good thing. I (I'm not telling anyone else how to feel about this) hated the 600. I had hoped that the Excelsior's 15" speaker would mean more fidelity, but it seems that will not be the case.

• Members

For me, that wouldn't be a good thing.
I
(I'm not telling anyone else how to feel about this) hated the 600. I had hoped that the Excelsior's 15" speaker would mean more fidelity, but it seems that will not be the case.

Trying to be diplomatic. I wasn't especially impressed. The overdriven sound was not pleasant to my ears.

• Members

It was ok, I guess. Like I said, it was a decent fender clean. I guess I was expecting something more off the beaten path, sound wise. The three different inputs changed things very little and the bright/dark switch went from ok to "oh my god, who turned the treble to zero?"

I'd take a superchamp x2 over the Excelsior.

• Members

It was ok, I guess. Like I said, it was a decent fender clean. I guess I was expecting something more off the beaten path, sound wise. The three different inputs changed things very little and the bright/dark switch went from ok to "oh my god, who turned the treble to zero?"

I'd take a superchamp x2 over the Excelsior.

I think you saved me 270.00.

• Members
Wow, no one has played one yet, and in the course of a few dozen posts we've gone from the anticipation of absolute sonic perfection to the inevitable realization of obvious limitations.

To me, it's an amp that seems to have a great deal of potential, so I'll remain excited (with realistic expectations) until--and hopefully after--I get a chance to actually play one.

;)

Archived